Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mominthedubc

Help me decide between Monogram and Electrolux (& Miele)...Please

mominthedubc
16 years ago

I would be so appreciative if anyone and everyone could put my DH out of his misery and HELP ME make a decision about our appliances. I have finally narrowed down my choices to two. I never thought it would be so hard to make a decision on these. But, if anyone can advise me and help me choose, I would be forever grateful, not to mention my DH ... Thank you so much!

Okay, I am choosing between:

Dishwasher - Miele Optima G2470SCVI or Electrolux EWDW6505GS

Double Oven - Ge Monogram ZET2SMSS or Electrolux EW30EW65GS

Refrigerator - GE Monogram ZFSB23DRSS sxs CD or Electrolux EW23CS65GS

Thank you again for any insight you can give me.

Comments (13)

• beherenow
    16 years ago

I have had the Miele Diamante for about 2 months now and love it. It is incredibly quiet. Cleans great. I just needed a few lessons on loading it but am beginning to figure it out.

• mominthedubc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Beherenow, Thank you. If you think yours is "incredibly quiet", the one we are considering is suppose to be the next step up in terms of quietness, so that's great. We NEED a quiet dishwasher as our kitchen is part of the family room.

• starfish24
    16 years ago

You are in the same boat as us -- stalled out on final appliance decisions. I have not seen the Electroluxes, so I cannot speak to those. OT, though, can you tell me what made you decide to go with the Dacor cooktop? (Or feel free to tell me if you already covered this in another thread.) So many iffy Dacor reviews around here that it made me nervous.

• mominthedubc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

starfish24, Isn't it crazy how hard it is to choose an appliance?! Oh well, I do feel I am getting closer, thanks to GW. I am waiting for the definitive recommendation or complaint from someone to help me decide.
    Anyway, we chose the Dacor PGM365-IS/NG ONLY because, this model has a special surface that is suppose to be easy to keep clean and doesn't scratch and I have heard that it is a good cooktop. This is actually the one item we haven't changed our minds on!

• User
    16 years ago

I have read on this forum some pretty negative comments about the Electrolux Fridges; you may want to do a search and check this out.
    HTH

• hollylh
    16 years ago

I don't want to confuse matters, but we have an open kitchen/family room and we have a Bosch DW. It isn't silent, but I really can barely hear it and it is never close to a bothersome level. I don't know the model--it is about 4 years old--but I do know it was about $600 and it's the lowest level of complexity, ie the fewest buttons, because I realized that it was basically $100 a button and the only ones I really needed were Off and On!

• mominthedubc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

kas81057...thank you, I'll try searching for any info.

hollylh... good to know.

Thank you!

• clinresga
    16 years ago

OT, but We have had a PGM365 at the lake house about a year now.
    1) Looks good. Nice stainless finish, cool blue LED's on control knobs, reasonably hefty feel to grid.
    2) Cooks well. It's not a BlueStar, but the one 15K burner is hot enough to sear stuff reasonably well. The 11K burner is also good for most day to day cooking. The other burners are fine for more mundane tasks
    3) the two dual ring simmer burners are quite good, can go very low. Nice for polenta, grits etc.
    4) the "shot peened" stainless finish (around the burners only, the finish around the control knobs is a more conventional stainless finish) is nice in not showing fingerprints and dirt as much (but see below)

Dislikes (none are major)
    1) Wish the 15K burner were front and center, rather than front and left. Hood ventilation would be better if it were centered under the hood. As it is, with a 600 cfm VAH hood running on full I get just a touch of smoke spillover when really cooking hard
    2) the shotpeened finish is certainly not stain proof, and may even be harder to clean with some stains. Early on we neglected to wipe up some spattered oil before going on to use the adjacent burner. It baked the oil onto the surface and nothing we tried including abrasive cleansers (wince) worked. Finally on the advice of Dacor we used oven cleaner and it came right up, with no residual damage. So--looks nice but no panacea

Can't comment on reliability after only a year but no probs to date and Dacor was reasonably responsive with our one inquiry. Price I thought was pretty good. Hope this helps.

• mominthedubc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Clinresga, thank you for your detailed response. Gosh, the reason we are going with the Dacor cooktop is due largely in part to everything we have been told in that it cleans up better and doesn't scratch! Guess I will buy some oven cleaner just to be safe.

• starfish24
    16 years ago

Thanks re Dacor cooktop info -- I also decided to look at it because of clean-up. Aarrrghhh! Pendulum swings back to Wolf, I guess, despite complaints about cleaning that, too. Life was easier when we just took whatever appliances the builder put in....

• teched
    16 years ago

starfish24--The negative comments about Dacor are about the ovens. The cooktops are tops if you don't want the "pro" look. I did alot of research and there are few if any negative comments about the Dacor cooktops. I test drove a gas one at a friend's house and it was awesome. Mine is still in my garage waiting to be installed, though.

mominthedubc--We went for the Miele ovens and DW, all based on GW and other consumer research. We already owned a KA ss fridge, which is fantastic if you like ss.

• mominthedubc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Teched...THANK YOU! Sounds like you have done a lot of research, which is what I have been doing (seems non-stop) for 3 months now. I think there is something to the old saying, "Too much information..." I am overwhelmed.

I have been going back and forth so long, I don't know what end is up! Consumer Reports rates a CD GE Profile Refridge pretty good and no KA, so now, I am back to square one but keep coming back to the opininions on GW. Does your KA sxs have ice and water in the door? Thanks.

• starfish24
    16 years ago

Thank you, teched, re Dacor. I will indeed go check out the cooktop but I am concerned about the cleaning aspect -- though maybe that's just life, i.e., cooktops will need to be cleaned!