Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carsonheim_gw

Bought a travel trailer for construction office

carsonheim
10 years ago

Howdy!

I just bought an old, small 5th wheel travel trailer to put on our lot as a a construction office. I'm an owner-builder, so I'll be on site micromanaging my subs every day, LOL :)

It was cheap -- $1800 and I'm betting I can sell it off for the same price after the project is over.

Anyone else ever do this?

Comments (6)

• MFatt16
    10 years ago

Good idea!

• User
    10 years ago

Hope it's got a generator! Winter is coming. :) Not every location has zoning that allows this, so it won't work for everyone.

• worthy
    10 years ago

Good idea--until it gets broken into a few times.

I don't even leave any lumber on site if I can help it. Especially unused ply; I load it into a utility trailer and bring it home; or the carpenter uses his high-lifter to put it on the roof.

And all this is on city lots. Out in the country--fuggedaboutit.

• worthy
    10 years ago

Good idea--until it gets broken into a few times.

I don't even leave any lumber on site if I can help it. Especially unused ply; I load it into a utility trailer and bring it home; or the carpenter uses his high-lifter to put it on the roof.

And all this is on city lots. Out in the country--fuggedaboutit.

• flgargoyle
    10 years ago

Travel trailers are cheap past a certain age, as long as you can get away with it on your lot. I've been using a pop-up on our rural acreage, but I actually live in it while I build the house. I built a barn first, then moved the camper into the barn for more comfort and security.

It's probably not a bad idea to stay in it from time to time, and somehow get the word out to the locals so they think twice about theft or vandalism. Once you get temporary power, rig up an automatic dusk-to-dawn light on it.

• carsonheim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Trailer was delivered this morning. We put chains through the tires and a lock as a deterant from theft -- don't want the trailer to disappear!

Also, this thing is sooo easy to power up. Just plug it into our temp electric once that's hooked up. I am really looking forward to using it! I don't plan on leaving anything out there; just working inside when the subs are on site.

I looked over the deed restrictions for our neighborhood, and having the trailer during the construction process is acceptable. Hoorah!