Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maddy_reynolds

Susan's NXR oven safety valve is broken. What's the part number?

Maddy Reynolds
8 years ago

Hi. I'm Susan (dirtybloomers). I'm the gal who a few years ago fixed my NXR's glow bar igniter and posted the photos so everyone could see the replacement part. Here's where to find it:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2288437/if-susan-fixed-her-nxr-oven-ignitor-u-can-2

Well, the range has been working like a gem ever since... until now.

Now I need your help. Does anyone know the replacement part info for the NXR drgb3001 SAFETY VALVE ?

(actually if someone could post info on many of the replacement NXR parts that would be a tremendous help).

Here's the info on the Valve: I think it is made by Invensys.

1118 B213721MNAT

NC 4125-5

Y-30128-128

I STILL LOVE MY NXR RANGE!!!!! As soon as I can get the part I'm going to try to fix it!

Comments (31)

• Maddy Reynolds
    Original Author
    8 years ago

here's photos

of the safety valve if it helps.

• Maddy Reynolds
    Original Author
    8 years ago

bump

• barryv_gw
    8 years ago

Susan, call or email Patriot Supply and see if they can help. They have one on their site that is close, though not exactly the one you wanted. They may have a cross reference that can help. https://www.patriot-supply.com/products/showitem.cfm/ROBERTSHAW_Y_30128_AF35

• homepro01
    8 years ago

Susan,

Did you contact the manufacturer or the retailer of your range? They may be able to provide you the parts supplier.

Good luck!

• hvtech42
    8 years ago

Not sure that calling the importer, DURO, would help either but might as well try.

How can a company get away with importing and selling products, yet not being able to answer the most basic questions about parts over the phone? Do they seriously not even publish parts lists for their ranges?

• Maddy Reynolds
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi. Thanks for all your kind replies.

I know I can get a new safety valve from Dvorsons but they're a little expensive and they won't tell me what the replacement part info is without buying one. I might have to go that route. Dvorsons is great but to ship from Cali to Maryland adds to the price.

In the meantime I contacted Durocorp and Patriot as well as many Ebay parts suppliers. Maybe they'll know the part that will fit... and offer it cheaper than Dvorsons.

Anyway, there's no hurry as I found out that it was my ignitor again, so I just replaced the ignitor myself and the oven is working fine. (I kept some of those ignitors on hand just in case).

It would be great, if when others repaired their NXRs , they would share the part info so we DIYers can get the parts.

I still LOVE MY NXR !!!!

• jwvideo
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

>>>"It would be great, if when others repaired their NXRs , they would share the part info"<<<

Indeed, and I should thank you, Susan/dirtybloomers/Maddy Reynolds for your old post which I used to identify a substitute part when it came time to replace my NXR's oven ignitor last spring. FWIW, when I took a copy of your old post and my old ignitor in to the local Sundberg, they had no trouble finding a less expensive duplicate while also cross-referencing substitutes

>>>"How can a company get away with importing and selling products, yet not
    being able to answer the most basic questions about parts over the
    phone? Do they seriously not even publish parts lists for their ranges?
    "<<<

HVtech, when I dashed off my little comment, I did not realize it could be read that broadly. I was focusing on cross-referencing from OEM parts to the much less-expensive generic replacements which is what I thought the OP was looking for. Duro support does have its problems, but I did not mean to suggest
    that Duro support people could not ever tell you what an OEM part number
    is. What I meant to say was I kind of doubting they would be able to tell you the parts numbers for non-factory branded possible substitutes.

There is food for thought in this, though.

When it comes to "getting away with" stuff, well, AFAIK, there no law or regulation on this for ranges. Therein lies a problem and a risk for appliance buyers. Postings here over the years have shown that parts/support issues are unfortunately common for newer brands to the market. And sometimes for established brands, too. Viking is one that comes to mind with having orphaned older appliances and generated complaints about being less than helpful with older products. Another example that comes to mind is from a discussion of the then just-released Samsung "Chef" induction slide-in. (IIRC, both you and I participated in that, so you might recall it, too.) . It turned out to be a real struggle to find out whether the new Samsung was spec'ed for a 40 Amp outlet or a 50 Amp one. The manual said nothing and calls to Samsung customer service and support produced no info either. That situation prompted the same kind of "how can they get away with not being able to ________?"

Mind you, I'm not trying to defend
    NXR/Duro's support by bashing Samsung's or Vikings. I am bellyaching about what I perceive to be a trend.

A
    countervailing point for the NXR -- for some of us, at least --- is that the NXRs are simple enough for DIYing. As with any gas stove, some things will need periodic replacing just as a car or truck needs new spark plugs or headlamp bulbs every once in a while. So far, it seems things that will need replacing are things that can be replaced with
    generic parts rather than unique OEM parts available only from the factory. (By "generic", I mean parts used for numbers of other ranges.) That, and the significantly lower cost of buying an NXR --- lower than other "pro-style" ranges --- makes them attractive to us. It makes them unattractive to others who are not similarly inclined.

• Maddy Reynolds
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Amen brother. What I'm going to do (when I eventually get the safety valve ) is post a photo of the label to inform others.

As for Duro Corp. I called them when the first ignitor broke and they DID answer the phone and the kind man (if I remember correctly) said all the parts were back ordered and directed me to Dvorsons. It all worked out fine .

I still love my NXR!!!!

• hvtech42
    8 years ago

Got it! Didn't realize you were talking about generic replacements.

• Maddy Reynolds
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yeah, sorry I'm not very good with language. I'm right brained and artistic.

Yeah, please spread the word... if anyone knows of the generic replacements for NXR DRGB3001 parts and could post photos / lists that would be a big help.

There are probably alot of us who'd like to have the parts on hand.

Even if I had to call a repairman I don't want him to leave, order the part and return a secondtime . Too much wait time drives me up a wall . I like to "get it done" pronto. My worst nightmare would be for the oven to be off line during a holiday.

I still love my NXR!!!

• jwvideo
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Susan: exactly!

Hvtech: I meant to apologize for not being clear. I then riffed off the point you made. I hope I did not come across as attacking you or your post..

• Maddy Reynolds
    Original Author
    8 years ago

not at all. no need to apologize. I think we're all just trying to encourage other people to share info. Whatever info they have.

• herophilos
    8 years ago

Thank you so much for the very helpful post. Mine just went out this weekend. If it helps anyone else I just found a replacement ignitor on Amazon for $17 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ZZU55Y?redirect=true. Dvorson's wants $95. I ordered the part so we'll see if it works acceptably.

• jazfig
    7 years ago

Anyone find the replacement igniter? Seems like I need one now.

• jwvideo
    7 years ago

Did you overlook the links above? There's one in the very first post and another in herophilos's post. You could do what I did when mine wore out, I just took it down to our local parts warehoue (ours is a Sundberg's). I found five that matched. I think I bought the Frigidaire part but I'm on the road so I don't have the invoice and can't get you a photo. Sorry.

• jazfig
    7 years ago
    Sorry, meant to ask for the safety valve part number!
  • jwvideo
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Are you sure that it is the safety valve? Just because the ignitor glows does not mean it is getting hot enough. The safety valve won't open unless it sees at least 3.5 Amps from the ignitor. An ignitor can glow like it is working fine but still be too weak to open the safety valve.

• jwvideo
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

So, three years on from the last post here and the gas safety valve did go out in my NXR range. I found the OEM replacement at ShopNXR.com which is Duro' web site for replacement parts for its various product lines. It was less expensive there than at the usual sources like Dvorson's, RepairClinic, etc.

Here’s the link for the replacement safety valve which seems to be the same for all versions of the NXR ranges including the NRG and DRGB on through the current models: https://shopnxr.com/collections/range-parts-1/products/safety-valve 

I have not been able to find a generic or less expensive alternative.

BTW, you can tell when the problem is the valve and when it is the igniter by checking them with a volt-ohm-meter (VOM) to see if there is continuity between the electrical contacts. With the igniter, there should be continuity between the two wires and between any wire and the element. If there is continuity there, then there also should be continuity between the connectors on the safety valve. Here's a photo I took of checking continuity on the valve. As can be seen, the VOM is reporting an open circuit. That means the valve was bad and that I needed a new valve.

• B B
    2 years ago

Hi guys,

I'm looking for the gas safety valve. Both my igniters are working, a few months ago my broiler went out and just now the oven stopped working. I haven't done the continuity test on the safety valves but suspect they are now both bad.

shopnxr.com and Dvorsons, etc. is out of stock, and I can't find the part number any place else.

Has anyone found a generic replacement part for this?

Thank you!

• B B
    2 years ago

I just tested the voltage at my safety valve and it is less than 3.3 v which seems to be the trigger voltage. It looks like I'm going to try replacing my igniter first. Safety valve has continuity.

• socalss
    2 years ago

So our oven is out. Tested out the ignitor and just replaced it just in case. That didn't seem to work. Continuity is fine for both the ignitor and the safety valve. BUT, ignitor doesn't glow and the oven light (next to the oven dial; not the the one inside the oven). What would cause the oven indicator light to not be ON?

• socalss
    2 years ago

An update for those you might have the same problem. The oven light wasn't on because of a loose contact behind the knob. I took the knobs out and the unscrewed two screws right below the knobs to remove the facade. Cleaned up stuff and it appears that a contact had worked its way out! Glad to have this fixed without having to order something!

• Jeremy Payne
    2 years ago

Has anyone found a generic replacement for the gas safety valve? Looks like mine has gone bad. Seems like most places are out of the OEM part. The only one I can find is $200 which seems expensive for that kind of part.

• Tupelo Woodcarver
    2 years ago

My Kucht oven has the same valve. Robertshaw Y-30128-128.

Kucht has them backordered for $90 US

Ive been in contact with Robertshaw for an alternative, and they are running schematics for a possible x-reference.

Let you know if i get anything from them. This 128 version is very specific..and dont buy with the NC number, as its useless here.

My oven ignitor was bad (pulling less than 3amps). Tapping the valve allowed it to open partially, with only half an oven burner igniting..(dangerous) with the raw gas causing igniting and causing flareup.

I also got a bad ”new” ignitor Robertshaw 41-205 (only pulling 3.06 amps new). Got a second one and its good (pulling 3.6amps). Gas valve opens, but still only partially. Waiting Waiting…

• Tupelo Woodcarver
    2 years ago

Kucht now has this valve back in stock, but for how long i dont know.

Safety Valve for Oven, Broiler and Griddle – KRD, KNG & KRG Series

$85.00

This is the Y-30128-128

https://kuchtcare.com/online/product/safety-valve/

• Frank
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I am having a similar issue with my oven. It has not really worked since the day I bought it. It would swing a 100 degrees (+-50) and NXR at the time said that was normal. It was repaired twice, replacing and shielding the thermostat sensor. It has gotten continually worse and now the oven does not come on at all and if it does it will only heat up to 100 degrees. Prior to that it would heat up then shut off and take an hour for the burner to go back on. The Broiler works fine, the oven igniter works fine (or so I think) so I am thinking that it is the gas safety valve. NXR does not have this part on their website.

Looking at the links to the parts above I was wondering if there are any specifications or tolerances that I need to consider when using a generic part? Thanks in advance.

• Claire Brouin
    2 years ago

I think the igniter new and cold is about 125 ohms and the gas valve is about 1/2 ohm (good continuity). i have an old igniter that would glow and light off the gas but would never re-ignite and maintain temperarature setting. changed it and now works. just cause it glows and fires once doesnt mean its good. Im getting best case 2 years out of igniters. never had to change gas valve. Oven 6 years old.

• Frank
    2 years ago

Thanks Claire, good info. Just looked at mine. I have continuity on both the safety valve and igniter. I figure for $20 I will replace the igniter just to see what happens. I will record the ohms before replacing. Not spending $90 for the NXR igniter. I think there is one that works with several mfg’ers that I will try first. They are probably all made in the same place in China.

• Frank
    2 years ago

Update to the oven. Fixed the igniter, the oven works better than new. The problem that I had in the beginning of the oven not keeping the temperature is solved as well. I will post the igniter I used when I get a chance. Easy Peasy. NXR is a nightmare a little diagnostic skill would have saved them a trip and endless negative reviews.