Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mello_mcqueen

Jade Plant leaves are turning yellow?

mello_mcqueen
7 years ago

I've had my jade plant for years and he's always done fine but I bought some new soil a few weeks ago to propagate some new cuttings and it was infested with gnats.

I threw out all the cuttings and repotted my jade plant (the parent) into clean soil a week and a half ago just to be safe even though he wasn't using the same new soil and didn't seem to have gnats. His leaves are still turning yellow though.

At first I thought it was from the change in weather but he's getting worse and his leaves are snapping off super easy. The trunk feels fine, though and the green leaves at the top still feel solid. He's had a fungal infection before and I don't think this is what it is because he isn't getting holes in his leaves and I haven't seen any gnats since I threw out the other plants.

I'm worried it is root rot or something but I don't have time to take a picture of the roots right now but here are some pictures of the plant itself:

Note: the lighting makes the leaves look more green but they're actually a very ugly yellow.

The leaves at the top of the plant don't seem bad, although they don't feel quite right to me. They aren't squishy or anything though. It is mostly the leaves at the very bottom and the ones on the inside branches of the plant.

I'll try to take a picture of the roots when I get home to show and see if ya'll think they look alright. I don't know how to tell if they're bad.

Comments (9)

• Dave
    7 years ago

I agree. That soil isn't a good choice for the plant and is probably what's currently causing problems.

Im guessing the previous soil was similar, which would probably have been the cause of past problems.

• myermike_1micha
    7 years ago

I too would not have used that soil mix..But it is also common for Jade plants to drop leaves and turn yellow after a transplant this time of the year..

I would use a more porous mix right now and not water the tree for a couple of days..Then water but make sure it is in a very sunny window..

mello_mcqueen thanked myermike_1micha
  • mello_mcqueen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The fungal infection was over three years ago so I doubt it is relevant to whatever is causing his current problem but that was the only time he has ever been sick before. It caused brown spots to form on his leaves and then they turned to holes but i removed all the effected ones and exposed the roots to oxygen and it killed the fungus that was making him sick before. This girl I was rooming with in college at the time was taking botany and she said it was a fungus. Either way everything she suggested worked and he got better.

Whatever is wrong with him now is definitely not the same thing but I dunno how to treat him for anything else especially when I do not know what is wrong.

I just potted him into that soil a little over a week ago and I waited a few days to water him afterwards. I would have waited longer but his leaves started getting soft, which is what they do when I forget to water him for too long.

As for the soil, it's some kind of succulent/cacti soil that comes in a yellow bag from Walmart. It's the same kind I always buy (with the exception of the last bag that had gnats - I got that one from Home Depot although it was the same brand) and he has always done well with it.

Can anyone give me suggestions on a better kind of soil to buy that I don't have to mix myself? I live in a one room apartment and it wouldn't be practical.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    7 years ago

Sorry, no, there really isn't one, that's why many of us make our own.

You could help yours considerably by adding 50% perlite to it. Many folks here do that, those of us who don't use any of the gritty mixes (not so commercially available, rather individually made).

But you'd have to unpot it again, mix the C&S mix 50/50 w/ perlite & then repot it, let dry for another couple of says & then water.

• mello_mcqueen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The soil that I've always used says it is supposed to have perlite in the mix already although this bag that I am using right now does look kinda funny. Usually it is mixed with rocks and has white pebbles all in it and these like, yellow beads that are full of this fertilizer liquid that break down overtime to boost the nutrients in the soil or something? This one is weirdly just kinda brown.

I also usually put some rocks and things at the bottom of the pot myself to help with drainage (although I don't have any at the moment...) because a lack of it is what caused the fungus to grow last time. Speaking of that, Idk why I typed that the holes in the leaves were brown. They were more blueish and it was something to do with the infection feeding on the chloroplast in the leaves. Chloroplast... chlorophyll.... something. I'm not a science person. lol

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Bagged soil does have some perlite in it, but it is such a small amount it doesn't help, and you may have to look for it :) Ingredients for exactly same soil (cacti & succulent soil for example) will vary from different manufacturers. They usually put in too much peat, and that is more difficult to water properly. Yellow beads are OK, it is time-released or slow-release fertilizer. As suggested by Karen, get a bag of perlite and mix it 50/50 with soil you have.

Using rocks in the bottom will not help at all with drainage. It is best not to use them.

Dave posted link to a very good post, if you want to understand more about 'soils', please take time to read it. It is quite a bit to read, it will help to read it again.

mello_mcqueen thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • Justin McGee
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Soil isn't ideal, but that looks normal to me and the rest of the plant looks great. I'm fact, I see new growth. Maybe some maintance and different soil next potting up, but you're just going to have leaf loss with Jades sometimes. However, if things are going downhill and you are in fact overwatering, Bonsai Jack Gritty Mix.

Google it, buy it, use it, stake them up, feed weakly - weekly and water at 5.5-6.5 PH, and you'll be absolutely money. I think you'll actually find that your present overwatering of this jade plant may either be JUST right or not often enough with the gritty mix. Phenomenal drainage. Paying attention to science with these plants is key to explosive growth and savage root development. Bonsai Jack's gritty mix is the "anchor" to success in this equation.