Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eliselm_2000

Paint advice! SW Peppercorn or SW Mink?

Elizabeth Keough
5 years ago

Hello! After going through more than 50 shades of grey to find the perfect complement to our Copacobana black, white and grey countertops and Polar white cabinets in our open floor plan kitchen, we've identified Light French Gray as the best choice in paint depth and complements the gray tones in our counter. We will paint Light French Gray the entire open space (Living room, Kitchen, adjoining hallway and stairway to the second floor). We have lots and lots of windows--our open living room is open to the second floor with 2 sets of French doors and windows lined above along the two exterior walls. (attached pictures of the living room and kitchen).

I would like to paint the far wall of the adjoining living room (the wall with TV and paintings) a deeper color to make it recede a bit as the room isn't super large. I am contemplating SW Peppercorn or SW Mink for this wall. I think going Tricorn Black would be a bit too much for my husband, but a rich deep grey could be the ticket. Floors are a wide plank light white oak--Hurst Hardwoods Arizona - fairly balanced yellow and grey tones. Furniture upholstery is a mix of soft white & soft gold. Two oversized colorful oil paintings with bronzy gold frames. Rug is TBD.

Any thoughts on this pairing? I think they are both beautiful and I'm having trouble deciding.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)

• Kisa Valenti
    5 years ago

Hi Elizabeth, what a lovely room! Great open flow and lightening. Such drama with the high ceilings and windows. Your waterfall counter top is stupendous. As for paint colors - I still think mink is the better choice. I looked at the photos spisland posted of her rooms in that color and liked them. I think it will look even better in your room with all that natural light, The gold/ivory upholstery on your new furniture and the woods of the media unit and lamp tables should work well with that color as well. But you never really know until you get it in the room. That is a big, high wall. Not the easiest to repaint if you decide you don't like it. So I would definitely paint the other walls first and then buy a sample of the the mink and/or tricorn and put it on the wall. You mentioned that your husband is the one who wants to get the room painted now, rather than waiting until the furniture is in place. Is your husband the one who will be painting? Is he willing to redo it if you don't like it? Or are you both okay with paying to have a professional redo it? I recently did a bathroom and tried and rejected 2 samples, before settling on the color we did pick. I'm glad I went through that process and it was a much smaller wall. Good luck, Let us know what you decide and please post photos of the finished project.

• Elizabeth Keough
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi Kisa! Thanks so much for your kindness and thoughtful consideration. I'm an odd duck as I love to paint (except ceilings!), but this wall is too tall for me to do so it will be a local painter. We do have about a month before he can paint, so it sounds like I'd better get a sample and check it out. It isn't too much, but before I purchased a sample I wanted to be sure the color wouldn't look awful next to Lt. French Gray. Thank you!
  • Elizabeth Keough
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Heading off to get samples from SW.