Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_24793478

Please help make sure these 3 plants/trees won't hurt my dog

User
8 years ago

Moved into a new home and I am wondering what these things are. The green bushy thing is attracting A TON of bees....not looking forward to trimming all that! The reddish tree (?) seems to grow berries or something. I mainly want to make sure that if my dog happens to munch on a leaf of one of these that it won't hurt him. Thanks for your help!

Comments (16)

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Nobody knows any of them? =/

• i_like_pi
    8 years ago

The green spiky looking thing under the purple bush is a yucca of some sort (tropical kind). Not too keen on broadleaved plants in warmer climes. Where are you located?

User thanked i_like_pi
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

THANK YOU. I just looked it up and apparently it is poisonous and that just so happens to be the one my dog was most interested in. My mom was trying to tell me it was Aloe Vera lol. I live in Northern CA.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Someone told me the green-tree-things are Privet...does that sound right to anyone?

• edlincoln
    8 years ago

Could you photograph the bark of the red thing? Is it peeling? Could you photograph the flowers of any that are in bloom?

User thanked edlincoln
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hmmm and maybe the reddish guy is a Chokeberry? Which is also no bueno for pets? Guess I should just get rid of everything and start with a blank canvas! =P

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi edlincoln, I sure can! I will post pics tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

He doesn't really, unless of course I am doing yard work like this past weekend and he decides to take off with a leaf in his mouth thinking it's a game. He is inside 95% of the time anyways and we keep an eye on him when he is outside but still... I am an over protective mom I guess.

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Very likely an overblown "problem". Numerous plants have toxic principles within, yet almost nobody and no pets are ever harmed. Realize, it is highly-likely that your concerns are way overboard. I'm a dog lover yet I'm also a horticulturist. To hear you tell it, the entire green world is one of menace for your precious doggy. It just ain't so. Keep in mind too-the slightest irritant, the most minor of nausea potential....and boom, that plant species is labelled "poisonous". That's not even proper usage of that word. True "poisons" are substances which act directly and immediately to cause death or severe harm to the target organism. Almost none of these things are truly poisonous. It would be far more accurate to say they have some type of toxin in them, which is simply not the same as a poison. All poisons are toxic, but all toxins are not poisonous.

Finally, I'd like to add..........Sheesh!

Actually, I'd like to say one more bit: If any one of these plant species harms your dog, I will send you my next paycheck. Wow, talk about someone in search of a problem!

+oM

• bossyvossy
    8 years ago

Not only what winconsintom said but dogs instinctively know what is not good for them and will likely spit it out or throw it up--the end. Will never bother that plant again.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    8 years ago

pix are too far away for ID ...

and i agree... dogs arent stupid ... they dont need protecting ...

ken

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

I'm fine with someone caring about their dog. I'm a dog lover myself. I just hate to see plants torn out in what amounts to some version of hysteria.

+oM

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

Incidental poisonings of pets from plants, either in the landscape or grown indoors, is much more common with puppies, which are often inclined to chew just about anything. There is little if any risk with adult dogs.

Have gardened all my life with an assortment of pets (dogs, cats, rabbits) and never had any concerns. And I grow a lot of plants that are toxic to some degree or another (as the vast majority of plants are). Also gardened with small kids who are sometimes more inclined to plant parts in their mouths unless supervised than are pets and with no issues there, either.

Yes, it's something to be aware of but the degree of concern is usually grossly overstated.

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

Was walking around with one of my very young granddaughters earlier this summer. Unbeknownst to me, she had managed to grab a fistful of iris blooms and of course, before gramps could realize what was happening, in the mouth they went! I'm still not sure but that I've seen iris included in lists of "poisonous plants" and naturally, once I saw the petals sticking out of the corners of her mouth, we made darn sure she wasn't actually eating any of them, but it still does go to show how fast kids can cram stuff into their mouths. Yet we almost never hear of accidental poisonings of this type. I'm not sure I have ever heard of such, nor with dogs really. Just doesn't happen much.

+oM

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Have all the plants even been positively ID'd yet? First one looks like Yucca elephantipes.

Others would need a closeup of leaves, stem I would think. The green one -- the leaves look to be in alternate arrangement on stems (if so, certainly not privet), but too far away to tell for sure.