Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
izhanifarhana_norazam

Small bedroom needs help. ASAP

What should i do with my small bedroom. How can i make it looks fresh but not boring.

Comments (22)

• everdebz
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Highlight your beautiful flooring! Are you shopping for a rug / a comfy one? Cause a solid cotton-jute might be nice but not the softest to walk on. Course art would not be boring.

• hayleydaniels
    8 years ago

Art is the first thing I use to bring my personality to a room. Find things that you really like such as paintings, photos, posters or iron work--just something that you'll enjoy looking at.

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

I think with a small room you should go to Kohls or Target or BBB and buy a bed in a bag to give your an instant color combination and functional bedding for a very low price. Choose a color in bedding to paint walls, and add a night stand and a lamp for the bedside. Combined height night stand and top of lamp shade should be between 58-64 inches total . Excited to see what you decide and think.

• everdebz
    8 years ago

What sort of feeling do you want to have as fresh / "garden fresh" with perhaps flowers and trees? Or simple modern in a favorite color?

What do you need to place here / how much time and with how much money approximately?

I wouldn't choose a busy pattern / don't confuse the eyes with so much going on.

• everdebz
    8 years ago

Just say you like this 2-sided to start [if you don't have a color palette from art or a pillow] / maybe you love eggplant sheet-pillowcases to show. Personally I'd pick somewhat muted tone/ earth tone to blend with flooring / and not overtake it. A shiny lamp / or ribbony lilac....

Reversible Down Alternative Comforter, Full, Chocolate/Taupe · More Info

Floral Brown and Beige 20-Inch Cotton Decorative Pillow · More Info

Ultra-Soft 1800 Series Double-Brushed 6-Piece Sheet Set Twin, Eggplant · More Info

• everdebz
    8 years ago

Or beige side and sage would be pretty. Will you buy new curtains - a soft yellow could be nice... over white bamboo shades from jcpenney.com? or vice versa [pecan shades].

Bamboo Green and Beige 16-Inch Cotton Decorative Pillow · More Info
    http://www.jcpenney.com/jcpenney-home-bamboo-woven-wood-roman-shade/prod.jump?ppId=1d6e1c9&searchTerm=bamboo+shades&catId=SearchResults&_dyncharset=UTF-8&colorizedImg=0900631B81DCD7D9M.tif

• K 2
    8 years ago

You have so many good features: flooring, windows, ceiling molding.

Recommend:

1. Use a double bed (if this is practical for sleeping);
    2. Place the head of the bed away from the door (creates visual space);
    3. Keep the room symmetrical, so its visually clean;
    4. Use a maximum of three colours. If it's attractive to you, or a monochromatic colour scheme will give more visual space. A monochromatic space gets its visual interest from a mix of textures/materials (rug, curtains, linens, lamps).
      Chicago Condo Remodel · More Info
  • kaywestmaas
    8 years ago

Watercolor FL · More Info

Comfortable Luxury · More Info

Quebec Cottage · More Info

Acorn Cottage · More Info

Nantucket in So Cal · More Info

Refined Beauty Brookhaven · More Info

• kaywestmaas
    8 years ago

Decorating on a Budget: Pier One Clearance & Sale (Labor Day):

* Curtains -- Pier One Clearance & Sale for Labor Day weekend

* Rugs -- Pier One

* Wall Hanging -- Pier One

* Bedding / Linens / Pillows -- T.J.Maxx

* Lamps -- T.J.Maxx

Monochromatic:

1. Curtain Panels - Jute-- 96'' high (8 ft ceiling to floor) -- 54'' wide panel -- $40 each -- item #2698080
    2. Rug - Alona - 5ft x 8ft - place the rectangle shape at right angle to the bottom of the bed, starting at approximately half-way up the length of the bed -- item #2778935
    3. Wall Hanging - Round Mirror - Eternal - $184 - hang over bed, or over dresser -- item #2948405
    4. Wall Colour: Match to curtain background colour

Small Bedroom for Houzz · More Info

Small Bedroom for Houzz · More Info

• Lynn G
    8 years ago

Loose the busy curtains - they look a bit 80's-ish. Paint that built-in - maybe a fun color that adds some funk-factor. Go with some simple straight panel - a solid zingy color, or interesting pattern that that can be layered with other pattern - like white with bright yellow stripes, then have the yellow in other textures/fabrics in the room.

Don't bother with a rug, unless you really want one: they are hard to vacuum under a bed - just enjoy the beauty of the wood floors. If anything, put a small one elsewhere in the room if you use a space for stretching/yoga/etc. just to add some softness.

I saw an article one time where a woman used white matelasse bedspreads in all her rooms, the added pops of colors with sheets/pillows/throws. I like the idea and look, and have done it ever since:
    http://www.thecompanystore.com/bed-covers/bedspreads-coverlets/

Have fun!

• Sandra Johnstone
    8 years ago

Remove the curtains, and paint the built-in and floor moldings as all compete with the floor. If it's your regular bedroom, a queen bed is a must - one with a sleek headboard and no visible footboard to reduce visual crowding.

Decide what look you are going for, and what furnishings you are going to put in the room. A no-fuss way to update could be to paint the walls an off-white or warm gray (Revere Pewter by Benjamin Moore is one of my favourites) and hang a big piece of art or a mirror. Add simple bedding that you can update with throws/pillows season to season, and a rug for warmth underfoot, but one that still shows off the beautiful floor.

My rule of thumb when decorating on my tight budget is that if I don't love it, I don't buy it. Items also have to be good quality (you can find some excellent pieces at thrift markets and second hand stores). Remember - it can take time to pull a room together if you are doing it yourself. Have fun with it, and keep us posted!!

• mamastefie
    8 years ago

I would eliminate the dark curtains by replacing with ikea white cotton lineny tab curtains. They let light in but are not so sheer as to permit outsiders to see in. Paint walls a creamy white in eggshell finish. Paint moldings a glossier bright white. If you can spend the money, get rid of the wardrobe and replace with mirrored wardrobe also from ikea. Or if doors fit current wardrobe, just replace doors. For the bed, I would do a soft celadon or Aqua matilese spread which will add texture and a soothing color. If you want to add an area rug, I found a cute mutli color polka dot on Wayfair which fit my entire 8x10 room and gave a pop to the room.

• Karuna Choudhri
    8 years ago
    u can have walls with floral designs like in india we usuall use various kinds of paints n plaster of paris combos if u have that available very good else use lenin sheers with floral designs and use blinds or thick curtains to match.
    for bed use plain whites for bed sheet but u can use floral prints in bed covers bed itself should be solid wood but only warnish it dont polish it. keep minimalistic furniture keeping in mind needs of user n keep it unpolishd only warnishd
  • kpm0
    8 years ago
    Love the floors whatever you do highlight them
  • tripledip3
    8 years ago

Lots of great ideas here. I agree with everdebz - decide first what feeling you want for the room - serenity, fun, energizing, etc. This was the first question our decorator asked us before making any recommendations, and led us to make some wise decisions. Also, you might think about storage-wise furniture - beds with bookcases and pull out drawers underneath, nightstands with drawers instead of just bedside tables, storage ottomans, etc. to eliminate the clutter in a small space. Also, think mirrors to open up the space and spread the light.

• dina420
    8 years ago

I would put the head of your bed in between those 2 windows in the second picture (flush against the wall). Have a nightstand under the smaller window and a 4 ft rug in front of it, something soft to step on when you get up in the morning. I would place a carved wooden chest at the foot of your bed. This will be a nice place to sit and store additional items like winter clothes/bedding in addition to adding some visual interest . Then, I would put a dressing table to the left of the built-in, one with a 3-way mirror on top paired with a funky stool/chair, a perfect spot for you to apply your make up, and pick out your jewelry in the morning. Lastly, swap out your window treatments for something monochromatic and in an interesting material (linen, velvet?) to add more texture to the room. Good luck!

• PRO
    Fat Shack Vintage
    8 years ago

I would agree with tripledip3 about opening up the space. You could use small pendant lights as bedside lamps to save space and for a more open feeling, perhaps with clear glass shades to reflect the natural light falling in through the windows.

• Sylvia Carlson
    8 years ago

First, you should probably measure the room and draw up a floor plan. If that built-in is the only closet in the room, you will probably want to add more storage. You also need to decide what size of bed you want and how you are going to fit it into the room (without blocking windows, heating vents or doors). You also should look at pictures of other bedrooms and decide what styles of decorating you like and which ones you find "boring". (I think all things modern and minimalist are deathly boring, but many people love that stuff, just as an example.) Do you need to fit in any activities besides sleeping, such as a TV or an office nook? Do you want it to be glamorous or romantic or rustic? I think you need to figure out what is "not boring" for you before picking colours, fabrics, furniture and so on.

This bedroom, designed by Sarah Richardson, has no colour, but I don't think it's boring because of the contrast of dark grey and white, lots of shiny, reflective objects and the built-ins that divide up the walls into interesting patterns. There is also space for the TV, book storage and an office area and lots of lighting.
    If you're on a really low budget, colour is the most popular solution to the "boring" problem. Everything here is from Ikea, but the striped feature wall makes it extraordinary.

If you have boring walls that you can't paint, you can add colour, texture and pattern by painting the furniture and layering patterned textiles. The bed and headboard are usually the focal point of a bedroom, so if you can't afford to decorate the whole room at once, the bed is a good place to start.

You can layer textures if you don't like colour. This room is so tiny that they could only squeeze in a bed, but it looks cozy and romantic! I love mosquito nets, because they give the bed a sense of privacy.
    Beautiful closet doors and a ceiling that looks like it goes on forever (although the room is only the usual 8 feet high). I love this whimsical "sleeping in a garden" theme.
    You could also make your room non-boring by having an unusual colour scheme. Who ever heard of a lime-green and wine-red bedroom, but it works!
    You can also try finding new uses for your existing stuff. Do you see the upside-down table in this picture?
    Do you have a hobby or collection you could display? I collect vintage plates that I find at thrift stores. I rarely pay more than $3 for a plate, yet I have found many that are actually rare and valuable antiques. I like a room that tells a story about the person who lives there (even though my story is that I've got way too much stuff for my tiny apartment).
    You can usually find old shutters at the ReStore (Habitat for Humanity). They are a great solution to the problem of having an ugly view, or when the only place you can put the bed is in front of a window. The curtains you have now are making the windows look small, and they don't block enough light for sleeping. OK, well, I hope some of these ideas are helpful. (None of these pictures are mine, but I can't remember where I got them from. If anyone knows who designed these rooms, please let me know so I can credit them.)

• Susan Finlay
    8 years ago
    I think you should stick with white, off-white, or at least very pale, solid colours for bedding - sheets and main duvets/blankets etc. If you want colour on your bed, get it with throw pillows, extra throws/blankets etc. Same for texture...and do buy the best sheets you can afford. I buy organic, undyed linen now, but can only afford one sheet at a time:) (It's well-worth it. So luxurious and always looks great!) Put light sconces on the wall over your bed, or hang from ceiling - this clears up a lot of space. Consider metallics, for sconces/light fixtures, for the reflective quality. Be original in your thinking - no matter your choice of style. Browse thrift shops and use unmatched, unusual pieces for nightstand(s) and headboard etc. Paint them all in a pale colour, such as celery green, or whatever, if they're outdated. Use natural blinds such as bamboo on the windows, with a sheer linen or cotton damask curtain over those. If you need more blackout, you can buy inexpensive roller blinds, which are easily hidden, or sew blackout fabric to the backs of the blinds, with just a few large stitches. Hang at least one mirror - preferably in a metallic or wood. Hang a chandelier, if possible. The suggestion of mirrored furniture is excellent - for your dressing table, and/or the doors on that closet that's already there. Avoid covering too much of the floor with rugs - a small one or two for texture and comfort, only. Don't forget to go vertical - the back of the door will hold small, shallow shelves or hooks, and be great for things such as scarves, bathrobes and/or a mirror. A few shelves on the wall above the bed, and even over the bureau etc would be great for small items too, and you can layer in items to suggest your style.
    These are all ideas that are light, fresh, and "floaty". Of course, art work. Very dark can be a great look in a small room too, but you say you want light and fresh, I believe. Have fun!!! Ignore "trends" and use only what you really love, and you'll love your room:-) Let it happen naturally.
  • suezbell
    8 years ago

Choose white mini blinds and light colored swag curtains with swag sides that hang to the bottom of the window.

http://www.bjscountrycharm.net/Jennyswag.jpg

Try to pick out any bedspread or comforter at the same time you choose your curtains, preferably from the same store, so you can actually see them together and get them to match or coordinate.

Unless the baseboard makes the cabinet in your pic stand out from the wall, consider putting the tall cabinet beside the door just beyond the light switch or behind the door. That cabinet may be essential for storage space but you may not necessarily want it to be the focus of your room. You might even consider painting your cabinet the same color as the walls of your room and removing the baseboard the width of the cabinet and affixing the cabinet to the wall as a permanent closet.

If the room is going to be used regularly, you'll need a bed with the usual bedding; however, if this is a guest bedroom, you might want to create a bonus room with a table for a desk and use a murphy bed.

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Izhani - we haven't heard from you - how's it going?