Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

Dyeing in a washing machine

violetwest
9 years ago

Has anyone done this? I have something I'd like to dye that's too big for dyeing in a pot.

I know you can use a washing machine dyeing method, and I assume that includes a wash run after with hot water and bleach, but would it stain the machine or its fittings? Would dye be likely to show up in subsequent washings?

Comments (9)

• User
    9 years ago

Hi Violet.west. I just did this last week. I dyed a sofa slipcover from green to blue, using Dharma Trading Company dye, which was great btw. It worked really well. There was a bit of blue left on the agitator which I forgot to wipe it off until today but I don't see that it got on anything. But today I was washing my white slipcover and made sure to wipe off the blue with a microfiber cloth and ran a rinse after that. I didn't run bleach through it. No blue on my white slipcover.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

that is very helpful, thank you!

I love Dharma Trading! Can you tell me what dye product you used, and if you used a fixitive or additive?

This post was edited by Violet.West on Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 11:13

• louislinus
    9 years ago

I've also dyed in my washing machine. Works great!

• User
    9 years ago

I used the dye meant for tub-dyeing natural fabrics (my slipcover is cotton). I also ordered and used the soda ash and LOTS of white vinegar. I ordered pH strips too because I saw somewhere on their website that the bath had to have a certain pH but then I couldn't find the info when I did the dyeing so I skipped that part! They have excellent instructions online. Just make sure to set a timer so you can go back and turn the washer timer back so all of your dye doesn't go down the drain before the time is up. You will need to set it back numerous times.

• aputernut
    9 years ago

Yes, I've always dyed that way, but after I run just water and some bleach in it to clean any residue out.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hmm. I'll have to check and see what my washer will do. It sort of freaks out if I try to halt the cycle for soaking.

• User
    9 years ago

I think if I remember correctly you don't halt it for soaking, you keep repeating the wash/agitation cycle for about an hour? So I think I would set it back every ten minutes.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

This thread had the opportunity to be another "Cat Threw Up in the Washing Machine" thread. LOL. I'd rather dye in bed than the washing machine.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hardy har ;)