Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinkink22

Opinions on GE Cafe Series Range wanted

K G
5 years ago
Okay, we bought this GE Cafe Series range in matte black (it’s definitely not black) and would love some expert opinions. Please don’t mind the mess- we are getting to this part of the house for floors, etc. Originally I had my mind set on the Kitchenaid with the baking drawer because it’s stainless and pretty. My husband is the cook. He really wanted double ovens, plus the burners are a bit better. I’ll stop yacking. Question: Should I have gotten the matte white with brass hardware? That’s literally the only one I see designers use and am afraid I made a mistake. This was a big deal- we had to get a gas line put in, etc. which is also an explanation for the oddly cut drawer fronts of the previous owners. Ah! Thanks in advance Houzzers. Side note- never saw this before I bought it. Nowhere in my city has these on display. Curious about the white looking any better. Opinions? Help!

Comments (16)

• Joy Wills
    5 years ago

We went with the induction single oven in Stainless, but when they delivered it there was a large dent in the door, so we are waiting on a replacement. But I'm curious why you think the stove does not appear black?

• K G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    It’s different in person. More dark gray than black for sure.
  • kim k
    5 years ago

I LOVE the white version of this range and considered it for a hot second but ended up going with stainless. I think it would only work if you match the white of your cabinets to it. Are your other appliances black?

• Fori
    5 years ago

I don't know if the white would be better, but the one you have looks really good. Don't underestimate the appeal of a black stove! The white would probably not be perfect with the cabinets or look as nice with the floor.

• PRO
    Skippack Tile & Stone
    5 years ago

Kim K made an excellent point; unless the white range would match the cabinetry you are better off with the one you have.

• K G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank guys, your input means more than you know. I feel crazy at times! I love being able to ask these questions to people to who can empathize. The rest of my appliances are stainless, to answer that question. The kitchenaid fridge with the wood inside is absolutely beautiful- so I’ll probably get that which means sticking to stainless. I can always get my cabinets painted? Lordy.
  • Sarah
    5 years ago
    From this pic it looks good. Can you take a few more from farther away?

FYI, I have a 10 year old Cafe range and love it. The design is a bit different bc mine has a full sized main oven (a 28 pound turkey fit easily!) and the lower oven looks like a warming drawer but is a real oven. The stovetop is used daily, the main oven multiple times a week. Lower oven a few times a month. It’s great!
  • chloebud
    5 years ago

A white stove would have been hard to pull off with your cabinet color, as already mentioned. Appliance white is pretty stark and can look "off" with white cabs which are rarely appliance white. My choice for a stove would have been stainless, BUT your stove has some stainless on it and should work okay with your other ss appliances.

• wdccruise
    5 years ago

Looks nice -- and better precisely because it is not actually black. -- amateur

• Katie Jones
    5 years ago
    I’m considering buying the GE cafe series appliances. Do you like how the range cooks/bakes?
  • kim k
    5 years ago

melindapardes- I love how my GE Cafe range bakes! I have the double oven version.

• Joy Wills
    5 years ago

I went with the induction version, and so far I'm liking it. It is a big change from my last stove ('73 harvest gold electric coil) so it takes some getting used to all of the heat settings. Also, because our sink isn't hooked up yet I haven't done a lot of baking, but it has been good at toasting/crisping with the convection setting, and the controls are very easy to use/see.

• Katie Jones
    5 years ago
    Thank you. I’m deciding between the GE and a kitchenaid with the baking drawer. I like having the option of two oven temps without two separate ovens. So much to think about!
  • Joy Wills
    5 years ago

I would have preferred the two oven version mentioned above, but we got it as part of a black Friday combo, and our store didn't carry the double oven in SS. I chose the Café because I wanted induction and knobs, the warming drawer was a bonus I'm not sure I'll use, but I do love that the oven has a 'proofing' setting.

• Kim k
    3 years ago

I know that this is a year old

joy- can you take a picture if your black range with other stainless appliances? I’m thinking of doing this in my new kitchen.

also does anyone opinions kitchen aid vs cafe?!