Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
primdawg

What color would you paint the cabinets?

Annette Holbrook(z7a)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

The mountain place we have an offer on will be getting mostly cosmetic changes. The kitchen cabinets are honey oak that I hate as well as Formica countertops. I plan to paint cabinets and replace countertops with a honed black granite. The adjoining great room will get new furniture. I was planning on the following colors, green couch, existing pecan colored leather chairs, rug is black background with green, red and cream design.

oh and I'm also adding a wine bar on an adjacent wall in the dining area. I was hoping to do quarter sawn oak cabinets for the bar with a quartzite countertop similar to what is shown in mood board. I was thinking green for the cabinets but am I over doing the green? The kitchen is not open to the living room but is visible from certain angles.

Inspiration kitchens

Comments (18)

• sjhockeyfan325
    7 years ago

Why are you making changes to something you already have an offer on?

• Claire Buoyant
    7 years ago

I think OP means they have put in the offer on this home?

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Will be doing some remodeling if the budget allows what we want to end up with. We met with builder the other day at the house and he wants some more definitive thoughts in order to give us a number. I dislike the cabinets but replacing is out of the budget, so I'm trying to show him some options so he can say whether it is may or may not work.

Hubby wants to stain cabinets I want to paint. Builder wanted some options on paint or stain to determine labor costs. It will also affect what happens if the seller counters our offer. We have X amount to buy and remodel, if the cost of the remodeling added to what the seller counters is over budget I want to know so we can either scale back remodel or just move on and start house hunting again.

• amykath
    7 years ago

Does the kitchen get much light? I think a nice cream would look great with you back counters. Seems there is plenty of color going on elsewhere.

I love your furniture!

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Aktillery9, now that you mention it, this kitchen doesn't get much light. The other side of the house has vaulted ceilings with skylights, but not in this room. Maybe cream is a better option.

• John Smith
    7 years ago

Before:

After: Painted my cabinets BM White Dove

Did you make a decision on the house? Are you into an updating/redecorating project now?

• Peppapoodle
    7 years ago

That looks charming, John Smith, nice job!

• Peppapoodle
    7 years ago

Annette, I'm sorry- I didn't mean to ignore your post.

i went gray/green with my cabinets in north facing kitchen. Wood ceiling & dark floors(darker than I thought they'd be- DIY) so I went with cream walls.

I --almost-- wish I had gone with cream.

i love your mood board & that granite for wine bar is gorgeous!!

• amykath
    7 years ago

Annette, do you have any photos of the kitchen in the home you are buying?

John, great job on your cabs! They look amazing.

Peppa, love your kitchen!

• amykath
    7 years ago

Annette, do you already own the rug? If not, Since you have darker furniture it would brighten things with a lighter rug.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I have a pic from the listing. The second pic shows the pass through window from living area. I'd like to close it but hubby likes it.

• amykath
    7 years ago

Are you keeping all of the wood (ceiling and walls) as is or painting any of it?

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We are keeping the wood everywhere, too expensive to replace. Hubby likes the idea of a milk paint on some walls to lighten up and add some interest.

• amykath
    7 years ago

Sounds like a great idea!! I bet you are really excited! I used to live in Georgia. The mountains are so lovely there.

• amykath
    7 years ago

Btw, I adore your green sofa!! Have you had it long?

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That's not my sofa. I have that same sofa in a wheat color but am having it recovered in the green.

It's from Norwalk.

• amykath
    7 years ago

Here are a couple of ideas I saw that might be inspiring.

Sonoma Kitchen · More Info

Highlands Guest Retreat · More Info

GRAND LODGE · More Info

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That first pic would do me just fine! I'm even thinking the light countertop would be nice. I can still do the green countertop on the bar as it is on another wall.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH