Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
totoro8

New Dawn vs Awakening bloom size

totoro z7b Md
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

According to the tag, this photo shows a New Dawn peeking out from under the clematis at Brookside Gardens in MD. Is the bloom really this big (over 3 in by my estimate) ? If so it is much larger than its sport Awakening which has more petals.

I really like their color scheme and have been trying to plant alliums with my roses.

Compare to my Awakening

Comments (38)

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Your Awakening looks beautiful! Little more than 3" seems about average for my ND and I was hoping that they blooms would get bigger too.

totoro z7b Md thanked lavenderlacezone8
  • totoro z7b Md
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Both are so lovely. Makes me want to get ND too but alas no space

• House Ideas
    6 years ago

I also grow awakening:

Good blackspot resistance, but man, those thorns are not to be trifled with.

totoro z7b Md thanked House Ideas
  • totoro z7b Md
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow qwbb yours is so much deeper pink than mine. My Blossomtime is that color.

What a charming cottage you have there.

• moira p (z8, North France, alkaline clay soil)
    6 years ago

They both have that lovely, gentle, romantic color. This is my ND, AKA the thorny beast, just before I took shears (sigh). The flowers seemed bigger at the end of the flush to me, but it was maybe just an impression because I had to clean it properly :)

totoro z7b Md thanked moira p (z8, North France, alkaline clay soil)
  • totoro z7b Md
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow your ND is positively packed with blooms. What sort of sun exposure do you have it in? My Awakening is only getting 3 to 4 hours or morning sun (and some parts of it get no direct sun because of shadows from the house). Maybe my blooms would be larger if they were in more sun.

• bella rosa
    6 years ago

I really like your pics of Awakening especially because I purchased one this past Spring. Mine is in a pot for now. It has 3 buds, but they are taking forever to open up. The containers faces West, so it gets afternoon sun. Problem is that we haven't seen the sun in awhile. We just keep having more and more rain, very little sun. Bummer..

totoro z7b Md thanked bella rosa
  • moira p (z8, North France, alkaline clay soil)
    6 years ago

This ND it is at least 20 years old and I have cut 3/4 long canes even before taking the photo. It has all day long sun exposure but my sun is fairly mild (as soon as the temperatures reach 30°C / 35°C it rains). It likes horse manure, a lot, and it gets some iron when I water hydrangeas and edgeworthia that are quite near. I prune it hard too, it doesn't seem to mind.

totoro z7b Md thanked moira p (z8, North France, alkaline clay soil)
  • User
    5 years ago

Qwbb, yours look so different from mine (removed last fall).

Agreed ND can get bigger blooms with lots of fertilization and pruning. Mine this spring after f and p

• ac91z6
    5 years ago

Farmerduck, is that red 'Florentina' with your ND? Both gorgeous roses.

• madakatude6a
    5 years ago

Here's my New Dawn. A real show off for the last few weeks. Time to prune now!

totoro z7b Md thanked madakatude6a
  • totoro z7b Md
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Gorgeous photos everyone. This is a great climber if you have the space and gauntlet gloves.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Here's a recent Bloom of New Dawn with my hand for comparison.

madakatude, you must be so excited to come home to that every day right by your front door!

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    5 years ago

Here is my New Dawn. I planted it right by the trunk of an apricot tree. It's thorns are out of the way there, but it hangs down low enough for me to smell it's blooms.

5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Daisy, what an inspired planting! I may have to root yet another ND for a small dogwood! I know most grow this rose for its magnificent flushes, but I really appreciate its special refreshing scent and the purity of its opening flower. There is something about it that seems new everytime! : )) Click to enjoy its details!

• titian1 10b Sydney
    5 years ago

Some glorious photos here. farmerduck, the combination of the pale pink, silver and deep red is glorious. I wish I could use it as my screensaver. And moira, what a lovely old stone wall for a backdrop.

I used to grow New Dawn, maybe 30 years ago, in a previous garden. No other rose has had quite the same appeal as those porcelain petals. I don't have it in my present garden, but seeing all these photos, I may have to find a spot for it, despite the injuries I know I'll suffer. I think I may borrow Daisy's idea, and grow it up a persimmon. Trish

3 years ago

@House Ideas, I guess I forgot to say how utterly charming I find your house!

• Roses In Clay
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

This is my New Dawn, just turned 2 years old! Planted in June 2019 and it is June 2021. Did not supplemental water (only watered by rain) or fertilize at all in 2020. This is after a heavy rain that beat down the petals, and heavy pruning where I not only removed all the about-to-bloom roses for bouquets leaving mostly spent ones,

but also removed many canes because in 2 years it grew to be 8-10 feet tall/long and started bending over like an octopus, so I trimmed it down to a bush before the neighbors start complaining. I was not prepared with a proper trellis and the 3 foot one is doing absolutely nothing. I'm in the process of having one built, but it will be a few weeks. Anyway, New Dawn is my most prolific bloomer of my many rose bushes, it faces south. I love the petal colors, blush pink fading into silvery pink on the outside petals. I also love how it grows in a natural bouquet with tons of spray roses on the sides. The blooms are medium sized, about 3.5".

It's interesting that it is the first Plant Patent at the US Patent office!

I just ordered Awakening, because I'm so impressed with New Dawn. I landed here to see if anyone has side-by-side photos.

2 years ago

Roses in clay, Where in Ohio do you live? I think New Dawn likes it here!

• Roses In Clay
    2 years ago

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley, I'm about 40 minutes north east of Cincinnati, are you nearby? My house was built on solid clay soil, and because of that slow draining clay plus the weekly rain, I haven't watered or fertilize after establishing. I think New Dawn does like it here! I have 4 other big bloomers but have poor bloomers as well, and plan to amend their soil.

2 years ago

I don't know why my post keep disappearing! Roses and clay, I live in Cincinnati AP miles from the river. Also clay, also slow draining.😕I really water as I find it such a chore and generally not necessary. I also really fertilize except in the spring if I'm good. I should probably do it more as my cuttings thrive and get 0 blackspot under perfect care. I generally amend with homemade compost, manuress from local farmers, And wood chips. I hate to tell you but this rose will be a monster for you soon. Give it another year or so. You should have deadhead it for good re bloom though. I have 6 of them 3 of which We're planted in the 1,930s. I've taken other cuttings from this and have pass them around. I also grow awakening but it did not like it's place with too much shade and hardly bloomed. It was still healthy though. We will see how it does in it's new place. It did lose a lot of it's leaves in the transplant is I unfortunately waited too long this spring. It hardly got any blooms in the time of had it which was at least 2 or 3 years. Beautiful blooms though. I grow a lot of climbers if you want any other suggestions!

• Roses In Clay
    2 years ago

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley how frustrating your post keeps disappearing :P but that's serendipitous we live in the same area! I just joined houzz today to talk about roses and landscaping so it's nice to meet you. 1930s, amazing, they must be the gigantic monsters you speak of. Ha! that rose will be a monster for me :D I read New Dawn grows up to 12 feet, so I planted it on the side of my house which is a plain and barren expanse of space, but needs some decor since I'm on the corner and everyone can see it. I just did not expect it to grow so fast. Actually I need suggestions on training and taming climbers, I found a tutorial on making a trellis if I could convince my exbf to help me build some.

I have iceberg going on that side also, and it's growing great, but will eventually need a better support structure as well. Until then, I'm cutting off any canes that reach too far in space. I just started cuttings last week so have yet to find out if they will succeed. I hope your Awakening likes its new place and puts out more blooms, I'm excited for mine to come in. I'm got it potted since bare root season is over.

• Pansies Place
    2 years ago

Ladies...so glad this post is still thriving. Please scroll up and look at my new dawn posted in 2018. It was a beast then! Below are pics today. It’s been raining hard and I’ve had massive growth and the thing has fallen over the trellis. I’m going to cut back a lot this weekend but didn’t want to disturb my first flush. Now it’s just a mess. In the 208 pic I had it in the house, I’ve since moved it next to the house on a trellis. But this baby still requires a lot of cutback to control. And I’m a glutton for punishment. Last pic below shows a new batch that I cloned from offshoots.

• Pansies Place
    2 years ago

Sorry can’t seem to get the last pic in with the new one

• Roses In Clay
    2 years ago

Pansies Place, I don't see your 2018 post. But that's what I like about houzz, you can add to an old discussion because the topic is still relevant, instead of having to start a new thread and have 100 threads on the same topic. Beautiful robust New Dawn btw. I'm starting to see this thing is an indestructible powerhouse.

• madakatude6a
    2 years ago

Thanks, Roses in Clay Ohio...I just realized that I signed in under a different name. This is me..See above madakatude6a 2 years ago. Same New Dawn. Same as Pansies Place.

• Roses In Clay
    2 years ago

madakatude6a ha! An alter ego. I have to say your 2018 photo New Dawn was so well tamed, and I'm in "the market" for trellises or ways to tame my New Dawn. Your current photo is nice and full of vigor too and awesome you were able to clone! I am trying to just for fun, and to give to a friend, because I don't need another New Dawn since I have Awakening coming, and I have Iceberg, Florentina, Westerland, and several other climbers coming. I really like climbers because they get so tall which means more blooms, but it also means I don't need as many of the same kind and can get different ones for variety.

I read some article you should get the same type of rose for consistency in landscaping... um no. I find that boring, and I suppose if you're landscaping a shopping mall that's fine, but I like variety in my cut flowers and landscape. That's why I hate living in an HOA.

• KittyNYz6
    last year
    last modified: last year

@Roses In Clay

@Pansies Place

@Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

& Everyone

Thank you for your lovely photos & comments! I just ordered Awakening-very excited!!!

Vapor, How are you! Its been awhile since I’ve heard from you! Join us in seasonal thread?

I have New Dawn but she only bloomed once flush her first year-2021 season-is that normal? Will she bloom more this year? All my other roses do well repeating. I have 118 roses & many climbers. ND gets fertilizer and great soil.

LOOKING forward to Awakening! Like to see her porcelain blooms in profusion!

last year

Thank you Kitty. I read your posts, but dont omment as betwen Houzz and my Kindle, I sound like an idiot. My Awakening has finally awoken in her new home and is finally giving a bit of a show. I also discovered another one that grew from roots left in the soil from when she was transplanted so Ill move that one over to join the other eventually. I love the repetition in that are which if finally starting to take shape. Now I can see what colors and shapes are needed aadditionally.... maybe 4 more Darlows Enigmas among others. Unfortunately its too weedy for pics this flush. I only just cut the grass on that level. New Dawn is aamazing as usual. This rose only improves with age, but requires sun and dead heading for repeat bloom. Fertilizer also helps after the huge 1st flush. I;ll try to add pics from my phone of ND.

• KittyNYz6
    last year

So happy to hear from you! So you have ND & 2 Awakenings-ha, ha! Wonderful! I hope mine do well like yours! Exciting to hear about your gardens again! Maybe you’ll share photos later….

last year

I actually have 6 ND in different placs. Here are two along my drive fence. Most of the rose falls to the other side.

last year

Here is a single New Dawn falling over the back of the balustrade.

last year

Multiple New Dawn forming a backdrop in the front of the formerly

pictured balustrade.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    last year

Vapor your roses look fantastic! I could use 2 of you here. The roses are good but the grass and vetch are also good as in all over.

• KittyNYz6
    last year

Heavenly border of your 6 New Dawn & other roses around your balustrade! Love your back yard-big-stately! Hmmmm….. suppose I could let them climb around my yard to border even more after seeing your photos! I have a variety of roses & climbers that border my ysrd… but still a lot of open spaces.

Do you have canes w/winter damage to prune a lot yearly? Love to see you share your 60 climbers blooming & ysrd photos on ”Seasonal thread!” They are spectacular!

• User
    last year

@KittyNYz6 "I have New Dawn but she only bloomed once flush her first year-2021 season-is that normal? Will she bloom more this year?"

If the plant is new and still quite small, then that's not unusual. However, if after another year or two it still only flowers in the spring, then you may have a reversion sport back to its origin variety, 'Dr. W. van Fleet', which is a once bloomer. That does happen sometimes - a repeat blooming sport reverting back to its original state.

• KittyNYz6
    last year

@User

Thank you for your comment. I have been concerned it had done reversal to original state. I’m going to try to see it grow again this year & hope it reblooms or ask Heirloom Roses to send me a replacement. I really appreciate your imput! Have a lovely spring!