Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amysrq

Anyone have experience with large fundraising dinners?

amysrq
13 years ago

I am working with my women's biz organization on an annual Night of Comedy and dinner to support local organizations for women and girls. (Shelters, Dress for Success, Girls, Inc., etc.) We met over the weekend for the post mortem, discussing what went well and what did not. We have a big issue with RSVPs and I was hoping someone here might have a solution.

The deal is we have table sponsors and smaller groups of people who attend the event together. Trying to keep track of who is sitting with whom is a nightmare. We have taken payments via PayPal and personal checks...even cash the night of. But figuring out who sits where is a mess and it gets handled "manually" with multiple emails and phone calls -- very time-consuming.

What we're looking for is some kind of WordPress customizable shopping cart app for our website or an on-line Invite system that allows us to gather more information...like who are you sitting with or who is your table sponsor. Imagine all these payments coming in separately and no one knows who they "belong" to.

So...any experience out there, my friends?

Comments (9)

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

I'm confused. Are there people paying separately to sit at a table that is "sponsored"? Meaning, is Company X asking to sponsor a table, but then having the table invitees pay separately for their seats? If so, that's just crazy. The sponsor of the table should pay for the entire table in one transaction. Then if they are collecting the cost back from some or all of their invitees, they can do it on their own. As for RSVPs, the table sponsor should provide you a head count for its table. As for individuals, or groups of individuals, I would add on the reservation instructions that groups can only be guaranteed seats together if the tickets are purchased together.

Or are you saying that a company can sponsor, say, half of a table? Then other individuals can fill the other half of the table? That does sound like a logistics nightmare. I just think I'd do away with that option entirely.

• xantippe
    13 years ago

I work at a non-profit that does two events a year. We don't do dinners at work any more, but we have a walk fundraiser and use Blackbaud (Kintera) to accept payments/registrations. I think Kintera is clunky, but it certainly makes things easier. Check it out here: http://internet.blackbaud.com/

I attended an event that used Eventbrite for its registration, and that system was fabulous. Highly recommended! Eventbrite's link is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eventbrite

• suero
    13 years ago

How many tables?

I've used an Excel spreadsheet. Each table seats 10 (or 11 at a pinch), and we use the spreadsheet to print out name tags. For a high dollar ticket fundraiser, we print the table number on a separate tag and slip it in the back of the name tag holder. This allows us to make changes on the fly as folks come in. For a lower ticket fundraiser, we print the table number on the name tag. If folks want to change tables, they can do it on their own. For really low ticket fundraisers, we don't care where they sit.

• amysrq
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jakabedy...yes, you've got it right...and it sounds like it was a nightmare! (I am new on the committee, having just volunteered to pinch hit the night of the event.) Sponsors did have people submit separate payments and some walked in with a fistful of checks. I agree with you that it should probably be the responsibility of the sponsor.

The way it worked for me was that I joined a table my friend C was putting together. But I paid through Paypal directly to the organization. Another friend L also wanted to sit with me, so I called C and asked if L could join us. C said yes. L paid through Paypal. Organization had no idea L was linked to C. (clear as mud?) The problem I see with your plan above is that it is so much easier for people to pay through PayPal. But PayPal doesn't seem to have lots of options for gathering details.

I like your verbiage about seating together only if purchased together. We are thinking that there needs to be some kind of box to enter each name in for a multiple ticket purchase.

We are not doing half tables. It's ten or nothing.

Xantippe, I will look at the websites you mentioned. Thanks!

Suero, we had approximately 36 tables this year. The issue was gathering all the names and matching them up. We did not do name tags. But, we are considering having people print out a ticket online to get in. We did use spreadsheets and it was still a lot of legwork tracking down the seating info.

This is not a big ticket event, btw.

Thanks everyone, for the input. Off to look at Eventbrite. :-)

• deegw
    13 years ago

Is there an auction attached or do people get to choose between different food entrees? If not, you don't really have to worry about names or assigned seating.

In our case, we have sponsor tables AND let people buy individual tickets. Sponsors tables (which are more per chair) are guaranteed reserved seating. The table will have a nice sign, for instance, "Andrews Law Firm. Gold Sponsor." Andrews Law Firm sends one check and they determine who sits at their table.

Individual ticket buyers have seats but they aren't reserved. They sit where ever.

• housewitch
    13 years ago

I help with our community's Chamber of Commerce banquet every year.

We handle it by having the table sponsor deal with their own tickets. Anyone, business or individual, may sponsor a table. They pay us for the entire table, we mark ten tickets with the sponsor's name and give those tickets to the sponsor. They may do whatever they wish with the tickets at that point - we don't care who they give them to and don't try to track it. Presenting the ticket at the door allows the guest to be directed to the correct table - which is marked with a card bearing the sponsor's name.

Individuals who buy tickets are given general admission tickets, marked as such, and are allowed to sit anywhere they would like at any of the general admission tables. We don't even try to assign seats to g/a ticket holders. We only ensure that there are enough seats for every ticket holder somewhere in the room. It's generally no problem to find three or four seats together at a g/a table if you don't arrive late. Larger groups who want to ensure they can all sit together are strongly encouraged to go in together and sponsor a table even if they don't need all 10 seats. It's generally not impossible to sell off a couple extra tickets at the table you've sponsored if you only have 6-7 people and need to recoup your money on those extra empty seats.

Honorees, speakers, special guests or anyone who will need to be onstage at any point during the program are seated at reserved tables up front.

• lee676
    13 years ago

Nobody's mentioned OpenTable.com yet? They've run a multi-restaurant reservation service for almost a decade now, and it's now an iPhone/iPad app too. Not only does it handle the logistics, but also the inevitable special requests that many people have. Don't want a particular someone to see you and your dining partner together? OT won't show him any vacant spaces at your restaurant when you're there. Only want to eat there if you can get one of those comfortable booth seats? It knows. Need a long table for 20 or a separate room? It finds one. Like a particular waitress? You get the idea. You also get hidden coupons and discounts added to your account if you use it often.

• jen9
    13 years ago

I have lots of experience chairing large & small fundraising events - there are many different software packages available that manage the reservations, donations, table arrangements, and all auction item, bid sheets, raffles, etc. Donor perfect, events.org are a couple that the organizations I have been involved with have used recently - but there are many out there & probably some free ones as well. Well worth the dollar investment, IMO.
    Good luck-

• amysrq
    Original Author
    13 years ago

deee, there is no auction....we've just been trying to honor people's requests to sit together even if they are not at a sponsored table. It feels like we should turn that responsibility back over to them. I think the single check is crucial.

Housewitch, I might just copy and paste your post in an email to the board!

Lee, I am familiar with Open Table, but did not think they could be used for fundraising dinners.

Jan9, I have looked at the two sites you suggested. Thanks! Our problem is that we have a shoestring budget and are understaffed. (I know....who isn't?) I don't think we even have someone who has the time to research and choose the right program for our group....we are all small business owners, all women, most of us juggling family needs as well as our own growing businesses. Rather than getting onboard and up to speed with a program, I think we need to streamline things, but it is certainly something to consider in the future.