Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbmarti2

What wall tile to use

Shawn
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi All,

I have an original thread on the go for my kitchen reno but at the suggestion of others I am making a dedicated post to the last few decisions. My other thread will continue to be updated [here.[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/which-kitchen-layout-should-i-use-dsvw-vd~5224834)

In short I am looking for wall tile and paint options. I will tile the range hood wall, the 6” run above the countertops, and the small area next to the fridge, The back wall with the windows will be painted.

All ideas are appreciated, but a few design ideas I want to move forward with are below:

- I will have black drawer hardware

- I want to do open shelving between the wooden post and the range hood. Some kind of wood with iron piping if you know what I mean

- I though of doing the range hood wall in thin brick, but that may be too busy.

Quinn Kitchen · More Info

Comments (245)

• Shawn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks! I gave it a few days, and I think this is the colour I am going to go with. I should have it painted over the weekend.

• Shawn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here a few more pictures. I have painted the kitchen, finished the tiling, and sealing the bar top. I'll have the doors for the broom closet done on the weekend, and then it's just what to do on the back wall and then general decorating (which I am categorically rubbish at).

As far as I can see, I need some large open shelving behind the door, and then maybe a table or some accent piece between the windows. I could put this decorative Shelving Unit between the windows- thoughts? The other option is a table and more seating/table top space, which was my original option. Otherwise I am planning to do some form of wood and iron pipe shelving behind the door, preferably where it hangs from the ceiling (there is only one stud between the window and the corner). I appreciate all thoughts, but generally i should be done within a few weeks, which is very exciting.

• PRO
    Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
    5 years ago

The blue is very pretty - it's exciting that you are coming to end of your project! I really don't think you need anything on the back wall except maybe some art work. I would like to see some shelves on the range wall and maybe a small island for the middle of the room for more counter space and storage. Here are two possibilities. The first one is from Ikea and is a perfect size - 43" x 22". The second one is from Crate & Barrel - it's too big for your space, but I thought that maybe since you are so handy, you could build something like it.

Ilhas e carrinhos de cozinha | IKEA · More Info

Bluestone Reclaimed Wood Large Kitchen Island + Reviews | Crate and Barrel · More Info

• Shawn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here are some pictures from what I did this weekend. I am really happy with it.

• Shawn
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I hit post too quickly it seems.

The cart idea makes sense. I am open to all suggestions and I like that one, but mainly I just need storage for pots and pans. From Ikea I like the Vadholma island as it is the right size and has a nice butcher block top.

Agreed on wall storage, that definitely has to happen. I was going to get the Ikea Kungsfors system with a wooden shelf on the top, the rails below you can hang stuff from beneath that, and maybe also a knife magnet.
  • PRO
    5 years ago

The refrigerator cabinet looks great! And gives you quite a bit more storage - I imagine. Are you looking at the Vadholma island or the cart? I was afraid that the island may be a bit too big - but, then again, I'm not in the space. The Kungsfors system looks perfect. It gives you additional storage and that industrial look you prefer.

• Shawn
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I am looking at the island, but they have 2 sizes. I like the one that is 31" x 24".
  • PRO
    5 years ago

I think that would be the perfect size.

• User
    5 years ago

Looks great...

I like the bigger island..you can have seating at that one. How will it fit? Can you tape out the measurements on the floor?

• Shawn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

What size would you recommend taping on the floor in addition to the 31 x 24? I have the tool chest there now which is 60" x 21" and it feels far too large. Something more square could work though.

• Shawn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Which orientation do you guys prefer? I would lean towards the one where it is perpendicular to the back wall. This tool chest is 54" x 20". I am happy to go wider but I don't think I would want a length greater than 3 feet.

Alternatively, I can make a river table out of the two pieces in the bottom picture. A deep blue epoxy would look nice and I could do a metal base with a bit of storage (or just leave it as a table). My only hesitation is just that it would be a lot of walnut in a small space. I can still use the wood somewhere else so I am not married to these pieces, but figured I would ask either way.

• User
    5 years ago

What if you just got Ikea upper cabinets (back to back---I think they're 12 inches deep each) and added a longer top than needed so you have a bit at the end to tuck a couple of stools under?

I know you can get a stainless top at a reasonable cost from a fabricator...

• Shawn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I thought about doing something like that when I was initially looking at islands. I could also just get a standard base cabinet that is 24" deep and then pick either 30" or 36" for the width. A steel top wouldn't be a bad shout either.

• User
    5 years ago

Well, uppers would give you a depth of 30 inches if you do them back to back.. (I just checked and the uppers are 15 deep) You could do a base cabinet, but you would have to finish off the back (no problem for you).

You could either have storage at the end closest to the window wall and have extra at the end for seats, or you could do uppers but have a couple of them side by side so that the depth is 15 by whatever length you want...then have the top be 30 inches deep and have one side of it flush with the front of the cabinets and seating on the other side...For me, I would do the max length possible if you're not having seating anywhere else other than the bar...

I would prefer the first idea (seating at the end) as I think it's a bit awkward to sit in a row...not very romantic to be staring at your fridge if you know what I mean...

I think you NEED to do it perpendicular to the wall if you want to be able to seat people there. Either that, or come up with an actual table and have it in your living room somewhere?

ETA your tool chest doesn't look too large to me...don't forget that some of it will be open (should you do the seating at the end) so visually it will give you less of a heavy feel...

• Shawn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I think it needs to be multi functional. A big table/island is going to only be useful on a few occasions, but it would be nice to have the option to have it when I need it. Perhaps if I build an island out of some kind of cabinet, but then have a table top with a hinge that I could straighten out and hook onto the wall to add some length. That would mean the seating is between the windows on the wall, facing each other. I'll need to spec it out and maybe draw something, but I like the idea of doing that with an open cabinet as that is a place I could put my colourful pots. I could have metal stools and keep them stacked behind the exterior door.

Agree on the perpendicular island nonetheless and sitting across from one another, and maybe you are right on the length. I guess I just like the idea of having something large and also having something small based on the day.

Edit: Something like the below, except the front legs would be a cabinet, and rather than being affixed to the wall the table top would hook onto it and fold down behind the cabinet the rest of the time.

• PRO
    5 years ago

You'll want to maintain 36-42" minimum all around the island. Its not as important at the back wall, but in the space where you will be working and opening the frig, you'll need the room.

• PRO
    5 years ago

What about a wall-mounted drop down table between the two windows?

(101) Pinterest · More Info
    (101) Pinterest · More Info

• Shawn
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    That could work. I was thinking of trying to combine that idea with the island, but maybe it's easier to do them separately.
  • User
    5 years ago

Or this...

If you can store your seats elsewhere, you can just roll the inner part completely out of the way for a table for 4, or just part of the way for eating for 1 or 2 on one side.

I would aim for 30x60 or as close as possible (you won't be using your kitchen when you're sitting eating, hopefully)...you'll need "counter" height seating, but there are lots of those online, plus I think you can get fold up seats to hang out of the way somewhere...

• Shawn
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hmm, a wall table and a cart that could go under it would be ideal. I'll put my thinking cap on to see if I can come up with a design that works.
  • leelee
    5 years ago

I don't like anything that takes up that much floor space or juts out into your kitchen that much. Especially something that is closed in at the bottom. It will look like it's blocking the entrance door to your kitchen.

What is the purpose of the island or cart, exactly? Storage? Prep space? Something else? Do you have a table elsewhere? Or just the bar.

• Shawn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

OK, I think I have decided. I am going to do the below:

- I am going to make a drop down river table with steel pipe legs. The river table was always my plan, but I like including the drop down option in case I need the floor space.

- I am going to make a rolling shelf by using this shelf from Ikea. I'll add some wood to the top and put a drop down leaf on it as well so it can operate as a small island as well as a be pushed up against the wall.

Doing the above means I have the option for a table with the shelf underneath it (facing the door). This gives me seating for two on the opposite side, but also seating for four if I move the cart. I can also drop the table and have the cart against the wall, so the footprint can be quite small if needed. Finally the drop leaf gives me a bit of extra surface area on the cart if I need it- I doubt it will be often but it won't be hard to do, so may as well.

The table top will be the walnut slabs I showed above, and i will use this pigment for the river. The legs will be steel pipe which will add to the industrial look, and I will go for orange metal stools like these to add a bit of colour. They can stack behind the door when I don't need them.

Thoughts?

• User
    5 years ago

Wow...well I don't understand it at all...you're having a drop down table like the picture above? What is the "shelf underneath" the table?

What do you mean "drop the table" to have the cart against the wall? I thought the table went UP so that the cart goes against the wall..down it would go where?

I'm sure it will be great when it's done, I just am confused so...no thoughts can be given ;)

• Shawn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I was worried about that. I'll try to simplify.

- I am going to make a table that folds down onto the wall rather than folds up (I can't block the light switches). So it's affixed to the wall but when I don't need it I unlock the legs and the edge that is closest the sink will sit just above the floor against the wall.

- I am going to make the cabinet in the above post into a cart. It can sit against the wall when the table is folded down, or it can sit underneath the table when it's, well, a table.

• User
    5 years ago

Okay...I get it...could you have the fold-down table just attached to the island as the end piece? It might look great there because it would be visible (no island to block it--and that would allow for a couple of narrow shelves if you wanted them) on the wall. You *could* also seat 1 or 2 more people if the storage bit of the island is recessed enough on one side (in other words, if you could manage a 12 inch overhang on ONE side...a squish, but it would only be used in a pinch.

Just spitballin' stuff you may not have considered...

• Shawn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, that's definitely a good thought to consider. For now I am going to build the cart just to get some extra storage so I can clean up the house. I'll design the table once I have that built.

• Shawn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

OK, the cabinet was a bust. I went to Ikea and had a look at it and it was pretty chintzy looking. I'll still do some form of cart, but I'll need to rethink what to use.

On the plus side I have the epoxy and the pigment I'll use to tint it. I'm going to go for mostly blue with some green. I'll have the mold built in the next day or two so hopefully I'll have pictures posted by the end of the week. Hopefully by then I'll figure out what I'm doing with it!

• PRO
    5 years ago

I would go back to the smaller Ikea Valholma island which gives you extra counter space and storage for your pots and pans.

With the smaller island you would still have room for your drop-down table. Maybe make the table like this one from Ikea with a small ledge so that you can add some plants for decor.
    (115) Pinterest · More Info

• Shawn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have bad news and good news on the table top:

The bad news is my 1.5 gallons of epoxy was not quite enough, so I am a quarter inch low.

The good news is I can lighten the colour and add a bit of green to it. I find the current colour a bit too dark, although I do like the effect. Shame epoxy is bloody expensive.

I am going to do the ledge option you mentioned below as it adds a bit of length to what would otherwise be a short table. I like the idea of a small cart, but again, the Ikea valholma cart feels a bit cheap. Well, the top is at least. I may still go with it, or I'll buy something better if I can find it.

• PRO
    5 years ago

Will that be the front or back of the table?(kind of looks like a wine bottle:)) I didn't know you thought the Valhoma island looked cheap - I thought you were talking about the Eket shelves that you were thinking of making a cart out of. There are plenty of other small islands out there to choose from.

• Shawn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I should clarify- I was talking about the eket shelving initially as that stuff looks and feels cheap. The Vadholma cart looks very nice, but I felt the butcher block top of it feels a bit cheap. I may still go with it, but as I am not in a rush, I'll see what else is around.

It does look like a wine bottle. I didn't plan that out but those were the sides of the slabs that I liked so I kind of had to go that way.

• PRO
    5 years ago

This could be a nice choice.

John Boos JNS01 Work Table, Wood Top, 36"W X 24"D · More Info

• Shawn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That is nice. I'm going to visit a few stores tomorrow to see what I find.

On a different note, what do you think of these stools for the bar? Not sure I love the others ones I have.

• PRO
    5 years ago

I like the black, but my taste lean a little more traditional. Something like this?

Henley Adjustable Height Swivel Bar Stool & Reviews | Joss & Main · More Info

• Shawn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I like those, but considering how much I am spending on the kitchen as a whole I am hoping to get a bargain on the stools by keeping an eye on kijiji. The leather ones I have now are just fine so I'm not in a rush, but these popped up and I wasn't sure whether they fit.

I'll probably just continue looking.

• PRO
    5 years ago

I also love a bargain. :)

• Shawn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi All,

Apologies that it has been ages since I've posted- I got distracted by Christmas and then work. However I am (mostly) finished, so I took some photos to share. I have a bit of trim work left to do and I need to install a shelf and some hanging ikea stuff on the wall next to the range, but otherwise this is the finished product. Thanks so much for everyone's help as the advice I received here made all the difference!

• User
    5 years ago

That looks really great...

I just wish you had used that wonderful piece as the fold up part of a larger table or cart...you have the room...(future plan, maybe)

Can you lower and center that picture? And maybe there are window coverings in the works..

You did a great job and I bet it's a pleasure to work in. now :) Thanks for the update!

• Shawn
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Actually, I bought those legs just to make it functional, but that is definitely a temporary solution. At the very least I would lower the height, but I do plan on making it a drop down option as that would make it both more functional and more rigid.

I will lower the picture. I have some vague plans of putting a small tv there you can watch from the bar though.
  • Cheryl Hannebauer
    5 years ago

It's looking pretty good there Shawn....

• PRO
    5 years ago

Looks great! The live edge wood is beautiful.

• Shawn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

... things have developed further. I'm going to put this in two posts since the picture limit is only six. Anyway, I had this deck put on the back of the house, and you may notice that there is now a big double door in the back of the house that connects to the kitchen. The side door that was also there, is now filled in as it's no longer valuable. That means the kitchen renos continue, as there is a big empty space where that door was. To be continued...

• Shawn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is what I have done so far. Most of it you have seen, the new things are the bank of counters with the walnut butcher block, and turning the table into an island.

The real question I have is what should I do above those counters, where the tile abruptly stops. My two thoughts are to put steel pipe open shelving, or to buy glass fronted Ikea cabinets. In either case I also have a bunch of 12" square copper sheets which could possibly make a neat backsplash. If open shelving I would use them for liquor bottles and my le Creuset pots.

I welcome other ideas too of course.

• cliffordhome
    4 years ago

Your kitchen looks great and I agree that you need something on that open space above the counter. I think open shelving in a nice wood would look really nice. It would also give you a little more storage.

• cliffordhome
    4 years ago

You might also want to consider continuing on with the tile accross the entire wall and up to the ceiling to give the wall a uniform look and the open shelving would have the tile behind it.

• Shawn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have considered extending the tiling, and agreed, it would be the most consistent look. I can probably still get more if I tried.

I have these copper sheets a friend gave me. I could glue them on the wall and then use steel pipe to do open shelving. I think it would look great but it wouldn't help with trying the integrate the space.

• Shawn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I love the look of floating shelves, but ideally I would have something stronger. liquor bottles and cast iron are heavy, haha

• PRO
    4 years ago

Shawn - you're back! I love, love the big doors to the backyard - it completely changes the perception of space in your kitchen. My suggestion would be to continue the white tile up to the ceiling on the range wall, and add tile to fill the space between the base cabinet and wall cabinet on the refrigerator wall. Above the new cabinet with the butcher block counter, do your industrial shelves. I don't think you have to worry about backsplash there. I think the copper, while pretty, would be too much in your kitchen. Maybe you could add feet to the butcher block cabinet to make it look like a freestanding cabinet?

• Shawn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

haha I am back! I've been meaning to post an update but my kitchen was never clean enough.

For the tile going to the ceiling the only issue is my ceiling isn't even close to level and the tiles may show that. I can still do it if if everyone agrees.

I like the feet option. I have a kickplate I can install, but the feet option is neat. I have paint so I would just need to fashion some legs.

Understood on the copper. it would be nice, but it would also be a lot.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH