Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faron79

Those Christmas-car commercials!

Faron79
6 years ago

Trivial stuff here...at BEST! :-)

Anyway..... My faves are the MB ones. A recent one where "Santa" is walking by the cars, & the one car is kinda "straining" to GET GOING is neat! Santa then gives a sly grin to that car. That is SO ME!! Then they roar out of the garage.

This years one is cute too! On a snowy mountain road, the white cars (reindeer) are leading "Santa's sleigh". Then there's a puppy whine. The procession stops suddenly! A cute little Golden-Retriever puppy jumps out & runs to the trees for potty-time! For a couple seconds, he peeks back towards Santa! Damn that's cute!! Then, back in the red car with Santa, he lets out a big "lets go!" bark. Vroom! The whole "herd' takes off. I wouldn't mind Santa's red 2-dr MB hot-rod!! ;-)

You Guys have any fave car-related Ads? Christmas or other?

Faron

Comments (30)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    6 years ago

My favorite car/Christmas story isn't a commercial. One year, my uncle bought my aunt a new car for Christmas. He put the keys in the toe of her stocking-last thing she opened!

Now, I hope I see the one you mentioned. That sounds adorable-always a sucker for pups!

• Fun2BHere
    6 years ago

I don't think it's a Christmas commercial, but I'm still in love with the VW commercial where the dogs bark the Star Wars theme.

• hhireno
    6 years ago

I can't recall knowing anyone who bought a car at Xmas time/end of the year, but based on the number of ads, it must be a big sales time.

I don't need to see them again but there are two ads with a kid dancing around a car and then the kid turns out to be an adult, dressed the same, filled with childish excitement I guess. Cute but okay, I've seen it, don't need to see it again. And I didn't notice what brand they were advertising.

Maybe I should pay attention to the ads, I want a car with a heated seat and heated steering wheel. I'd feel guilty getting rid of my current car so I probably won't pursue the heated options. I'll just wear a longer coat and thicker gloves. Bam! just saved thousands of dollars.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

Those ads always bother me. I think they are just the kind of ads that lead to Christmas depression for some - no Lexus in the driveway Christmas morning, with a big bow on it. Just the same old clunker that was parked the night before. Any ad that encourages unrealistic present aspirations is bad in my mind.

• chispa
    6 years ago

hhireno, life is too short not to enjoy heated seats and heated steering wheels! Even though I live in mostly sunny southern CA, I still use both of those features on coldish winter mornings. DH and sons always want the car interior much colder than I like, so sometimes I use the heated seats to warm me up, but still let them keep the interior cooler.

Also have ventilated/AC seats, which I use quite often in the summer heat.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yeah, up here in Fargo, heated seats are a Godsend!! DW's AWD Regal has every available option. She grumbles when when we use my '08 Impala to haul me & my scooter around! It's a little bigger inside, so it's easier for me! Since it's an LTZ, it's got Chevy's top trim, including leather heated-seats. BUT....no heated wheel! Her 2014 Black-Metallic Regal has that. She uses her "hot wheel" all the time in Fall/Winter.

I'd love to to try the ventilated seats in something! Like Chispa's guys, I run a little warm!

I had to look on y/t for my MB/Puppy ad! There's also a cute Lexus SUV ad, where a Woman in a red coat & beret is leaning on its hood & smiling. I think it starts out with her as a younger girl doing the same thing?

Faron

• bpath
    6 years ago

Ooh. I haven't see any clever commercials yet. But I'm totally on board with heated seats. I've been driving my dad's car lately and am a total convert. Heated steering wheel, well, I miss my old minivan where I could direct the vents to blow warm air on my fingertips. But I don't use my fingertips to drive and they get colder than the rest of the fingers so I'm not sure heated steering wheel does the trick.

My fave is still the Subaru commercials: the goldens, and the safety-related ones ("They lived" and "You're not taking that").

We just donated a car and are basically a one-car household, so I'd love to see a car with a big red bow on it in the driveway!

• User
    6 years ago

Dh's 2008 Odyssey has heated seats. We don't use them often, but they're nice for the occasional cold winter day.

Love my 2000 4Runner, but dh has been pushing new for the past few years. I test drove a Subaru and hated it. That's as far as I've gotten.

• Oakley
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

This is what I bought two weeks ago, heated seat and all the bells and whistles. Black.

The ad for this is so cool for me. If you watched the movie "Benny & Joon" ...fantastic movie...this song played at the end. DS2 and I stood up in the LR singing along with the music, and when we'd hear it together on the radio, well, we'd start singing again!

AND...the commercial has a dog in it!

BTW, we deliberately waited until the end of the year when they get rid of their current vehicles to make room for the next year's models. We saved a lot of money.

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Loved Benny & Joon! Dh did the same when he bought his Odyssey in December 2008. The 2009 was out, so he got a wicked deal on a fulled loaded 2008.

• functionthenlook
    6 years ago

One of our local car dealers has a commercial telling everyone to avoid the crowds on Black Friday and come to the dealership to shop. Yea, I am going to buy everyone on my Christmas list a new car.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oakley....nice tune!! The geeky Scottish twin-brothers, "The Proclaimers". Say......Oak....we're waiting for pics!! :-)

Glad some of you got good deals!

Faron

• terezosa / terriks
    6 years ago

I just want to know where they get those giant bows!

• Faron79
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here's my MB Puppy commercial. I'm just infatuated with that little pup! Ok.....the car is cute too! I've been a "good" boy Santa......MOSTLY?!??!??! ;-)

Faron

• Faron79
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I cant stop!!! If I walked into THIS "room", I would die...just DIE!!! Just trying to hint Santa.... ;-)

Faron

• Oakley
    6 years ago

Faron, my ds who lives next door has a 9 yr. old Golden and a 4 month old Golden. You'd swoon. :)

• hhireno
    6 years ago

Chispa: life is too short not to enjoy heated seats and heated steering wheels!

You know, there is a lot of truth to this. I guess a downside to naming my cars is I feel attached to it and guilty about getting rid of it when there isn't a problem. OTOcoldH, it's a long winter and it hasn't really started yet.

What I want in a new car: heated seats, I'd prefer they not be leather (I find leather hot in summer and colder than fabric in winter until the heat kicks in); heated steering wheel; has to be white, not sparkly white but what a car salesman called refrigerator white. He said it judgmentally, as if his brand of sparkly white was better. I said "that's exactly what I want, refrigerator white, and you don't have that? See ya!"

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

Faron, I had not seen that commercial, but it’s the cutest!

One of my favorites was from last year when the adults and kids had switched roles. The adults were all excited, waking up the kids so they could go downstairs for Christmas. The kids were sleepily saying, I’ll make the coffee and such. The adults ran outside and were excited to find their new car. Cheesy? Sure, but it was funny and creative.

Heated seats? Oh yeah, even in the south I love them and must have. Nothing warms me up more quickly.

• maire_cate
    6 years ago

Faron - Occasionally I drive past the F C Kerbeck dealership if I take the Tacony Bridge into Philly. You would really enjoy his display of spiffy cars - Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Maserati, Rolls.....and then his selection of everday GMC and Buicks.

• runninginplace
    6 years ago

Hmmm, heated seats aren't on my car wish list, in sunny subtropical South Florida LOL.

Also Cyn, you are the only person I've ever heard say they or someone they knew actually got a new car as a Christmas gift.

I HATE those car commercials, it's the ultimate example of selling the season and making a marketing fantasy seem like it should be a reality. I mean c'mon....a gift that costs $30K, $40K or more?! Yeah I'm sure that's at the top of lots of holiday gift lists-not.

Scrooge rant done!

• maire_cate
    6 years ago

My dealership has a couple of those big red bows. I bought my current car on Dec. 29 and I did get a really good deal. But I was a little disappointed when I picked it up later that afternoon it didn't have a bow on it. They had parked it in front of the dealership and I think it would have looked great - and all white SUV with a big red bow. Then I found out that all of their bows had been sold to customers who had bought 'Christmas' cars.

I traded my Suburban with 100,000 miles on it for a new Chevy Tahoe. DH wanted different tires on it so I had to pick it up the next day. When DH pulled into the dealership there was my new Tahoe with helium balloons tied to the door handle.

I always get heated seats but never the heated steering wheel. I have small hands and prefer the grip on the wood steering wheels, sometimes the heated ones are a little too thick.

We recently downsized into a home with a significantly smaller 2 car garage. Both of our cars fit, snug, but they fit and you could open the door wide enough to get in or out. But DH insisted on bringing his fully equipped work bench to the new place which would make parking a neat feat. He traded in his big sedan for a significantly smaller F-Pace which came with heated and cooled front and back seats. Last month we spent 6 hours on the PA turnpike and I loved the warmth of those heated seats. My car only has heated cushions on seat bottom. On his car you can select to heat the bottom and the back. It was lovely.

• Bunny
    6 years ago

running, I hate them too, esp. the Honda Holiday Sing-Along commercial.

• Oakley
    6 years ago

I think the commercials are also to entice people to buy a current year car for lower prices.

Last night I found out a good friend bought her DGS a brand new Jeep for his 16th birthday. I hope the parents of the boy know how much they'll be paying in insurance. Double what girls cost here in OK. So glad those days are over, we had two boys driving at once.

• Allison0704
    6 years ago

Love that commercial, but it wouldn't entice me to go buy a car.

Like above, I did buy EOY Dec 31st almost 2 years ago. It has heated seats and steering wheel. I like the look of wood steering wheel better, but I'm now used to the wrapped wheel and the heat is nice when it's really cold. fwiw, the MB faux leather - MBTex - is so realistic, it didn't bother me switching over to faux. It's also easier to remove blue jean bleeding. DD1 ordered her new MB a few months ago, so we are now a 4 Benz family. DS is the odd ball with his Prius. ;D

My sister and I got cars for Christmas when I was 16yo and she was 20yo. She had a car, I didn't. We both got a new Scirroco.

Oakley, insurance for boys used to be more here, but that was decades ago. Girls have more wrecks (imo), and it is the same now. I was always glad for mine to have "the" birthday, so their insurance would go down.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Kind of a sidebar (on my own thread!)....

Insurance: With cell-phones now in the hands of EVERYONE, I wonder if this has made rates better or worse?!??! I know there's no way to extrapolate that out, but......??? With the under-30 crowd WELDED to the things, I get real curious how insurance ratings have evolved?

GMC has had their "we slept in & saved" ads rolling for a bit now. I kinda like those! We are NOT black-friday shoppers!!!

Faron

• always1stepbehind
    6 years ago

LOL...I hate to be a bah hum bug too, but I was just saying the other night that I hate those dumb x-mas car commercials. My same thought, who really gets a brand new Lexus or other luxury car for Christmas.

• 3katz4me
    6 years ago

I like the tune on the Honda ad. Otherwise I haven’t paid much attention as I’m not in the market for a vehicle. We have five for two people so more than enough. One is a 1994 SL320 convertible that we bought a few years ago off a grocery store bulletin board ad with 14,000 miles on it - relatively cheap. Another one is a 1977 FJ40. And we aren’t really car people....

• graywings123
    6 years ago

Yes, people do get cars as Christmas gifts. My most memorable Christmas gift ever: a 1993 Mazda Miata that showed up on 12/24. I love that car.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oak..... I expect to see pics of your Edge, AND those Golden's!!!!! Puhleeeze?!??!! ;-)

Faron