Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
golddust

Tell me about your dog beds

golddust
12 years ago

I'm in the market for a good quality dog bed for Jack. I'm tired of trying to dispose of the cheap Costco beds and am looking for a rectangle 'couch' bed that is washable.

I've looked at Orvis beds and checked into LL Bean. Any other brands I should be considering?

Comments (19)

• natal
    12 years ago

If I had a dog those would be my top choices. I buy kitty beds from Dr's Foster & Smith and Wag.com.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

The Orvis beds are the best. I have three and have had them for about 8 years. They wash wonderfully, wear like iron, don't fade and still look great.
    But they're expensive! Although compared to all the twenty dollar beds I've bought and used up, not really.

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

My dogs like the Harry Barker beds. Yes, they are expensive, but ours have lasted a really long time and I like the covers (decor-wise). We have one in a fun animal print, and another in a solid green that matches the wall color in the room its in!

• golddust
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bumblebeez, what Orvis dog beds do you have? Sue, I'm going to check out the Harry Barker beds. Are the covers washable?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I have these below in Tattersall. However, my dogs are not chewers so I can't comment on that aspect. The inside nest is far superior to cheap beds too.

Here is a link that might be useful: orvis bed

• maire_cate
    12 years ago

Our previous dog chewed through the Orvis Tough Chew and I returned it. You have to credit both Orvis and LL Bean - they do stand behind their products and give no hassle refunds. Now that I have another puppy I will try the Orvis bed again but this time I'll wait until she's older. She does chew, in 30 minutes she chewed the corner off one of the Orvis heavy duty dog toys that I picked up at the store on Saturday.

• jakabedy
    12 years ago

We have two of the round LL Bean beds in the heavy twill fabric. One of them is 8 years old and has sadly outlasted the pup it was purchased (and monogrammed) for. The other is about 5 years old and looks like new. Our youngest pup did some chewing on the zipper of one of them when young, but it hasn't really affected the use or look of the bed. I would recommend them heartily.

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

Yes, the Harry Barker covers are washable. I've washed ours many times.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

I think all 3 of our pet beds came from Target. I have a small (10 lb.) pup and she likes the cushy little beds with a side. She curls up in one like a cat! One especially is very plush. She doesn't chew and is only in them for "naps". But, all 3 of them are probably around 5 years old and have held up very well. None are worn out.

tina

• allison0704
    12 years ago

I purchased this one for our dog several years ago. He loves it - the double donut bed:

http://www.fetchdog.com/pet-supplies/dog-beds/dog-couches-bolster-beds/top-dog-sofa-solid/H10006S

DD2 recently purchased new beds for 2 of her 4 dogs. She already had 2 made with Crypton fabric and ordered two more from here. I really like them. She has to wash hers way more than I do. The Crypton repeals water, dirt and smells. She ordered the Jax & Bones pillow beds from here:

Here is a link that might be useful: Dog Bed Works - 25% off sale

• Boopadaboo
    12 years ago

Just wondering if anyone uses a heated dog bed that they would recommend. I would like to get one for my three cats to share.

• neetsiepie
    12 years ago

Boop, my friend just bought her pug a heated dog bed, I'll see her tomorrow and ask how he likes it.

My idiotas have Costco beds, but prefer the sofas or my bed, if they can get to it. But at night, they do actually sleep on their beds. I have a small dog bed with a removable cushion that now sits in the hall outside my bedroom that one of the dogs uses at night. But my lab Max thinks the cushion is a toy and tries to go run with it.

My biggest problem is the beds moving all over the floor, so I'm thinking I might steal a Pinterest idea and apply caulk to the bottom of the beds, should make them non-slip on the floor.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

Pesky, use a piece of rug grip, it will work great and not be permanent. I.e. if you ever want to flip the beds.

• allison0704
    12 years ago

Boop, DS had a heated bed for his cats in Chicago. They loved it.

• golddust
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I dropped my wad at the Orvis store. Ordered Jack a memory foam Deep Dish Dog Bed today. Size XL. $349. Ouch!!!

• golddust
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I chose the Brown tweed cover. I read the fleece sheds and the brown tweed should hide any shedding hair between washings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deep Dish Dog Bed. (Ouch!!)

• allison0704
    12 years ago

Fetch Dog now has new exclusive memory foam beds. Also have orthopedic foam beds.

DD2 and I have both ordered from them in the past. I mentioned them above:

Here is a link that might be useful: Memory and Orthopedic Dog Beds

• User
    12 years ago

I feel like a bad pet Mom cause I never even thought about buying bedding for our puppy. I just put a lap blanket she gravitated to in her kennel crate and called it a day. She likes it though, it's got fake down in it and a soft fuzzy covering. She never chews it and it washes easy. I have a second one in the back of my jeep for her to sit on when she rides with us. The cat also likes it and they usually end up sleeping in the kennel crate on it together.

• funnygirl
    12 years ago

I've been looking at dog beds on "Cabela's" site. Prices seem fairly reasonable and reviews are given w/most if not all. Right now they're offering free shipping on entire order if it includes a clothing or footwear item, FWIW.