Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zkathy

More on Southern Blight on Winter Snow

zkathy z7a NC
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Earlier posts about Southern Blight

This is how I treated Winter Snow today.

This is what was left of it after I pulled all the loose petioles off. Some damaged ones I cut off. I doused the whole thing with Futolanil.

This is a close up of one of the petiole stems where I cut it off. You can see the orange balls that are basically seeds even though they are called fruiting bodies.

I tried to get as much damaged plant material out of the bed as possible, so I cut the rotted looking parts off close to the ground. You can see how damaged the plant tissue is. I don’t know if this one will make it.

The clippers got a bleach bath. I guess I’ll see how it does the rest of the season.

Comments (23)

• zkathy z7a NC
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Apparently I did use Tebuconazole on this Hosta in 2014.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    4 years ago

what's left looks decent..I think it might make it..have you noticed if Southern Blight affects thinner paler leaved hostas more than the thicker darker leaves?..have you ever had a blue hosta with Southern Blight?..

zkathy z7a NC thanked nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    4 years ago

Pardon my ignorance here, I don’t know what southern blight is, never saw or heard about that where I live, explanation?

Sherry

zkathy z7a NC thanked sherrygirl zone5 N il
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    4 years ago

Thanks, Ken, a positive for living in the frozen north I guess! I learned a new thing today.

Sherry

zkathy z7a NC thanked sherrygirl zone5 N il
  • Jon 6a SE MA
    4 years ago

Good luck with your rescue Kathy

zkathy z7a NC thanked Jon 6a SE MA
  • ademink
    4 years ago

I've lost several plants to SB. Hate it! Last year I had a dozen with it. I cut off everything that was rotten and then dug out every last little "bead" I could find. I put in fresh soil. So far it hasn't hit this year.

zkathy z7a NC thanked ademink
  • zkathy z7a NC
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What part of the country do you live in, ademink?

• zkathy z7a NC
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The leaf thickness has nothing to do with this problem because the attack is at ground level. Punky, the one I lost this week is kind of a variegated blue.

Losing Punky

• ademink
    4 years ago

I'm in Indianapolis - Zone 5b

• zkathy z7a NC
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That’s pretty far north for Southern Blight, but I‘ve heard it‘s not just in the south anymore.

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    4 years ago

Thanks for posting this Kathy...

hoping I never see this problem in my garden!

zkathy z7a NC thanked windymess z6a KC, Ks
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    4 years ago

ade .. ground freeze in indy?

zkathy z7a NC thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • bkay2000
    4 years ago

There's is a great article in the hosta library for dealing with Southern Blight.

If you can get all those balls picked up before you spray, it helps. Some use a small outdoor vacuum to get those cleaned up. Getting all those out of the garden is the key to eliminating the problem in your garden.

bk

zkathy z7a NC thanked bkay2000
  • ademink
    4 years ago

A vacuum. What a great idea!

• ademink
    4 years ago

ken - yes. how deep, i'm not sure. but it froze. did that save me?

• zkathy z7a NC
    Original Author
    4 years ago

bk and Ken, thanks for the links. I reread both of them. Getting the little balls up is imperative and not as easy as it seems. There’s just lots of little round things in soil. Today’s garden walk was pleasant and uneventful. Maybe I’ll be lucky the rest of the season.

• bkay2000
    4 years ago

A lady who lives here and grows in pots also has had southern blight problems. She removes the top soil in her pots every year and replaces it with new potting soil. She swears it works.

I don't know if you remember Moccasin, but she used to make some kind of concoction with hydrogen peroxide to spray her problem plants. I don't remember the exact proportions, but her husband figured it out. It probably would take some sleuthing to find the posts about it, but it might be worth it.

bk

zkathy z7a NC thanked bkay2000
  • zkathy z7a NC
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, bk, the proportions are 1-10 store bought hydrogen peroxide to water. That’s in the post I have linked at the beginning of this post. mocassinlanding also thought hostas were more likely to develop SB if they were not getting enough air circulation, which is certainly the case with both hostas affected this year. WinterSnow had the ivy growing all around it and Punky was in one of the few crowded beds I have. I hope moccasinlanding checks in one day to let us know how her house remodel went.

• zkathy z7a NC
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hydrogen peroxide is highly reactive like chlorine bleach. The X-15 was powered by 70% hydrogen peroxide. Most non-chlorine bleaches are some sort of peroxide.

At a one to ten ratio I can see how it might be easier on the Hosta than a one to ten chlorine bleach solution.

i hate to go to the trouble of digging up Winter Snow. Here’s what happened to Winter Snow last year. (Good pic) I wonder if last year’s losses were to SB?

It’s very impressive looking from the deck. How come 20% of the hostas cause 80% of the work? Maybe later in the summer.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    4 years ago

Don't think you're safe north. I lost Android Frisian Skies to SB, .and I'm zone 5.

zkathy z7a NC thanked MadPlanter1 zone 5
  • lindalana 5b Chicago
    4 years ago

MadPlanter, how dud you identify it was SB ?

zkathy z7a NC thanked lindalana 5b Chicago
  • ademink
    4 years ago

Blight is here. Electrocution and my PERFECT Rick Rack were showing signs. I pulled off the affected leaves, dug out the soil that had any sclerota and treated w/ a systemic drench. The hosta folk who run the Library recommended it and have had great success using a fungicide so YOLO...going to see what happens.