Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skrapotiz

Thoughts on converting shower stall to linen closet

L P
4 years ago

My master bath has a fiberglass shower stall as well as a separate jacuzzi tub right next to shower. No storage space other than underneath the sink/vanity. I would like to covert the existing shower to either a nice linen closet or built in shelves and add a shower head in the tub area to make a combo. Is this a good idea? Also considered putting vanity with seat for make up area within the open shelving area. Has anyone done this successfully. Looking for pros, cons, opinions, ideas, etc. Thanks in advance.

Comments (18)

• ci_lantro
    4 years ago

Because I have zero use for a bathtub, in a master bathroom, I would get rid of the tub. Put in a nice shower and a linen closet. My master bath has a shower only; I've never wanted it any other way.

I had tub showers in the previous house and hated them.

• acm
    4 years ago

Jacuzzi tub might not be a great base for a shower, and the area around it might not be waterproofed enough to be used as a shower. I'd rethink this plan.

• jmm1837
    4 years ago

I'd ditch the jacuzzi before I'd ditch a walk in shower.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Very poor idea. Ditch the jacuzzi before you ditch the shower. More people use a shower than a tub. Additionally having to climb in and out of a tub can be difficult for some.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

I happen to love my tub but Jacuzzis to me are a waste most of my clients that insisted on one are now wishing they had not. IMO if you start ripping out a shower you will damge walls anyway so if you still want a tub and and a shower you will need to redo all the walls around the jacuzzi anyway to waterproof so get ready for a redo. I woud do a nice deep soaking tub / shower and get the storage you need . Use a glass shower screen to keep the space looking open.BTW bathrooms are never a good place for makeup storage and without seeing the floor plan I can’t comment on a make up area but I don’t know many people who actually sit down to apply makeup I amalways removing vanity makeup spaces in bathroom remodels.

• Shelley Ellis
    4 years ago

This is what we are currently doing. Removed an unused garden tub and making a large shower. Then we will convert small fiberglass shower area into a linen closet.

L P thanked Shelley Ellis
  • L P
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@Shelley Ellis Thank you! 11 months later we still haven't done anything, but are revisiting. What you are doing is exactly what we would like to do - convert garden tub to walk in shower only w/ glass doors and make existing shower into linen closet. Would you be willing to share more photos? I'd like to see the linen closet. Did you do the work yourself or hire it out? My husband is very handy, but this is a big job and would take him a looong time to do it. Would you mind sharing approximate expense? I was hoping to stay around $5k, but I have no idea, really. Thanks again.

• Tricia Painter-Ryland
    3 years ago

I'm doing that exact thing! And yes, have to waterproof around the giant tub (duh, dont think anyone was planning on showering next to plain painted drywall 🤦‍♀️ lol). We do have some other issues, like our shower stall being ancient garbage, but hey, we got a GREAT deal on our fixer upper 😉 that mean taking out the tub instead to get even more storage space isn't an option. And also, I'd personally prefer a tub/shower combo to have the best of both worlds. No fun like fighting the dog in the stand up shower stall.... anyways! We have a pretty good idea of what we want to do with the tub area, I'm looking for ideas, or better yet pics, of y'alls new linen closets that used to be showers. Particularly if you opted to not bother redoing the whole floor. My concerns about moisture have me wanting doors instead of just curtain but don't know if difference would be worth all the extra effort? Thoughts?

• Branko Stankovic
    3 years ago

@Shelley Elliscan you share pictures of the converted shower into closet? That is a great idea.

• S Melt
    3 years ago

that's essentially what our master bath reno is, but the shower will be a little bigger than the tub was, and the linen closet a little smaller than the shower.

• L P
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Obviously still in progress but you can see where shower was - now closet area. Where tub was, now walk in shower. Can’t wait for it to be done!

• Branko Stankovic
    3 years ago

@L P looks great! We essentially are doing the same and I'll post pictures. I was just thinking about if I would want our linen closet that deep, but perhaps it is a good idea for more storage.

• Linda Perry
    2 years ago

LP what did the reno cost you? I'm thinking of doing the same

• HU-647390946
    2 years ago

I wou like to know as well. My shower is tiny and I never use my jacuzzi tub Would rather have a closet and tub/shower. Thanks

• Branko Stankovic
    2 years ago

Here is our before and after of the shower area including the rest of the bathroom. I also removed the tub and made the entire area into a walk in shower with glass from floor to ceiling.

• Deborah Peck
    last year

LP - Our bathroom looks exactly the same as your first picture. Do you mind telling me roughly the cost for renovation? Turning bath in to shower/ shower in to closet. Thank you!

• Branko Stankovic
    last year

Deborah, the entire bath was roughly 15k, which means new tiles, pant, trim, cabinets and counters/sinks, faucets, mirrors, light fixtures, linen cabinets and shower tiles. However, I did all the labor myself so If I hired it out to do all the work above it would probably cost about 30-35k. For the shower to linen closet itself, the linen cabinets were about 3k and I did all the installation myself. It turned out the way we wanted it.