Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rnmomof2

Cross post-When did slide in ranges become backless free standing?

RNmomof2 zone 5
8 years ago

I have a 25 yo Jenn AIr slide in that is the only original appliance
left in the house. I would like to replace it but am getting frustrated
at my options.

Don't get me started on the downdraft issue. I
can get around that. My complaint is that the "slide in" ranges aren't
really slide ins anymore. This is going to require me to alter my
counter top to get one of the new version to fit flush against the
wall. My concern is that the design will change back, the new range
will need replaced, and I will be screwed because my counters were
changed.

The new design also doesn't overlap the counter which I
think was one of the huge benefits of a slide in. Who thought this
design was a good idea?Is this design here to stay or do I wait a few years to replace my elderly stove?

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Joe Henderson
    8 years ago

Its been happening over the past 2-3 years. Easier to design since they share componentry with FS ranges and offer more features to consumers. Some still overlap the countertop as well.

Frigidaire still makes a few "old school" slide ins. But those will go away in a few years. Because there are so few manufacturers (most brands are part of a later company) I would anticipate the trend to continue

RNmomof2 zone 5 thanked Joe Henderson
  • jwvideo
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Not quite sure I understand the problem. AFAIK, some brands of slide-ins (such as GE) are built to go against the back wall just like a freestanding stove while other brands (such as Electrolux) have bump outs in the back (for their ovens). The latter --- the ones with bumpouts in the rear --- require a countertop filler strip behind the stovetop.

So, is the issue that your old Jenn Air had a countertop filler strip and you've only seen slide-ins that don't require them? Or is it the other way around?

I'm also unclear about "doesn't overlap the counter?" Are you asking about overlapping in back or on the sides? Or are you talking about the base of the side overlap/projections being too high and leaving a gap to the countertop below it?

Most stoves marketed as "slide-ins" do in fact extend over the side countertops.

The trouble that has generated a lot of commentary here is that a lot of kitchen counters are 35 ½" high (or a little shorter) but the limits on the adjusting feet on a many ranges mean that you can't lower the range enough to touch the countertops which are less than 36" (or so) above floor level.. Apparently, the stove designers think we allnow ought to have countertops at least 36" above floor level.

There are some stoves that you might think of as slide-ins --- ranges with minimal or no backsplash and all controls down front --- but these generally are marketed in other categories. GE's Cafe ranges are an example -- GE deliberately calls them freestanding ranges. Whirlpool is marketing similar stoves under its KitchenAid and JennAir brands. (The induction versions have not made it to market yet, but the radiant electric, gas and dual fuel versions have,)

All "pro-style" ranges are this way, too, but, again, they usually are not marketed as "slide-ins".

RNmomof2 zone 5 thanked jwvideo
  • RNmomof2 zone 5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Jwvideo, at least half of the slide in ranges now do not overlap the counter top. They fit into the opening just like a free standing stove, they just do not have the backsplash with controls on it.

As you can see in this picture, the stove goes all the way to the wall and abuts the counter top leaving the awful gap between the two for crumbs to collect in.

My dilemma is that I have the counter top behind my existing range that will need to be removed and I am not sure that my sides are cut all "pretty" and square to be exposed. This wasn't an issue with the old fashioned, cover the cut edge of the counter slide in! My in laws also have formica which will be difficult to have retrofitted. The cut edge will need to be finished and again, not sure that the original cut is smooth.

Joe, since you feel that this trend will continue I need to buy a range before it gets even more difficult to find what I need.

• sweetsarahbeth
    8 years ago

I believe that they sell special t-shaped strips that fit into the gap between stove and counter to try and abate just that frustration.

RNmomof2 zone 5 thanked sweetsarahbeth