Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16647

Anyone up for another fabric challenge?

User
6 years ago

I'm trying to find a complimentary fabric for this print which is Robert Allen - Spring Mix / Spring. It's for some simple tie up valances I'm thinking about having made for our kitchen and dining room windows. Any ideas?

Comments (11)

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

What will the fabric you posted be used on? Chairs?

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

Do you have any color preferences in either of these rooms? Any colors on the DR chair cushions?

If you can't match the linen color and texture exactly, I like the sage color. Are you thinking of a roll-up shade or some actual curtain panels? I'd probably keep it very simple rather than a lot of fabric, but that's just me. And a lot depends on how large and long your windows are too.

User thanked OutsidePlaying
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi Threedogs, This is what I was considering, but am on the fence and open to any suggestions you might have. The fabric pictured above would be the primary print. I was considering a buffalo check or stripe (see below) but the print of the fabric is pretty big, not so sure how it would work. I really like your example, maybe a less wide solid border like that is the answer. I'd also want the valance to have more oomph or fullness like yours does. One of the windows is 58 inches wide, which is one of the reasons I'm having them made.

Outside, I posted a pic above of what I'm considering. I have no other fabric in the room to coordinate with, but I am trying to find something that will work with our stone backsplash, which leans to the blue side. I like sage too or maybe even the coral but I worry that they will clash with the stone. The pics below are the same print in but in two different colors. The one without the coral has more teal in it and goes perfectly with the stone, but I like the one with coral because it has more life to it. I'll have one in the kitchen and a larger one in the dining room.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    6 years ago

That piece (striped) that I used was a sample from the furniture store that my sister works at. I only had a piece that was 26" by 34" so had to add the linen on the edge and also lined it with that and did the tie-ups from it. It was very heavy fabric so easy to hand fold into the 'horizontal pleats' at the bottom.

I think I might do a small check fabric for the tie-ups, as the print is large itself. Something like this one, as you don't want it to compete with the main fabric. 100% Flax Linen Fabric Yarn Dyed 2mm Small Gingham Check Light Green

This is an OLD post with some of my valances in it. HERE

Look at the 6th pic down in it it the half bath (that I just re-did!) and see the valance that has a small green check fabric tie-up. The main fabric is a similar size print as your example, which is why I wanted you to see it.

I tried to save the pics from it, onto this laptop, but they wouldn't save in the right format. I've also used coordinating cord as tie-ups in some cases, as you'll see on a silk check valance in the dining room.

User thanked My3dogs ME zone 5A
  • tinam61
    6 years ago

I have some of that fabric. I was going to use in our kitchen but decided against it. I don't have it in front of me but as I recall, it is more of a reddish (maybe rusty red) than coral, so I'm not seeing the coral with it. I wouldn't use a buffalo check but a smaller check. It's very nice fabric and should make up nicely.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks My3Dogs! I really appreciate it! I am actually tickled with your suggestion because I love gingham. Seeing the scale of the fabric is a big help and your window is similar in size as well. What a beautiful home, everything about it says cozy and warm to me. Love that.

Hi Tina, thanks for the feedback! I wonder if you have the brighter version of this fabric called Poppy; the colors in that one are a bit more pronounced and the red is a barn red of sorts. The red in the spring seems to have an orangey tint to it, but you're right it isn't coral. I think My3Dogs has nailed it for me, gingham it is! (BTW, hadn't seen you here in a bit and was thinking about you, so glad to see you posting again)

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Lukkiirish, you could do either color way. The coral one would give you more contrast, while the teal one would feel more tone on tone with your backsplash. If you're looking for an accent fabric for trim and tie backs I would consider either a coral or teal in a grosgrain type texture. I think that would look really pretty. That fabric already has so much pattern going on, not sure you need another pattern to coordinate with it. If you do a pattern, defiently not check. The lattice might be okay, just make sure the scale of the pattern in the accent fabric is smaller than the floral one you have.

User thanked User
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

My3dogs, just for the heck of it, I've saved one of your pics to my ipad and reposted it here, maybe the change in threads will allow to save it now. If you are, I can do the same with the other pics.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    6 years ago

Thanks, Lukki! That did allow me to save the pic, but you don't need to do the others. I'll play around and see if I can do it another way. Ta dah! I copied the old pic from that post into an email and was able to save it from there.

I think that I'd just use the tiny check for tie-ups and not add a border at the bottom, as it will take away from the main fabric if there's more of it. If you want more at the bottom, maybe do a trim that blends with the colors in the fabric.

But, ultimately, it's YOUR kitchen, so do whatever you'd like to do! :-)

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Yeah! Glad it worked, but if the email thing doesn't work for the others, just let me know and I'll post them here, it only takes a couple of seconds to do.

I agree about the border and thank you Sara for your input. I have some thinking to do but at least I have some direction now.