Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justmakeit

Local Kitchen Walk, and gratitude to GW

justmakeit
10 years ago

Yesterday, my kitchen was on the Kitchen Walk, a fundraiser for a local charity. 10 recently renovated kitchens open for one day. It was great fun to have hundreds of people coming to see my kitchen, and also to get to go see the other 9 kitchens. I used to be a volunteer on the Kitchen Walk when my children were little, 20 years ago, and I never imagined then that I'd actually have a kitchen *on* the walk!

I'll say a few things about the other kitchens, but first I wanted to express my gratitude to GW again. I looked around my kitchen this morning and realized a. that it is my favorite kitchen, b. it is smaller but more functional than any other kitchen I saw yesterday and c. it would not have turned out half as pretty or functional if it weren't for all the hours I spent here, posting a little, but mostly poring over all the excellent information everyone here is so generous with. I feel so lucky to have stumbled across GW!

Here's a quick round-up of my impressions from the Walk: quartzite is the new it-counter. Of the ten kitchens, 7 had quartzite, one had marble, and two had honed dark granite. The word about drawers hasn't gotten out as much as I'd thought. Many of these lovely high-end kitchens had mostly lower cabinets. Open shelves are not as popular as I'd thought: only two of the kitchens had them. And wow, stained wood cabinets reign here in the land of Frank Lloyd Wright. There were two white cabinet kitchens, with two others that had white uppers and wood lowers -- all the rest were wood. There were several gigantic barrier islands, and only a couple kitchens that didn't have Wolf ranges or rangetops. (One out-of-the-box kitchen had retro Elmira Northstar appliances, with a definite mid-century vibe.) Backsplashes: no glass tile or mixed stone mosaics or thin stacked tiles, only one white subway tile. Several three-dimensional tiles, several marble slab backsplashes, and one drop-dead gorgeous Ann Sacks marble and glass mosaic.

And that's the kitchen news from this suburb of Chicago :-) Thanks again, friends.

Comments (18)

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

How fun!
    It's strange to find that the world isn't as on trend or kitchen savvy as we think.
    I know I always feel like I'm missing something until I see someone else's, non-GW-influenced kitchen.

Congrats on being the best kitchen on the Walk!

• feisty68
    10 years ago

Very interesting! Thanks for reporting. Drawers rock - I cannot wait until my IKEA ones are functional.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

Thanks for the report.

Drawers are everything.

The people on GW are the best source of all-things-kitchen.

• flyingkite
    10 years ago

Looking forward to seeing the pictures!

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

justmakeit - thanks for reporting in, how lovely that your kitchen was included! I just searched and is it the one in Oak Park? The pictures that I can see of the kitchens are gorgeous (when you said 3 D tile, I had to search).

• suzanne_sl
    10 years ago

There are photos? I'd love to see photos, please link.

What a fun idea. I've never heard of this before, but would gladly buy a ticket for such an event in my area.

I agree with you on size, justmakeit. I also have a small kitchen and I find it to be much more functional than many larger kitchens.

• amck2
    10 years ago

Congratulations on having your kitchen chosen. We have a similar annual charity event in our area and I've gone for at least a dozen years. I almost always come away more impressed with the smaller well-thought-out kitchens.

• anitamo
    10 years ago

What an honor! Wish I heard of this event sooner as
    I don't live too far away. Sounds like a fun time and a good cause. I found a write up on line that I'll link below.

Oops...link not working. I'll see if I can fix it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen walk

This post was edited by anitamo on Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 21:50

• robynstamps
    10 years ago

The link above did not work. See if the following works.

Here is a link that might be useful: House Walk

• justmakeit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, good -- that linked article is indeed about the Kitchen Walk, and that's about all there is in the way of photos. There's a booklet that the people on the walk get, with a tiny grainy black and white photo of each kitchen, but I don't think there's anyplace online where you can see all the kitchens.

CEFreeman -- lol, I'm only the best kitchen on the Walk in my own admittedly biased estimation! Pretty sure many people would prefer one of the bigger, blingier kitchens.

feisty68 -- drawers do indeed rock! Can't wait to see your Ikea drawers when they're in!

blfenton -- I totally agree about the people of GW! Couldn't have begun to do my kitchen without this resource. I overheard my designer tell my contractor to let me figure out some issue they were having because I did the most research of any client he'd ever had, lol.

oldbat2be -- good sleuthing! The Kitchen Walk is in Oak Park and River Forest.

suzannesl -- I know! Smaller kitchens are often more functional than large ones. The trend here is to add big honking additions onto our smaller old houses, and while this often makes for a better space, it's no guarantee.

amck -- I'm glad to hear of another one of these events. Who among us could resist a peek into other people's kitchens? (We also have a House Walk of Frank Lloyd Wright houses every year, but I manage to resist that because the tickets are over $100 each!)

anitamo -- Sorry I didn't mention it before the event. Somehow I never think there are any GWers in the area. It is a great cause, too, and one I've supported in other ways for a long time.

robynstamps -- perfect! Thanks for getting that link up!

• juddgirl2
    10 years ago

Congratulations on having your house chosen for the Kitchen Walk! It's interesting to hear about what others who might not spend as much time on GardenWeb are choosing for their kitchens.

• Texas_Gem
    10 years ago

How fun!

Congrats on being featured in the Kitchen Walk. It really is fascinating to me to see what the trends are in different areas of the country and to see how different they are from what is currently trending in my own neighborhood.

I recently looked at our Parade of Homes and only one kitchen had painted cabinets, every other house, as well as the most expensive houses on the market and all the new builds had stained wood, granite countertops and tile floors.

Congrats again for being included in such an honor!!

• byzantine
    10 years ago

Hey, I think we live in the same place!

• bpath
    10 years ago

Justmakeit, were you in your own kitchen during the tour? Just wondered what comments you overheard!

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Awesome! I'd love to hear if you overheard anything too :-). With that lovely mosaic, your cork, and that fantastic window I bet it caught a lot of eyes!

• justmakeit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Aw, thanks for the congratulations you guys! I only stood in the kitchen for a little while, but in general, the comments were very positive. Interestingly, the backsplash got a lot more attention than the windows, but I think it was a little hard to see the windows with so many people jamming the kitchen. A lot of people had never seen cork floors before and asked how durable they are. (I suppose when people saw my "homeowner" name tag, they were careful not to voice their worst criticisms.)

byzantine, do you live in Oak Park?

Here is a link that might be useful: Here are photos from the archives of the Kitchen Walk, but not this year's

• byzantine
    10 years ago

In the northeast corner, by Austin and Division, on N Humphrey. Not the part of OP that usually ends up on a home walk, even if we were willing to participate. *grin*

• justmakeit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

byzantine -- the walk needs more kitchens in the northeast quadrant and south of 290!! (We used to live a few houses in from Roosevelt.) Nice to meet you :-)