Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grannyjuju

create space, storage and free clutter in home office

Judy Raines
5 years ago

I have a new desk top, great windows/view, , but this is a small room and I do family office work, sew, iron but no space to hide the clutter, I have a wall/cabinet ironing board which can be closed. I do have a futon for sitting and I can use for extra guests, ( there is a small guest bedroom). My office is always a me

Comments (7)

• Toronto Veterinarian
    5 years ago

I fail to see any clutter, except a small amount in the sixth and seventh pictures.

There's also not a lot of room in your photos to add more storage, but I wonder about the wall next to the 70s white chair -- could you hang some decorative storage there (like a series of baskets or a mirror/drawer combination?

• Nidnay
    5 years ago

I think the only way to hide clutter is behind cabinet doors and/or with baskets/containers.

Crescent Heights Show Home · More Info

127th Street Project · More Info

Home Office · More Info

Master Sweet Blue · More Info

Study · More Info

Judy Raines thanked Nidnay
  • Kathy Yata
    5 years ago

Lovely set up. My sewing/office/exercise/library and wannabe guest room looks to be much that size and it took me years to get it looking mostly okay. A good bit was really looking hard at what I really used in there. Half the books, a bookcase, half the fabric and the completely unnecessary office supply organizers went as well. Now the desk drawers have room to stash current work, pens and small essentials live in another and the closet will be able to hold sewing projects in progress soon as well.

Suspect taking all but the essentials out and reevaluating how to keep things on the shelves will do the trick. I used to have the usual paper office organizing in my spare room office and finally figured out I so rarely needed printing paper and envelopes that they were just fine in a box. Goodbye to the organizer. Perhaps a monitor stand for the printer so you can use space under it would help. If it has a drawer then the small things usually corralled in those desk top organizers could live in there instead.. Perhaps a rolling drawer unit under the desk top would corral some things as well. Not sure what is going on under the corner area but finding a couple good sized baskets that cannot be seen through would look less cluttery. When is the last time you went through paper? Perhaps there are things filed you no longer need. And you know what to do with those magazines!

Judy Raines thanked Kathy Yata
  • AnnKH
    5 years ago

Your windows are fabulous!

I would start with clearing everything out of the drawers. I bet you'll be surprised at the stuff in there you never use! Do you have hanging file folders in the deep drawer? If not, that's a place for the things in the file rack on the first shelf.

Now that the drawers are empty, put away everything that is currently out in view. Use dividers in the drawers to keep them organized - I find that if I have a logical place to put something away, it's much less likely that I will leave it out.

How often do you use the shredder? If it is not often, tuck it back in the corner under the desk, out of the way.

By now you may have found logical drawer space for everything on the shelves, leaving it available as display space (which it seems you're doing already, but it's getting lost in the work stuff). Perhaps put the printer on the lowest shelf - it looks like it would fit - if you want to free up counter space. Anything displayed on the shelves - make sure it is large enough to be seen from across the room, or it will get lost. Less is more.

I see you already have baskets or containers under the futon. Again, make sure everything you are storing really needs to be there. If not, you can use that space for things you need in the room.

Good luck!

Judy Raines thanked AnnKH
  • Judy Raines
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks to everyone that answered my design dilemma, my best take a way is wall cabinets. If I cannot find cabinets for under the desk top I can a least hide the clutter with fabric panels

thanks

Judy

• wednesday morning
    5 years ago

Your space is not that cluttered as compared to many others. Yours is more just a bit messy, not really cluttered.

Still, I will bet that you could pare down a lot of things and never miss it. I am always an advocate for paring down things, rather than adding more storage. That only leads to storing more stuff that you probably don't really need, want, or use. And, as a personal preference, I like to have my floors cleared of obstacles. It makes it so easy to clean if there are not things that collect debris behind them. It also adds to a feeling of spaciousness and openness.

You seem to favor a clean and streamlined modern atmosphere. One key to that is to have surfaces that are functional and free of anything but what is being used at the time.

You just need a little paring down and putting away.

Adding more storage cabinets or any such is just adding more "stuff" and occupying more space.

It looks like a very pleasant room with the windows.