Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blairgirl

Need advice on choices on the cheap for a half bath

blairgirl
15 years ago

I'd love to get any advice on some things I've already gotten for a half bath (this is THE bathroom for a master bedroom, and it has to be done on the cheap!)

Okay, this is the vanity. It's wall mounted, which is necessary in this bath, because style is great, but I need storage and a place to put like soap, etc. The vanity comes with an ugly mirror I'm not using, and I'm thinking about recycling the wall-mounted shelf. The vanity is what's important.

***I like the vanity and the sink (the faucet is going to one I'm posting below.) QUESTION: I hate the white front, and I want to paint it or change it. I need suggestions on what to do with it!

Here's the faucet:

Faucet

The jewel in all this, where the rubbed bronze is coming in, is the mini chandelier. I got this one cause it's gorgeous, but because it uses a 100-watt bulb, which is just more practical than little chandelier lights. This will be the main fixture in this tiny bathroom.

my chandelier

I'm going with a nice white Dalton toilet. I love this tile, and I want to do a thread of it behind the vanity, flanked by something beigey or white.

I'm thinking of something beigey/white for the rest of this small room, or maybe the wall behind the toilet (first thing you see when you go into this room) to be this color with everything else in the room neutral:

paint

I want to retile the floor with maybe a white/marbley looking 12" tile, set on the diagonal.

Okay, so any suggestions? PARTICULARLY about what color to paint/faux finish/whatever the white front of that vanity!

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• megradek
    15 years ago

I love the tile, paint and the CHANDELIER!! to die for! I agree that something must be done to the white fronts - do you have to use this unit or is there something else out there that wouldn't require the extra work and still be cost effective? Do you definitely want a 'floating' unit?

Here is a link that might be useful: here's one I found

• blairgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your help! I love that chandelier, too (I got it cheaper, but I've been on a hunt for so long it was inevitable I'd find it on sale.)

There's a formica vanity in that bathroom now. I understand why they had a wall-mounted vanity, because the room is SO small. You could do a pedestal sink, but that takes up floor space and would make it look even smaller.

My big reason for picking a wall mounted vanity like this is that there is actually space to put stuff ON it. It drives me nuts that all these sinks and stuff in small bathrooms are so impractical if you have to actually USE them. (This half bath is the bathroom for a master bedroom, so there's no way to bump it out, and that costs a ton.)

I'm working within the small space, so I'm getting a vanity that is smaller than what's there now, but has a good amount of space for STUFF.

I don't love it, but it suits the purpose. I just hate the white drawer fronts (which is probably why I got it so cheap.)

the other "motif" if you will in this bathroom is that rubbed bronze of the chandelier (hence the faucet.) I was thinking I could faux paint the front to just blend in with the dark wood vanity, but I could bronze it as a glaze. I don't know - it's probably too much. (Of course I'll change out the hardware on the vanity.)

I just need some advice about WHAT to do with the white front.

And btw, thanks for the link. That vanity is nicer, and I love the sink, but the actual space around it for STUFF is even less than this vanity. That was my singular concern, and I'm not giving up vanity top real estate!

• busybme
    15 years ago

In our last house I installed the Ashfield vessel version of that faucet in the same finish. And, I've purchased one to use in our current 1/2 bath for when it comes time to redo it...so I really like that faucet.

However, it is pretty rustic/country looking with it's pump handle and all. I think it goes alright with your chandy, because of the finishes, but not so sure about using a glass tile in such a contemporary color with it.

It seems that your vanity/shelves and glass tile are ultra modern and your faucet, chandelier and floor (if you use a 12" marble-look tile on the diagonal) are quite traditional.

Maybe if you paint the doors to the vanity it will all blend better? What are the doors made of? Probably a laminated mdf?

Anyway, just thought I would share my opinion, since you asked! : )

• momfromthenorth
    15 years ago

If the vanity doors are laminate, it's going to be hard to paint them and have the paint actually stick over time. Especially in a bathroom where there will be moisture. You might try taking the doors and drawers to a cabinet person and see if they can make new drawer/door fronts for you out of wood that you can stain or prime and paint. A high gloss black would be striking.

Another thought would be to leave that white front and put some softer hardware on it that matches your faucet, in the ORB. That might tone down the starkness of the white vanity front and pull it together with the other items.

We had a very tiny bathroom in our last house with a wall-hung sink. I had someone build a vanity that was only 12" or 15" deep - can't remember exact measurements - and surprisingly it was not expensive to do (since it was so small) That gave us tons more storage. We extended the tiled counter top over the top of the commode (only 6" or 8" deep) so we ended up with 3x's the counter space. It was sheer bliss after living with that wall hung sink for years and no counter space or storage.

• sonepi
    15 years ago

Did you ever decide how to fix the vanity drawers and cabinets? Have you completed your renovation. If not, what are the dimensions of your bathroom? Do you have a layout. I agree with Sippimom that if the toilet is next to the sink, maybe entending over the toilet tank is a great idea. With the space you have, did you consider a full to the floor vanity for more space for storage. Not sure what your budget is on the sink/vanity, but here is a link of some contemporary vanities, http://www.masterfaucet.com/bathroom-floor-stand-vanity-left-side-bowl-mirror-p-66.html