Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamabirrd

UPDATE: Wow! 10,000 Traveling Daylily posts!! Wow!

mamabirrd
16 years ago

This round robin is an extension of a wonderful group of talented, generous and spirited traders, the Traveling Daylilies, who when at all possible trade Daylilies. The way into this group is to have traded with at least one of us and to be recommended for membership by one or more members of the group. We are not snobs, we just want to protect each other and you from any game traders... should there be any. If you know any of us, email privately and they will be allowed to get you in on their recommendation. We'd love to have you!

Our group is grieving the loss of one of it's members, Carmen (pins2006). I think our next 10,000 posts should be dedicated to her.

We will miss you Carmen.

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

Comments (104)

• mamabirrd
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I wanna' come to Gatlinburg!!! What a great idea Gloria, and generous offer to pay for the digs! When DH and I visited that area a few years ago I just fell in love with it. It is so beautiful.
    Spring is really going to be a busy time for me, so i'm not sure that I can swing it. I'm hoping and a prayin' that we will be close to moving in to the new house and I can only imagine how crazy things are going to get. And I just can't imagine leaving my sweet baby yet either. : ) I'm sure you can understand. But don't count me out yet....we'll see what happens. According to my calculations, Gatlinburg is about 472 miles away. Drive time is about 7 hours 51 mins. Not too bad.

I'm going to be digging so many plants in the Spring for relocation to the new house and i'll bet I will have tons of divisions that I could bring. : )

Angie, beautiful garage & border! What is the spotted? variegated? plant on the end? Looks like a tropical that I used to have. Those are nice rocks!

Dianne, HUGE HUGS! I am thinking about you.

Marea, Sounds like the time spend with your friend at the frog hop was "toadilly" cool. ; )

Anita & Jo....where are you hiding????

Susan, how are things? HUGS

Mary, Mary.......hello and hello!

Hi Karen & Sharon!

Paul, how has the "rebuilding" of your plant collection been going?

Cody, how is life back home?

Cindy O....Oh Cindy! Hello to you too!

Hi Sherri! Did you see that crazy Mountain Dew commercial with the chainsaw wielding Ferret? At least I *think* it's a Ferret???? I almost peed my pants!

Melissa......I really love the tropical sleeper you sent the baby! I will take a pic next time he's wearing it.

Hello Shirley!

Hello Nancy!

Gloria, LOVE your template on Ebay and DD's cookies are so cute! They look delicious! Woof, woof!

Canna, you deserve some sort of Boy Scout medal of honor. I can't even imagine how crazy that night must've been! LOL I want to hear more. : )

Debbie, I believe I told you how much I loved the wedding pics, but just wanted to say it again. You all look lovely!

Jean, how is Bird-Bird?

How are ya' feeling Barb?

I know i've missed some of you, but please know I think about you all everyday. : )

What a terrible tragedy the Minnesota bridge collapse is. I really have such a hard time fathoming how something like that can just fail and crash completely to the ground. Unbelievable! The infrastructure in our country is really in need of serious repair. My state is pretty much at the top of the list.....can you believe we have over 5500 bridges that are structurally deficient or obsolete????!!! Check out the link at the bottom. It's an interactive map that lets you see how many bridges your state has and how many are in need of repair. PA has always been known for it's horrendously terrible roads, so I am not surprised that our bridges are in such bad shape.

Have fun with the swap everyone!

Still hot and steamy here in Western PA. We've had quite a few 90+ degree days with more on the way. Little Talon & I have spent almost the entire summer inside....just too hot to take the little fella' outside.

Poor baby got his 1st round of immunization shots on Monday. He screamed and cried and Momma needed a lollipop on the way out to make her feel better. ; )
    He ended up developing a small fever so I spent Mon., Tues., & Wed. trying to keep him calm & cool. He seems to be all better now.
    He's doing so good and is up to 13lbs. & 4 oz.! My little linebacker!

Speaking of which, Steelers training camp has been in full swing, right up the road from our place and we have our 1st pre-season game this Sunday against New Orleans. You know I am excited. DH and I have already planned our snacks!! : )

Bricklaying has begun at the new house!!! Poor DH, works all day in the 90 degree weather then comes home and lays even more brick 'till the sun goes down. I give him 5 gal. of ice water to take with him....and he usually needs more. I don't have the most recent pics loaded in yet, but i'll post some from the other day on our pic thread.

Hope you are all doing well.....try and check in if you can.

HUGS,
    ~Dawn (mamabirrd)

Here is a link that might be useful: Deficient or obsolete bridges, state by state

• budsnblooms
    16 years ago

Morning TD's,

Here's the list I have so far of who is in the trade Gloria has going. Let me know if I've missed anyone.
    1.Gloria
    2.Shirley
    3.Marea
    4.Debbie
    5.Anita
    6.Carol
    7.Anita
    8.Jean

As far as who is going to Gatlinburg. Here's what I have so far:
    1.Gloria
    2.Shirley
    3.Marea
    4.Debbie
    5.Canna
    6.Carol (A maybe)
    7.Sherri (A maybe)
    8.Dawn (a maybe)
    9.Barb (can't come)
    Did I leave anyone out?

Have a wonderful Sunday. It just quit raining here. So I won't get to start planting the new daylilies from MARYOTT'S. All I can say is WOW, I can't believe the size and number of fans they send. I just love their sales. Just in time for the trade too:0) Everyone who has signed up needs to update their pages so we'll know what to send you. Especially if you ordered from Maryott's, you want to get something that you don't already have on order.

Debbie/budsnblooms

• barbamaman
    16 years ago

Hi troops, I'm fine, just tootling along thru summer with my dandy power chair. I go just everywhere, up much steeper than recommended, thru ditches and over rocks - I'm pretty adept at getting it stuck or muddy or both. Great fun!

Look at Talon grow! Keep the pictures coming, Dawn, and you know, you look FABULOUS! How did you do that?

Does everyone have tons of pods this year? I have a nice little horde of DLs from last year's seed and this next batch of pods will be even more interesting to try!

I think I completely burned out (and maybe, up!) DH with all the digging he had to do for me this year. So much new garden! He's not alarmed by weeds so things always look shaggy to some degree. Since can't pull 'em, I refuse to be overly bothered about it!

There's an Italian Greyhound fun race coming up later this month. I'll see if I can get DH to take me and Luther.Seems like the only time I get out is to go to the doctor.

Sharon, are all your spider fans taken? I never turn down a pretty spider - is there one for me?

I'm going to give up on the pretty Confederate Rose Deni sent me. I can't get it to bloom and I don't have room for it indoors. Anybody know how to get those to flower in Z5?

Susan - waiting for blooms from Brug 'Apricot Moon Flower'. The cool nights have slowed them way down. Good old Frosty Pink is wowing the neighbors again this year.

I tried to keep track of a few of my blue wind flowers for you, Anita, but they got engulfed in Mayapples and vanished. It was you who wanted some, wasn't it? Next year for sure.

Marea, my Seeing Blue and Garden Palace Beauty need another year before dividing. Yours then if you still want them. I would love to have your lovely gold edged pink.

Paul my Christmas cactus turns out to be a mini. I watered it hardly at all and it took off happily and grew. Looks silly in that big pot - now I have to get it to bloom.

See? Told you I have nothing interesting to report.

Barb

• juspeachy
    16 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Here it is 10:30 pm and I am still up, wow!!! I have been reading posts. I am usually in bed and asleep waaaaaaay before now.

I couldn't get my poor computer to bring up the "picture" thread, so I will just have to live without seeing all your wonderful photos.

I miss you Carmen, but I know you are in no pain, and are probably helping to tend all of Gods gardens.

I am sorry to be so scarce this summer, but we have had so much to do around here. We did almost nothing last year, and everything has gotten so far ahead of us. We have made a lot of progress though. Our gardens are really beginning to look like I have envisioned them. I have hundreds of daylilies in bloom right now. Along with a datura that somehow seeded itself and came up from last year.
    Our little grandson Alex is growing so fast it is unreal.
    Our other four little darlins left around 9 tonight (another reason I am still up)
    Our oldest son is coming out for a visit (from Chicago) next week, so we are really looking forward to that. I need to get the guest room ready, because for some reason it becomes a repository for all the things no one knows what to do with "right now". (as in... Well, we will put it in here for "right now")

I really do miss all of you, and I am sorry I don't get on here more. I seem to be busier now than when I worked 60+ hours a week. But, I do want all of you to know, that you all are in my prayers every day.

I got the e-mail from Debbie about Gloria's wonderful idea for us to get together next spring. And, I was very excited to see it.
    2 years ago I would have been there with bells on, but with no room for hubbys, I regretfully have to pass. I won't go on a vacation without him. Nearly losing him has made such a difference in my outlook, and as much as I would love to come and be with all of my wonderful friends, I simply cannot bring myself to do it.
    But, I will expect lots of pics, "sent to my e-mail" "a few at a time please". If you post them on here, I won't be able to see them, this old puter just can't do it anymore. She really needs some work, as I have been having some problems with her.

Anyhoo, big warm hugs to you all.
    with special hugs to "Anita, Debbie, and Marea" Hug,Hug, Hug

Jo

• veeja11
    16 years ago

The last of my children that came for my 60th has left, here is a pic of me with them all, I miss them, gonna try to make it to gatlin, just got a floral designer job, but sure I can get off next year. my kids{{gwi:1288017}}hugs carol

• mareas
    16 years ago

Carol - you did GOOD!!! What beautiful people! Congratulations on your new job, too. ~m'

• mamabeargloria2007
    16 years ago

carol... your 60?????? all those kids girl look just like you! beautiful....
    wish i lloked as good as you now.... im 23! lol
    lol
    oh my gosh am i funny!

bad computer problems...

i sent debbie and email to give all your partners names....
    drum roll p;ease/

shirley has debbie
    anita has angie
    carol has marea
    i have jean

im doing this from memory.. so maybe we should wait on debbiE! smiles..

gatenlingburg cming right along..... we have surprises... dont we shirley///

canna how far are you from there????

how about the week after moms day... may 2008
    would that work for everyone???
    all snow gone by then right canna???

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    i heard from gay... remember gay!!!!
    how cool huh!!!

Its 104 degrees here... im sure you heard about us on the news.... i have to hurry and sleep while the sun is down....
    my poor dogs... oh
    i have a new puppy free-shaw
    beash?
    who can spell that mess???
    want to see a photo??? I can do it now... how cool is that???

debbie where are you??? did i do lisdt right???
    help.... let me know
    end of aug would be better right to ship.... its soooooooooooo stinkin hot!
    hugs, but not to close... smiles.... g

• budsnblooms
    16 years ago

Hi All,

Sorry G., I was sick yesterday so I am just getting around to my e-mails.

Here's a copy/paste of Gloria's e-mail.

1.Gloria has jean
    2.Shirley has debbie
    3.Marea has carol
    4Anita has angie

trade is 10 daylilies.. or whatever you and your partner aggress too...

open list.. send whatever you want...

list to partner..

one surprise from your garden... or home...

must list when box arrives its contents...

boxes ship 3rd week of aug.

its 100 degrees here now... oh help!!!!!!

wait until you read all i have planned for gatenline burg

my compyeter has been down. worked on it three days..

fixed then broke..

having room built on to house...( in this heat)

bought a new car!!! yeah!!! another convertible!!!

have a new puppy"HONEY"

be shaw frees? cant speel it, will send photos... marea i loaded my camera!!! am soooooo jazed!

if yall can really try to come to gatenline burh.... this is the first of something we will not forget!!!!!

what ablast..

yeah canna... your coming right??? too fun..

di... you simply must!!!!!

how yah doing????

love you guys.... gl

As far as who is going to Gatlinburg. Here's what I have so far:
    1.Gloria
    2.Shirley
    3.Marea
    4.Debbie
    5.Canna
    6.Carol (A maybe)
    7.Sherri (A maybe)
    8.Dawn (a maybe)
    9.Barb (can't come)
    10.Dianne (A maybe)

Now to continue my e-mail...thanks to all who have complemented me on my daughters wedding. She, Pete and Shelby are coming this evening to stay the weekend, so I have to get busy and get the house ready.

Big hugs back to you Jo. I'm so glad to see you posting. I hope your life slows down a little so you can have some time to come visit with us.

Carol...everyone is right, you do have a beautiful family. And I have to say you look like you are just as mischevious as you often sound. I love it.

Hi Rebecca...time for more pictures of your two young'uns.

Where's Ellen? She used to post pictures of the cutest little blondie.

Gloria are we waiting til the last week of the month to mail or the 3rd week?

Debbie

• mareas
    16 years ago

Bichon Frise, Gloria! (pronounced "beeshon freeze") OH YES, please show us your new puppy!!

Carol, my dear mischevious partner, do you have a list of daylilies you have? Daylilies you want?? I'm open to any surprises you want to share.

Debbie, I interpreted G. as saying last week of August... ~m'

• TakingRoot
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone!
    (remember me....lol)

Just checkin' in......

Around a 103 degrees for the last few days and today will be in the triple digits too.... we are breaking records here from the 1900's....

Hope everyone is keeping cool....

Jaye

• veeja11
    16 years ago

I am badly wanting destined to see. how about you partner? did my gw list get zapped? gotta go check on that. hugs carol

• toomanyanimals
    16 years ago

Ellen and Debbie, you all must be melting in that heat!

Diane, how are you doing? How did the surgery go?

Debbie, you sure do have a lot on your plate! A new puppy with such a cute name, she must be a real Honey. LOL
    And a new addition to the house, yikes!
    Pictures of both would be cool!

I'm just going out to clean the Garden/tool shed today. Got to find one of those masks ... too many mice live in the shed during the winter ... mice doo doo you know causes Hanta (spelling?) Virus.

Hubby finished with the kitchen counter at the cottage. He used dark green/ with splotches of lighter green granite tile. He wanted to tile the master bathroom at home this way, but I said I wanted to see if he could do a nice enough job at the cottage first. And he did a great job, so I guess this winter he may be tiling the bathroom. :o)

Here is a before picture. Sorry for the mess. :o/
    When my Dad redid the cottage about 15 years ago he used almost all 'used' materials. Things he found from the 1970's ... counters, windows, shower, ect. The cottage hadn't been revamped for 50 years, so even this was a nice big change ... we finally got a hot water heater and shower!
    Click on pic for bigger view.

Here is the finished counter. The cupboards on top my Dad made and will be staying the way they are ... pine wood stained a red maple. The bottom cupboards we painted an ox blood red. It would be nice to have a black fridge and stove, but it is just a cottage, so we will keep what we have till they die. The stove is from the 1950's. Yikes, it will outlive me!
    We replaced the micewave with a smaller one and made the shelf smaller. We also replaced all the drawer pulls. Sure would have like to have the 'bird' pulls you got Dawn. :o)
    {{gwi:1288022}}

We hope to replace the floor in the cottage in Sept. Still deciding wheter to go with pergo or real wood. It is a cottage on a lake so it has to resist water.

I still have a couple daylilies blooming ... Truly Angelic, Autumn Jewels, Pizazz, and believe it or not, my Wren's song is still blooming. She is even getting the hooks again this summer, must be the heat. Wow is she big and beautiful!

I'm so happy this year ... no rust in the garden. I didn't get any daylilies from the south this year, that must have been where I was getting it. Whew!

Later all, sharon

• budsnblooms
    16 years ago

Hi Friends,

Just wanted to check in long enough to tell you that I have been sitting at the hospital with my Aunt. She has been diagnosed with lung cancer which has spread to multiple parts of her body. She has been given 3-6 mos. to live. She is in terrible pain and was told that sometime in the past she has had a bad heart attack that left her heart only operating at 50%. She is not a canidate for chemo or radiation. Only comfort measures are being taken at this point.

Maretta (my aunt) has a son in MD who is no help and a daughter who is sitting with her mom day and night...so I am going to relieve Teresa (my cousin) so she can go home for showers and some rest. I hope to do this every other day. So if I don't respond to e-mail's etc. for a day or two at a time, you will know what is going on.

Shirley, I am thrilled to have you as a partener. I have taken a quick glance at your want list and have some of the things on there so I will be e-mailing you soon to see if you have gotten any of them since last updating your list. I also have something special I want to send you. A surprise that I hope you will like.

Thanks Marea...you are just the best at interpreting our dear Ms. G. (wink).

Sharon...I love your family lake house. It must be heaven to own a place on the lake like that. It's been one of my dreams...I love to fish and especially love the peace and quiet of being on the water. I am happy for you that you have such a dream place. Keep us posted on the improvements.

Talk to you more later.

Debbie

• mamabirrd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just wanted to say HELLO to everyone!

We are doing well.....baby is getting BIG. He will be turning 3 months old next week!!! Wow, I can hardly believe it.

And our dear little Maleah is headed off to school....oh my! How time flies. Canna, she is gorgeous. Thank you for sharing those pics of your beautiful family.

I guess everyone is very busy....this thread was started on July 3rd!

Jaye, nice to hear from you!

I have tons of catching up to do, but i'm typing one-handed so it will have to wait until I have two free arms, lol.

The bricklaying is coming along fabulously at the new house. DH is more than 1/2 way done already. I'll post some updated pics after I visit there this afternoon.

Sis Jenna and I took the babies to "Critter Country" yesterday. It was a hoot. I've got some pics of that too. Niece Brooklyn will be turning one very soon!

Hugs to all.......i'll be back soon.

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• rockyridge
    16 years ago

Hello everyone;

I would very much like to join this group of traders. I am an avid daylily collector and have around 75 hybrids....and am dabbling in hybridizing myself. I just got done planting over 100 seedlings. Only started about 4 years ago so you can tell what a NUT I am. Compulsive collector by nature I guess. : )

I'm not sure if I have actually traded with anyone on this forum or not. I know several of you from other forums.

Would someone please trade with me so I can join? I really love daylilies; everything else I grow is just to show them off. LOL

veeja11 - Wanna trade? I may just be able to squeeze one more fan from that clump of something you want!!!

Hugs to all

Roxanne

• brittneysgran
    16 years ago

Hi Roxanne I will trade daylilies with you. I found several on your list that I have been looking for. Also
    i have these from your want list:
    Indian Giver
    King Kahuna
    Moonlit Masquerade
    Peggy Jeffcoat
    Will send you an e-mail

Shirley

• rockyridge
    16 years ago

Hi Shirley -- Thank You! I was looking at your 'Trade Page'...... WOW!!! How many people do you have working for ya? LOL! You have sooooo many plants. I'm in AWE!

I'll be looking for your e-mail. I may not get back to you until Monday if that's ok. My husband has been gone for 3 weeks; he wasn't supposed to be home until mid-week but called and he's on his way home now. Whoopee!

Roxanne

• brittneysgran
    16 years ago

Roxanne-I sure need help with all these plants...I have a hard time convincing DH that I need all of them. Your e-mail is blocked so I can't send you an e-mail. I can't send or receive through GW. If you will just send me an e-mail flowerlover1@verizon.net and give me your e-mail.

Shirley

• mamabirrd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just wondering where Anita is? She's got to be done pig-roasting and wedding hosting by now.
    Anita....oh Anita! How are ya'?

I posted like a zillion pics on our other thread. : )

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• brittneysgran
    16 years ago

Sharon-Your cottage looks great...I like Debbie think something like that is a dream come true. I would love a get away cottage. Land here is so high now it's almost impossible to buy any for the retirement days. I sure wish I had bought up some years ago when it was cheaper. I guess camp gounds will have to do when I want to get away for the week-end. We are re-modeling our camper, we have lots to do yet before we are finished. I hate white floors so we are putting down a floor that looks like hardwood flooring.

Debbie-I also am thrilled to have you for the daylily swap. I hope to get an e-mail to you soon about several.
    I am so sorry to hear about your Aunt. You are a special person to help out during this. When my grandmother was in a nursing home they never had to feed her any of her meals. Her children and grand-children took turns feeding her every meal. I fed her on Monday nights after work. I really enjoyed our time together.

Roxanne-Hope you and your DH are spending quality time together. Will expect to hear from you on Monday.

Shirley

• veeja11
    16 years ago

Roxanne, sorry but you told me on the other thread that you didn't have any more of that day to share, I have since found it. I just moved and can't really do a trade right now, but looks like Shirley has agreed to trade with you. sorry carol. Marea your box should be there. awhile ago I chipped in some fabric for a special blanket. was it made ? never heard if it was received. can't remember who was making it. someone please update me. thankyou senile carol

• mareas
    16 years ago

Carol, I showed off what all you sent me on the photo thread & hope you got my gushing, grateful email.. I really love all the cultivars you sent, from little Zinger through Country Holiday to Lori Goldston!! And I was about to buy a fan of Strawberry Candy - one cannot have enough of that - so thank you again! My Beanie Baby Ted Bear with daylily is sitting on my computer & my pet tree frog is sitting on my new dragonfly rock!
    Jo is still working on that quilt...

• veeja11
    16 years ago

I received some of the biggest fans of daylilies I have ever seen, from Marea today !! I got Mareas angel!!! daylily seeds, allium bulbs. destined to see also !!! plus many others. I love my box. Thankyou Marea. I'm still dead from working this weekend. every hole I dig is rock, I have mounds of good soil to put in them. I will plant tomorrow, no matter what, I work wednesday. thankyou. hugs carol

• toomanyanimals
    16 years ago

I am going to see the lunar eclipe today on the way to work ... too cool! Better get going so a I don't miss it. LOL
    sharon

• mamabeargloria2007
    16 years ago

im in!!!
    I could not get in.... marea.. im in!

i broke.. no i craked my ribs.. am in sooooooooooooooooooo muc pain... just four days...
    i mean bad pin.. is tis getting old????

jean... where is jean//// can we wait another week? my plantsa re cruncy... youll get good ones... smiles.... can we do sept 4t weekend/// its so ot ere..
    i cant do anyting wit rigt arm.. breathing hurts..
    email someone about jeam...
    sick mamabear..hugs

• rockyridge
    16 years ago

Shirley....Just wanted you to know I'm still here. I pulled my back out and have been going to the Chiropractor EVERY day!!! It's starting to feel better. I have had 3 surgeries in 18 months and was finally feeling like my old self again. I guess I have been doing too much 'diggin' in the dirt' for my back. Just like me!!! Trying to play catch up and do 2 years worth of neglected gardening in one summer. I'll look over your trade list tomorrow and e-mail ya.

Carol.....I had promised a girlfriend some of that DL but she is going through a remodel and has a grandbaby literally due any minute. I talked to her a few weeks ago and she has put a hold on outside planting and is concentrating on other things right now. She said she would rather get it next year. So of course I thought of you. I'm really glad you found one.

Roxanne

• mareas
    16 years ago

Dawn & all, just gotta share the news of the daylily induced baby boy who was just introduced on the unnamed daylily swap thread here in the RR Forum.
    Amanda got her swap last Thursday, planted all her daylilies & then delivered her baby boy in the wee hours of Friday!! Made me think she's a girl after your own heart, Dawn, LOL! She posted sweet photos on the thread.

Paul, thank you so much for the glimpses of the LA Arboretum! Of course I loved the Bishop's Hat bud, too. (That particular photo looks just like my compound: assorted succulents, coleus, canna, cement, cracked pot & all...) Please do let me know if you upload more photos of your visits there.

Sharon, forgot to congratulate you on the lovely cottage! That kitchen is so ROOMY and elegant compared to my RV - wishing you many happy times there. I slept thru the eclipse - hope you got to see it.

MaryS was able to email me back finally - she has virus/anti-virus computer problems so can't get online much or for long. She & her family were not hurt by that terrible weather & her plants are recovering nicely from the rain!

Happy Labor Day Weekend everybody - wishing you lots of laughs and the best of barbeques!
    marea

• pchanggeo
    16 years ago

Marea, that cracked pot was given to us as a wedding gift. I had to change some of the succulents because they got too big, but the pot remains.. got the crack when it fell over during the Northridge earthquake. Lots of history there :-).

Canna, I'd love a piece of the euphorbia. Also, if you have a small piece of the stapelia available, especially that first one, I'd be happy to have it. I'm trying to get a collection going... I can trade you something for it. Let me know.

Dawn, thanks for the ID on the caterpillar. I've seen the butterfly. No crysalis thus far... I think the birds are picking them off. Great photo of that swallowtail. I've never seen one in person. Very cool. Love the house, love the slugger/linebacker.

Have a safe weekend everyone.
    Paul

• mamabirrd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

HAPPY LABOR DAY!

Hugs,
    ~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• veeja11
    16 years ago

Big soft hugs to mamma bear, feel better now!!!love and prayers are with you. hugs carol

• mamabirrd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, this thread is officially over 2 months old. Where did all our Traveling Daylilies go?

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• nyvoices99
    16 years ago

I'm still here:)Trying to get things done , as winter is soon on us, will try to post again soon.. :)Anita

• brittneysgran
    16 years ago

Gloria and Roxanne-Sorry to hear you are having health problems.

Anita-Glad to see you posting. I do see you over on Daves, that Calla Lily coop sounds good.

Fall is moving in on us it feels really good early in the mornings and late at night now. I do love Fall of the year.

Shirley

• mamabirrd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Anita & Shirley! Good to see you both posting.

Come back when you have more time Anita. : )

Shirley, i'm noticing that hint of Fall in the air too. Talon & I had to stay inside almost all Summer (boo hoo!!!) 'cause it was just too dang hot for a baby. Maybe we'll get to go out more now. I'm really looking forward to next year though. : )

Hi Carol! How's the new yard coming?

What's wrong with our Mamabear???

Guess what????

The bricklaying is ALL DONE!!!!!

Doin' the happy dance for DH!

Hugs,
    ~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• brittneysgran
    16 years ago

Dawn-Yes I can see why you would have to stay inside with Talon, this has been the hottest and driest summer ever. Yeah all the bricklaying done...I'm so happy for you guys.

Just got home from a volleyball game. We lost but had lots of fun. Every year I say this is going to be my last but I just can't give it up yet.

Debbie-I finally got the daylilies and the beautiful gourd you painted. Oh my goodness I can't believe you painted the gourd, you are a great painter. I must take a picture and post it so the others can see. I will treasure it forever and ever. After I went to our post office looking for it a lady said I had to call the PO in Charlotte, NC and that it was still there. I called the Charlotte Post Office and they told me about the breakable getting broken. She called my daylilies scallions, I thought everyone knew what daylilies looked like. She then asked me what I wanted them to do with the box. I said mail it on to me please, duh. Well anyway I got it today and love the gourd and these great daylilies:
    Debbie sent:::::::::
    TANGERINE HORSES
    LOLAPALOOZA
    ASHEVILLE CITY LIGHTS - Don't live that far from Asheville
    PARADISE CITY
    ISLE OF ZANZIBAR
    TAR & FEATHER
    HILLBILLY HEART
    BABY BLUES
    BLACK JACK CHERRY
    GENEVA FIRE TRUCK
    MAKING DOUBLE TIME - Love doubles
    FABULOUS FRINGES - Yes I do love this one Debbie
    RUFFLES ELEGANTE
    So many from my want list Debbie, thank you ever so much.
    I now have them planted in their new home. I hope to dig yours this week-end and mail out on Monday. I loved the sweet card and do hate the wine broke.

Shirley

• nyvoices99
    16 years ago

Has anyone talked & or any E-mail's from Angie? I have sent her an E-mail about the 10 daylily swap, she said she was going out of town for a few days, but that was like 2-3 weeks ago, ANGIE if you are reading this we need to catch up on our swap..:)Anita

• mareas
    16 years ago

No word from Angie here...

Oh Shirley, what a GREAT box!! So glad you got those super daylilies that I've read on your wishlist for so long!
    (I'm just about in tears hearing that your bottle broke, though - Debbie sent 2 to me last Christmas and they were two of the best wines i have EVER tasted...)
    I sold some plants on eBay for spending money and am digging daylilies today (unpotting actually) so will try to get some of the ones you wanted to trade for in the mail today, too, as well as the 'Susan P. Petit' that Gloria gave you for Christmas. I apologize again I forgot to send that this Spring.

Dawn, Mamabear tore two of her ribs off the cartiledge & is one hurting bear !! A horse did that to me when I was a large animal nurse & life was ALL about my ribs for two entire months, it's worse than cracked ribs...
    HEARTY CONGRATULATIONS on the brick laying finish! Yall are getting so close to moving time already, I'm still amazed at how fast it's going.

I was pretty successful in my first year of hybridizing - been harvesting loads of seeds that are giving me visions of blue & purple sugar plums dancing in the breeze...
    I surprised myself & fell in love with the sunset colors of 'Wisest of Wizards' and have several crosses that hopefully will give me a whole range of warm, honeyed shades of peach, yellow & apricot with very fancy double edges...
    One of my favorite flowers this year was another surprise to me: 'Black Spot'. It deserves a better name! It's such a velvety textured, completely sunfast deep black maroon purple that seems larger that it is because of it's presence... In a garden filled with over 30 different purples, even my non-gardening visitors were drawn to that one.
    **I'll share a pkt of these special seeds with whoever comes up with the best name!**
    Will post a photo in the other thread, *grin* marea

• mamabirrd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Marea!
    Poor Mamabear! I know all too well the pain and agony that goes along with that injury. My husband suffered the same thing as one of the consequences of our motorcycle accident. It still bothers him to this day if he happens to strain himself.

**Feel better Gloria!!!***

Marea, your pics are gorgeous! I agree that the name 'Black Spot' is a bit boring for such a stunner. It looks soooo velvety!
    It's hard to be sure of the color with every one's monitor's being a bit different, but it soooooo reminds me of one of my favorite things come harvest time.....so I have come up with this name...

'Pomegranate Plush'

When my birds eat pomegranate, it leaves a very lovely shade of a dark, blackish-purple, maroon-y stain on my walls. ; )

Great job with all the seeds! I can't wait to see what you come up with. 'Snazzy Memories' had quite a few blooms this year. A VERY strong plant! It is so much like Snazzy!

Anita, I haven't seen Angie around in a while. Hope she stops by soon.

Yesterday was the 1 year anniversary of my positive pregnancy test. I can't believe how much time has passed since rubbing my eyes and squinting...trying to see that faint, pink line. : )
    Talon is 3 mos. & 2 weeks old and is weighing in at 15 lbs. & 6 ozs!

Happy Friday everyone!

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• brittneysgran
    16 years ago

Marea-Oh I'm excited about getting more daylilies. I have cleaned out some beds and now have room for more and more. LOL...Boy that lady at the post office gave me an awful lecture about the wine. Said it was illegal to send wine through the mail. I guess only if they open the box and find it. I had just ordered Susan P. Petit so I called and canceled it when you said you would be sending it.

Thank you Gloria for my Susan P. Petit daylily. Hope your ribs are mending...Ouch I know they hurt.

Marea-Love those daylilies...Wisest of Wizards has always been a keeper for me. Will have to think of a name for the other one.

Shirley

• raggedyann161420
    16 years ago

I'm popping in to say Hi, and please forgive me for not posting. I have a hard time being two places at once.(I know , no excuse)

I wanted to welcome Roxanne to the group, and hope your back is getting better.

Wow, Talon is a big 3 months old now, and Dawn congrats on how well the house is coming along.

Ok, I need to hit the road, but will promise to not stay away. You daylily pros sure know how to pack boxes. Maybe next year I will have some to play with.

MammaBear hope you feel better soon.

I miss Maryb, I will give her a call when I return home, maybe I will be lucky enough to catch her.

It has been so hot here, plants looks kinda yucky! It was 88 today, but we did get some much needed rain. It is suppose to cool down sometime this week-End

I'm on the road again!
    LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• budsnblooms
    16 years ago

Shirley...I am so glad you finally got your box, even if the wine got broken. It just shows how roughly the PO handles our boxes. As you saw, I had marked it "Glass" and "Live Plants". Wonder what happens if you don't mark them to let them know that there are fragile items inside???

I wish you had gotten to see the label though...It was made especially for you. Also, I have spoken to different people in various Post Offices about mailing wine. Each person gave me a different answer. One told me that it was okay to mail wine as long as it was under a certain proof. My homemade wine isn't proofed, even if it was, they wouldn't know what it was because they broke the d--n bottle;0) I'll bring you some when we go to Gatlinburg in the spring. Don't let me forget.

Gloria...OUCH!!!That does sound really painful. Hope you heal quickly.

Marea....Thank you for the nice complement about the wine. I'll have you a bottle waiting when you come and see me this spring. I can hardly wait to show you over the farm. Maybe when you get settled in your permanent home I can return the visit.

Welcome Roxanne. Glad to have a new member. I've been away from the group a lot recently and have missed out on your joining.

Now for the sad news...My aunt passed away late yesterday, she was cremated today, and there will be a memorial for her tomorrow in her hometown (London, KY). This is the aunt that I have been helping my cousin by sitting with her a few times a week. Maretta (my aunt) was 66 years old and died of cancer one month after being diagnosed. The blessing is that she is no longer suffering and is in a much better place.

Hello to everyone...I have missed you, and hope to be back and more active in our group again soon.

Debbie

• brittneysgran
    16 years ago

Debbie and Annie what a nice surprise to see you posting again. We miss all the ones who can't post for whatever reason.

Debbie so sorry to hear about your Aunt. Gentle hugs coming your way, will be thinking of you and all your family during this difficult time. Yes you had that box marked and it did no good, they just toss and throw and don't care what they break at the PO's.

Still need rain here and lots of it, the weeds don't seem to mind though they grow regardless. DH and I have been weeding all the flower beds. I told him he needs to help before hunting season started or he can't go!!!!!!! Yeah right

Shirley

• veeja11
    16 years ago

Next swap could I have Talon please ? boy is he ever a cutie. I am expecting my first gg child in febuary, can't wait. is there a sept swap ? Mamma G it is great to see you back. I've missed ya. At my new job they have the cutest f. would you kill me if I sent her to you ?Where is Jo ? hugs to all carol

• User
    16 years ago

Hey, everyone, I'm here! Hopefully the weather will cool some and we'll all scurry back into the house for some computer time.

My medical leave has me mostly quilting inside with the AC keeping me comfortable.

Good to catch up a bit,
    Dianne

• mamabeargloria2007
    16 years ago

hi all I am here broke ribs and all.... i love you!!! all
    hi roxy!!!
    can i call her that?

• mamabirrd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A very sad time for me, and many others who loved him.

In Memory of Alex.........

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

Here is a link that might be useful: Alex

• veeja11
    16 years ago

I am sending lots of love to mamma G. does everyone realize what a wise woman she is ? and how lucky we are to have her ?just one problem she don't wanna let me send her frogalina. I'm gonna send her then mamma can give her to anyone she wants if she does not fall in love with her. just wanna post that she is one special lady. hugs carol

• mareas
    16 years ago

Carol, just send me the dang frog ~ please? I adore frogs and she's afraid of them. You have my address. ~m'

• brittneysgran
    16 years ago

Marea I LOVE YOU....thanks for all my daylilies especially Bohemia After Dark, I have wanted that one forever. Good grief do you know how to grow daylilies or what. The roots are huge on all of them. I'm sending you a list to choose from.

Debbie-Your box of daylilies went out today.

Dawn so sorry about Alex.

Shirley

• mamabeargloria2007
    16 years ago

ok how many messages does this thing hold these days.... lets start a new one dawny...
    I almsot out of painpills so i need to yack while i still can...... hugs

can we take the post from caorl where she says how nice i am to the front lol!

immmmmmmmmmm miserable....................
    but life is good......
    as our dear annie says!!!!!
    hugs