Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esk8mw

Need Help Picking Glass Options

esk8mw
6 years ago

Hopefully the last time I bug you guys on this stuff! Looks like Andersen E-Series are likely to get the nod but I have 3 quotes with different glass specced and I'm not sure what the best option is when balancing cost and performance. I'm in a cold midwest climate, but not extremely cold like MN. All of these are dual pane.

1. Low-E(272) - cheapest

2. SmartSun - about 2k more expensive than 1 on a 50k project

3. SmartSun with Heatlock - about 4k more expensive than 1 and 2k more expensive than 2

Main priorities are 1. avoiding condensation when it gets around zero degrees without making the air uncomfortably dry 2. energy efficiency 3. glass clarity. Cost is of course also of huge importance. Would the UV protection in SmartSun protect my hardwood floors at all and prevent fading? If yes that would be a huge benefit in my book.

What should I do?

Comments (6)

• PRO
    toddinmn
    6 years ago

Unable you priced out triple panes?

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    6 years ago

+1. The ratings would be helpful to know, but if option 3 has that interior low-e coating, that is an IMMEDIATE disqualifier for a climate like Minnesota, or here in Wisconsin... Assuming that option to has a low solar gain, that is not likely to be ideal either. Option 1 with a marginally inferior u value, but better shgc will likely be the most energy efficient overall, have superior clarity (brighter), and still offer significant protection against fading etc... If you want to really optimize performance, you could look at utilizing option 2 on select units that don't get much sun anyway, but it is not likely to make a night and day difference overall, and some folks would rather have the brighter windows in those locations anyway.

The ratings that you are looking for to compare are:

U factor: lower is better

SHGC: higher is better in its simplest form for your location

CR (condensation resistance): Higher is better

VT (visible transmittance): Higher is better (more light)

Last but not least, a BIG +1 to Todd's recommendation on triple pane. There are not many locations that can benefit from triple pane more than MN. You will have some trade-off's on shgc and VT, but BIG gains in u factor and CR to more than make up for it.

• esk8mw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I did not price out the triple panes out of cost fears! I assume it's a significant upcharge right? How much above the heatlock (most expensive) quote would you estimate? Keep in mind I'm in Illinois, not MN.

Sounds like Smartsun might be the best middle of the road option?

Anyone know if the SmartSun UV protection would help keep my hardwood floors looking better and resist fading?

• PRO
    toddinmn
    6 years ago

Standard low E blocks about 85% of UV vs 95% on smart sun.

Standard Low E lets in about 72% of light vs 65% on smart sun.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    6 years ago

Everything about your list of wants = Triple pane to be honest.