Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rgillman

microfiber cloth question

rgillman
16 years ago

Now that I have stainless appliances, it's time to focus on how to keep 'em looking good. When I searched microfiber cloth on the Internet, I found microfiber towels (as in TOWELS) and smooth microfiber cloth. I hate to sound silly, but does it matter which you use to clean your stainless steel?

Comments (5)

• llaatt22
    16 years ago

You can get bags of microfiber cleaning cloths at Costco in the car cleaning products section. Microfiber was apparently first designed to be used in getting the integrated circuit production clean rooms clean enough manually so that electronic air cleaning equipment could cope with keeping the air very pure.

There are Internet articles that suggest cheaper microfiber lacks a critical final process which is important to get the best cleaning results. Little help was available on how to launder dirty cloths when I searched. I read some hints that suggested washing in very hot water using Ivory hand soap followed by a rinse in water at a similar high temperature.

• rococogurl
    16 years ago

Have several different brands of microfiber cloths. I don't see difference in performance, just the way they hold up or not. I get them at Target.

After liking the cloths so much I bought some of the towels -- waffle weave ones. They are fabulous and I'm slowly switching over from the cotton.

I clean stainless with hot water and the cloth, then dry it off with the towel. If there are marks to blotches, I give it a few spritzes of 3M cleaner. I have stainless counters in addition to appliances and they are a breeze.

But cloths or towels are equally good. I found out about them here and now can't imagine how I did without them.

• alexamd
    16 years ago

I have had really good luck with a Cosabella microfiber that was specifically for stainless steel cloth. I just wet it and wipe my appliances. I have never needed to use anything but water and the cloth. It is fabulous. Before I got it, I had some special stainless steel wipes which left an oily residue and required a whole lot more work. I will admit that I haven't tried my other microfiber cloths to see if they do as well as this one. Cleaning has never been so easy. I will have to try the towels.

• ken_from_md
    16 years ago

Micro-fiber towels are great for a number of uses. I first used them in my obsession with cleaning/detailing my cars. They work really well in cleaning, applying and removing waxes and leaving a streak-free, lint-free finish. This carries over to the kitchen really well.

The regular type micro-fiber towels clean well with just water. If you have something really greasy then a little dish soap should do the trick. The waffle-weave towels are mainly for drying and light clean-up. There are even micro-fiber towels specifically for cleaning glass.

To be effective you have to take care of them though. They should only be washed with them selves. They will pick up lint from other laundry items. Don't use bleach or softeners in the wash and don't use dryer sheets either. Use hot water to break down grease and tumble dry on a low setting. I use a mild laundry detergent called Charlie's Soap. After waxing the cars and cleaning the towels I also run an empty wash on hot with some of this soap to remove any residue that might be left behind.

I buy all my towels online through car detailing sites. My favorite right now is www.exceldetail.com. They sell the soap as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: micro fiber towels

• rgillman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, everybody, for your input and info. I stopped this afternoon at Bed,Bath & Beyond and bought a package of microfiber towels. Ken, thanks for the caveat about washing them only with each other. The package included a small eyeglass cleaning cloth along with the towels. I'm ready for the fingerprint onslaught - LOL.