Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

*weird* upside of hot flashes...

mahatmacat1
14 years ago

This might seem like TMI, but it's so strange I have to post. I've been pretty sick the last few days, finally got antibiotics a couple of days ago but it's not going away (viral?). It's an upper respiratory thing, and one of my symptoms is a completely stuffed nose like someone's holding it shut--I can't breathe through it at all.

So I've noticed the weirdest thing, and it works *every time*. For no reason, my nose will suddenly open up and the swelled sides of the nose pull back, like the parting of the Red Sea. I can suddenly breathe *perfectly*, and my ears open back up--the change is astounding.

Within 5 seconds of the opening-up (I've taken to counting out loud), I'll get a hot flash!! I can then breathe for several minutes just like a normal person. Gradually, though, the swelling will reassert itself as the hot flash abates. So long to breathing through my nose until the next flash...

Whatever chemical or physical action is causing the hot flash to happen also makes my irritated, swollen sinuses contract! It's completely bizarre. I haven't read anything about it online, happening to anyone else or documented in any way.

I've been taking phytoestrogen and such to stop the darn flashes, but at this point I spend a lot of my day saying "come on, hot flash, come on!" Anyone else have this happen?

Comments (6)

• Oakley
    14 years ago

Do you think you could have polyps in your nostrils? I have one and it swells, then goes back down. I have to use Flonase daily to help keep me breathing. Sometimes I have to take Prednisone. Either that or surgery. Nose surgery for someone with allergies? Yikes!!

Are you taking a decongestant? That's what helps clear the nostrils and unstop your ears. I went a month without hearing until I figured out NOT to take an antihistimine and instead take a decongestant. That was scary.

But that's funny about the hot flashes! lol

• yogacat
    14 years ago

Interesting. I think there's still a lot that just isn't well understood about hormones. I was always one of those people who was too warm and overheated easily. I was dreading menopause, but I never had a hot flash. In fact, when I started menopause I seemed to "run cooler". When someone says that a room is chilly, I often agree now, instead of thinking that they ought to get their circulation checked!

Mother nature has a wicked sense of humor tho'. I apparently stood in the post-menopausal bleeding-that-looks-like-you're-going-to-die line.

• DLM2000-GW
    14 years ago

....."come on, hot flash, come on!".....

You are too cute. And weird!

• Oakley
    14 years ago

Yoga, I think I've had maybe one or two hot flashes since my surgery 5 years ago, but I've been running warm constantly and sweat easily.

Ever since my MIL went through menopause, all she does is complain about it being too cold in here, either in the summer or winter, doesn't matter. I would MUCH rather be cold and bundled up instead of sweating like a pig. lol

• golddust
    14 years ago

Fly, how funny. I'm glad there is *something* positive about hot flashes. I'm sorry you are still sick. Glad you got the antibiotics. They certainly have a real place once in awhile. How is your throat?

DH has polyps in his nose and takes medication too, Oakley!

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Whew! I'm *just now* crawling out from under this horrible bug! I dared not to take antibiotics last night -- I started on a second Zithromax round but only did one night of it...let's see if it was premature.

I don't think it's a polyps thing, although my tonsils were very swollen. Thanks, though, oakley. and I try to stay away from decongestants because I tend to get a rebound congestion which is a big PITA. The congestion is still there (still not minding the hot flashes :)) but it's not as nasty anymore. I hope it doesn't come back.

Thanks again you all and now you know you may have something to look forward to this winter LOL

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor