Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike_cho3

New kitchen, help with backsplash

Mike Cho
9 years ago
New home, I need your great ideas on backsplash. Definitely needs color, leaning towards teal-blue. Not sure if I should do brick lay or go more bold with mosaic. Any advice really helps!

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Quality Bath
    9 years ago

Beautiful! Loving your idea of teal blue :)

• PRO
    Elizabeth Babb
    9 years ago

I think the teal would be a nice pop of color, but I wouldn't do it as the main/primary color. I would do a border or accent in the teal. This way it is not to overwhelming, and you wont get sick of it as quickly.

however I would remove the existing backsplash. Applying the tiles above that will create a ledge (because the tiles are thinner). This ledge is an awesome place for dust and grease to collect.

Plus removing it really does create a much cleaner/simpler look

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    9 years ago

Hi, beautiful kitchen! i would suggest a beveled subway tile. To give you more ideas, please read my blog...http://bit.ly/1reZQzp. Good luck!

• printesa
    9 years ago

how about this? You can see more ideas in their project

Jimmy Jacobs Custom Homes- Canyons at Scenic Loop · More Info

• PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    9 years ago

I would keep the backsplash more neutral. Use the blues for large accessories or paint the surrounding walls the blue. Blue tile is forever...think resale, etc. Maybe a collection of blue ceramic or glass over the cabinets. Color without permanence.

• User
    9 years ago

My thought is that colors come and go so I'd do the teal in accessories and keep the backsplash a more basic color. Unless you're in a position to change it at will.

• Mike Cho
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Do you guys think any of this would work? Plus it be overwhelming if I went all the way up behind the hood
  • User
    9 years ago

I like the first one, but still love Studio 10001's suggestions of using a backsplash that is more bold. The colors of the glass (first sample) are subtle and muted. The other 2 feel busy and dated to me.

Here are some other tiles that I think would look terrific in your kitchen.

glass subway tile

Eagle Hills · More Info

Kitchens · More Info

iridescent mother of pearl

• printesa
    9 years ago

I agree with Karen. Also, try to go with a single color, meaning not something like your 2nd and 3rd choice

• Mike Cho
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for your help everyone!

I do like a subway tile, do you think I would be able to incorporate this bamboo glass tile with a teal tile?

And would it look good?
  • printesa
    9 years ago

it would probably work..Get some samples of the teal tile you like and see how it looks. It's difficult to see otherwise..it depends on the light as well

• User
    9 years ago

Yes, Mike Cho, and I think the above sample you picked will look nice and will tie in beautifully with your floors.

• PRO
    Quality Bath
    9 years ago

I love those Mike Cho!

• linlac
    9 years ago
    Love the bamboo glass tile. What about using those and bringing the teal color in with small appliances and accessories? This will allow you to easily change colors down the road.
  • PRO
    Arley Wholesale, Inc.
    9 years ago

Hi Mike,

Great kitchen, the black cabinets were an awesome choice. Teal blue would look awesome, especially in a subway tile, or a funky mosaic would look great as well.

Happy Houzzing,

Christiana

• Mike Cho
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Everyone is awesome here!