Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
enzaenza

Opinions wanted on quartzite countertops please!

enzaenza
8 years ago

I *thought* I was going with white macauba, but then I saw Taj Mahal and arabescato and now I'm torn. The Taj is so much warmer that the others and the arabescato has gold flecks throughout that I love!

Perimeter cabinets are "magnolia" which is a putty color, the island is walnut. I'm going with stainless appliances and unlaquered brass pulls. Floors will be oak with a medium/dark stain (50/50 chestnut and dark walnut.)

Thoughts?

Taj Mahal

Arabescato

White Macauba

Comments (46)

• cindy2459
    8 years ago

I vote for Taj Mahal. I like the browns in it. And like you, I think it seems warmer.

enzaenza thanked cindy2459
  • Wendy
    8 years ago

Your kitchen plan is almost exactly like mine. When I went slab browsing, I found the Taj Majal to be perfect with the magnolia cabinet door. The others I really can't comment on. The place didn't have them.

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

Enza if you link to your unlaquered brass pulls, I can add them to the combined photo for you. I have a hard time seeing unlaquered brass with the top or bottom slabs.

• Linda Doherty
    8 years ago

I like the arabascato, because of the veining. I was going to get the white macaubus in my house, but when the slabs came in they had cracks and were pitted. Apparently all 9 slabs from that lot were the same.

enzaenza thanked Linda Doherty
  • Jancy
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I like A the best, then C and B. They are all Beautiful Slabs

enzaenza thanked Jancy
  • Vith
    8 years ago

The white macauba in enza's pic is cracked too. I am a little concerned with all the scratches on the Taj, otherwise it is a good fit.

enzaenza thanked Vith
  • enzaenza
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Benjes!!! Thanks for the formatting! I haven't gotten that far yet, but I'm thinking something like this for the pulls:

http://www.lahardware.com/welcome/productdetails/1116

• enzaenza
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Vith ... Please help me distinguish the cracks in the macauba.

The scratches in the taj bothered me for a sec too. The fabricator made sure to point them out to me and explain they are there to stay. Can I assume I can find slabs without?

I was so certain I was going with calacatta gold marble originally, but then I priced it ... Uffa!! That immediately came off the table. I thought the arabescato was a perfect alternative - white, gray, gold, with super pretty veining. The gold specks are pretty amazing close up. So why am I in love with the Taj?????

Wendy - Are you using magnolia? Have you seen AnnaP's reveal? That sold me on the color. So so pretty and I think it looks amazing with the wood! What else have you chosen so far?

• enzaenza
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The arabescato .... Can you even !?!?

• dcward89
    8 years ago

Taj Mahal looks fantastic with both cabinet finishes...that's the winner to me...really, really beautiful!!!!

enzaenza thanked dcward89
  • carree
    8 years ago

I have it and like it very much. Upkeep is simple and it is a little more subtle than the other options. Though you won't go wrong with any. Really depends on what you want to be the star of your kitchen. Good luck!

enzaenza thanked carree
  • luv2shopml
    8 years ago

I have quartzite White Macaubus, love it so much and it gets a real "wow" factor from everyone who visits. Get the Taj if you love it, you will be very happy with quartzite in general.

enzaenza thanked luv2shopml
  • javiwa
    8 years ago

Will the stone yard send you home with samples? As it is, even within one type of stone there is so much variability (I've seen TM with much more cream and light brown, and another that was overwhelmingly green). And then in your kitchen's lighting, they'll look much different from the glaring sunlight in the yard, or from the dingy warehouse lighting if the slabs pictured are indoors.

enzaenza thanked javiwa
  • my_four_sons
    8 years ago

I really wanted Taj Mahal, but it was the most expensive slab in the whole stone yard! I would go with it in a heartbeat, looks gorgeous with your cabinets.

enzaenza thanked my_four_sons
  • Carrie B
    8 years ago

They're all gorgeous. I like the Taj Mahal the best with your cabinets - by a good stretch.

enzaenza thanked Carrie B
  • BirchPoint
    8 years ago

The Arabescato is marble isn't it? Which would be much more prone to "patina" than quartzite.

• enzaenza
    Original Author
    8 years ago

They are all quartzite and being offered to me at the same exact prices. No mention of any being more $$ than another

• Wendy
    8 years ago

Enza, yes, we going with the magnolia cabinets. I did see AnnaP's kitchen and it was beautiful. But, I ended up choosing the magnolia because it is almost a perfect match to paint color we have throughout the LR and DR. I thought we were going to have do a custom color, bit it just happen to be perfect.

I too am hoping to do Calacatta Gold. If that doesn't work out, then one of the quartzites. Wide planks medium oak flooring, unlacquered brass fixtures, Kohler Whitehaven in sea salt, Winchester Arcadian subway in the sedge green or the porcelain.

• enzaenza
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wendy, that sounds magnificent! And you are right, so so similar :) I remember your reply when I posted about the yard quoting me mega dollars for the calacatta!

Is the color edgecomb gray you were looking to match? Bc that is what we are doing for the main floor walls and I think it's a close color!

I will check out the backsplash, I really have no idea which way we will go w that. I have kohler riverby as my sink and 3" oak flooring in a herringbone pattern.

Do you have lighting picked out?

• Wendy
    8 years ago

Ohhh, herringbone is SO classic. Love it!!! Also, like the sink choice.

Please keep in mind, my goal is to turn a 1990's contemporary into a cottage style home. I have every item picked out (I think), except the hood. I am struggling with that.

My cabinets will be beaded inset w/ slab drawers. Cup pulls, glass knobs, & latches from Rejuvination. And these are my light choices. One sconce above each of the 3 windows, 2 larger pendants above island and a smaller version above the sink, all w/ pull chains, from Schoolhouse. (Finish on the sconce is wrong.)

Photo from http://lghttp.37293.nexcesscdn.net/8012327/production/media/catalog/p · More Info

Union 6" Pendant Light Fixture | Schoolhouse Electric & Supply Co. · More Info

This is the tile from Winchester.

kitchen: flowing as one space · More Info

• perky_2
    8 years ago

I think they are all beautiful. Taj Mahal makes my heart skip a beat. As already said, it looks so different installed. The beauty shines and what looks like imperfections dim.

I love my taj countertops! they make my heart sing everyday. AND that they are so sturdy is the real plus. My girlfriend of over 35 years just picked out her Taj Mahal slabs tonight.

When we were feeling rushed to make a decision (because I was so indecisive on so many things) - my wise fabricator gave me great advice. He said don't let anyone rush you into this as it is one of the most important decisions you will make for your kitchen and it will set the tone. He said when he chose his own counter top he knew it had to be one that would smile at you every morning over coffee and make you smile back. That is exactly how I feel that the Taj Mahal performs for me.

you have three beauties selected and any one of them would be a stunning choice.

enzaenza thanked perky_2
  • enzaenza
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wendy - those light fixtures go perfectly w your plan! Love them! I think I want something a little glam since I'm only doing pendants over the island and high hats throughout. For the hood I've chosen something like this, but still not sure if I want any brass in the straps or rivets. So many details to obsess over! We are renovating a nearly 100 yr old house with nothing left to salvage, unfortunately, so we are forced to replace everything and hope it all works together in the end!

Perky - that's an awesome way to look at the selection. I think I'm caught up in what I think would be the right choice vs what I instinctively love. Going to see which one smiles back at me :)

• Shelley Graham
    8 years ago

All three are winners in my book, but I'm partial to the Taj Mahal, which we installed earlier this year. I can't tell which finish you've picked. Ours is leathered...a different look from all the polished slabs I found. Still in love with it, and with the easy cleanup. If you have a large expanse of counter, I would stick with the Taj or Macaubus, as the Arabescato might be too busy.

enzaenza thanked Shelley Graham
  • Wendy
    8 years ago

It's awesome that you are renovated a home with history. I prefer older homes. Unfortunately, the huuby does not. That hood is beautiful. I saw one the other day that I thought was amazing. Won't work for me, but may for you....

stainless and satin brass

Hanover · More Info

• Wendy
    8 years ago

Enza, I'm sorry. The paint color is RH's Ash, but mixed by SW.

enzaenza thanked Wendy
  • enzaenza
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I didn't mention earlier, but for reference: the taj and the macauba are polished and the arabescato I was told is semi gloss. Never heard that before, but fabricator said it was between honed and polished bc it would appear fake were it to be polished.

I was shown the taj in a leathered finish, but if didn't care for it as much. A lot of the nuances of the stone were muted in the slab I was shown.

I also want to make sure I say thank you to all who posted for your insight and opinions! I am not yet decided but feel a little closer to making that leap!!

• enzaenza
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wendy, what you should be sorry for is that I am now debating sea salt rather than white for my sink!!!

• rebunky
    8 years ago

I like the Taj Mahal. Great mock ups BB. I love B too, but with your cabinets and the handles I think A works beautifully.

• isabel98
    8 years ago

A. love the walnut..

• romy718
    8 years ago

I like (love) the Arabescato - but - is it really a quartzite? Did you test it? The white cabinet color looks more cream (a hint of yellow) with the Arabescato. If that is how it looked in real life, I like the Taj.

• enzaenza
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Wendy! Just checking in to see if you have any progress (and photos!!) to share :)

We are finally getting cabinet delivery tomorrow and I'm so nervous about everything that may go wrong.

• Wendy
    8 years ago

Enzaenza, yay! I'm so excited for you! I so hope you post updates for us. I can't wait to see any little thing. Even pics of the cabinets not installed!

We are waiting on windows to be delivered. They were supposed to be done in late January, but are obviously delayed for some reason.

• Wendy
    8 years ago

Btw, no need to be nervous. It's going to be gorgeous!!!

• rjknsf
    8 years ago

What did the OP decide on? My favorite is the arabescato. I think it matches the walnut perfectly.

I would also want to test the arabescato for etching and scratches. It is usually a name given to marble and stone yards often mislabel the slabs. The naming used by stone yards is not related to the actual geology. A good example of mislabeled stone that is commonly made is Calacatta Lincoln. It is usually labelled as coming from Italy because that is where the blocks are cut and finished. However, it is actually quarried in Colorado. The company that owns the quarry in Colorado is based in Italy.

• enzaenza
    Original Author
    8 years ago

aaaaand, still no cabinets installed.

I'm now experiencing the often warned about "issues" with our GC and crew. Received delivery and am now waiting on KD's installers to schedule me rather than our GC, ugh. Good news is I have two cabinets unboxed and they are so so pretty!

Counters are down to Taj Mahal or Perla Venata as my favorites. White macauba is an alternate since that has been priced as far less than the other two with a couple of fabricators. Price will be the deciding factor because we are way over budget with just about everything possible.

Currently debating lighting and if you are reading this, please chime in : )

I have high hats through out, and will be putting pendants over the island. I was originally planning for three, but now I wonder if two is best since I seem to gravitate toward the larger styles - I have to figure this out since the # of pendants would determine what size I choose for them. Is there a formula for this kind of stuff?

The island counter top is 80" wide and 43" deep. Thoughts ?

• kksmama
    8 years ago

I'm surprised you haven't decided on the Taj Mahal yet - it looks so fabulous on my computer screen from the first picture you posted, it is the most stunning with both the white and walnut. As for the pendants, you could consider hanging balloons to see what you think about number and sizing. My island is 92 x 66, I have two. I sometimes wish I had spent the extra money for the next larger size, bigger styles are expensive.

• enzaenza
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ohmahgahd!!! Look

• just_janni
    8 years ago

Is it wrong to call your walnut tops and cabinets "gorgeous enough to lick"?

Or did I just over share?

• enzaenza
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lol ... I've been petting them the whole morning ;)

• Wendy
    8 years ago

Yay!!! The cabinets are gorgeous, the walnut is gorgeous, and that tiny peak of your flooring is gorgeous. Can't wait to see more!!!!

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Wow that walnut is making me rethink the cherry I was going to do. I can see why you want to pet them and jannicone wants to lick them.

• murchkid
    8 years ago

Ooh, enzaenza! I love your cabinet door style!! Would you mind sharing the specifics?

• enzaenza
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hey murchkid, happy to!

These are Omega full access cabinets in the Loring door. The paint color is Magnolia and the walnut is in a honey finish, which is a step above natural finish.

• murchkid
    8 years ago

Can't wait to see it all done. Just gorgeous!

• Wendy
    8 years ago

Waiting on updates...