Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avalongod46

Sad Willow Tree, need help

Hi folks:

We had this poor willow tree put in last year (late Sept). It was in poor condition when we got it and said so but the landscaping company assured us it would recover. Of course then it was the off-season so we weren't sure how it was doing until it started producing leaves again. As you can see it's "alive" but in kind of sad shape.

There actually were a lot of dead branches (totally dry) which I've cut off). You can see it's sprouting some news bits toward the bottom, but less action up top. I would normally trim away the lower growth, but I'm afraid the deprive the poor tree of all photosynthesis.

We've (the landscaper and I) agreed to take a "Wait and see" to see if it bounces back. Do folks here have any recommendations? Any chance of recovery or is it done for? The landscaper thought it probably had root damage, although I suspect it had an insect infestation in the trunk (a woodpecker went at it pretty good over the winter).

Input welcome.

Chris

Comments (12)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    6 years ago

where are you..

how do you water it???

its stressed.. not hungry.. no fert ...

was it potted.. or BB??... how was it planted???

what is the native soil ... what was the weather since planting ... drought. etc?... the pond sure seems down..

ken

• Christopher Ferguson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It has irrigation 3x week plus, at this point, daily rain from Central Florida rain showers (that's the location too...Orlando). It has a direct irrigation line.

The landscaper planted it, so it was "professionally" done...

Native soil is sandy, but does reasonably well (and other willows do fine, particularly near water).

Most of the damage done to the plant seemed to have been done before we got it (like I said I pointed out dead branches when it arrived but was kind of pooh-poohed). We did have a drought through May, but it has direct irrigation and I kept supplementing that irrigation several times a week with a hose (I know willows like a lot of water).

• Logan L Johnson
    6 years ago

The mulch shouldn't touch the trunk, and the ring should be widened. Remove all branches without leaves, keep it watered, replace if it doesn't recover.

• Christopher Ferguson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What about those lower sprouts...should I leave those or trim them. Not sure if trimming them encourages more growth up top or just kills the tree faster...

• Logan L Johnson
    6 years ago

I would leave them for now, because they are making food for the tree, which will help it during establishment. By next year, after the canopy starts growing, you can go ahead and remove the sprouts. But, if they really bother you, removing them won't kill the tree, but it will probably send up more sprouts.

Christopher Ferguson thanked Logan L Johnson
  • Christopher Ferguson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh they don't bother me...just trying to figure out what's best. So you figure it's salvageable? I'll keep it well-watered and deal with the mulch around the base.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    6 years ago

dig a few holes with a hand trowel ..... AND FIND OUT if your irrigation.. is getting water down into the roots planted ...

lawn irrigation is rarely sufficient for newly planted trees ...

you are kind of guessing at this point ... as far as i can read between the lines ...

ken

Christopher Ferguson thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • Christopher Ferguson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yeah, fair enough. As I mentioned it actually has it's own dedicated bubbler (I'm sure that's not the proper word)...but I'll check to make sure if the water is getting deep enough.

• Logan L Johnson
    6 years ago

I'm guessing it has a drip line, but I've never dealt with irrigation/lawn sprinkler systems. It is salvageable. I would also extend the mulch ring, you can get mulch pretty cheap at walmart (don't buy the died kind). It looks like it had a rough year when it was planted, and is trying to recuperate. I had some transplants last year that looked pretty rough, but they pulled through and are doing wonderful.

Christopher Ferguson thanked Logan L Johnson
  • l pinkmountain
    6 years ago

What Logan said. Transplant shock. Willows grow pretty fast, it should recover, give it a year or two. It could have a disease but I can't see tell tale signs of anything in particular.

Christopher Ferguson thanked l pinkmountain
  • Christopher Ferguson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok, thank you everyone. I will take the advice offered and keep fingers crossed. Just gave it a good watering (it's a rare day in Orlando no rain is predicted.)