Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krista_bennett

Kitchen Design Help

Krista Miller
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We are currently remodeling our kitchen and dining room. We will keep the cabinets and upgrade all appliances to stainless with stainless range hood above the stove. We will install an island (thinking ivory or gray base) and the flooring will be the wood laminate (as shown in the last picture). It is an open floor plan with dining and living room open to kitchen. Wood beams have replaced walls that were removed.
We have discussed raising the cabinets about 6” to allow more clearance between countertops. The top cabinet on the left has been raised 6” for reference. What type of moulding or accent on top of cabinets? We will also do some type of travertine stone backsplash (replacing the tin). Any suggestions on countertop color and material?

This house is over 80 yrs old so it's a little rough. It’s been gutted to the bones and getting a new life!

Comments (15)

• Krista Miller
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is a view from living room (near front door) looking toward the dining area (left) and kitchen (right) it’s all open and will have the same flooring.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Bump!

• jbtanyderi
    4 years ago

Painting the ceiling white or BORROWED LIGHT (Farrow and Ball) would be a big help.

• Buehl
    4 years ago

This is a duplicate thread. See the following thread for the most current comments:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5790810/please-help-need-advice-on-kitchen-design

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

pine cabs, Pine ceiling and the faux wood laminate floor? you're using that throughout the entire space?

I would not use gray for the island, not w/all that yellow toned wood. go w/a cream or even a black, which looks great w/pine.

consider a soapstone or a matte black or deep charcoal countertop.

Eternal Charcoal in a matte finish

forgo the travertine backsplash. it has a tendency to look pink which really won't be a great look w/your cabinet tone. please wait until the countertops are installed before deciding.

normal space between countertop and upper cab is 18-20". I'm sure you can find some Pine crown molding that will match your cabinets. You could also leave them as is and build some boxes on top and install glass in them. Top w/crown

another w/boxes on top. and here is the black example w/a butcher block. see how nice the black looks w/pine?

Or, just leave the space open as is.

I think painting the ceiling white would be a great idea. it would brighten up the space quite a bit. (But I see it goes through the entire space, so maybe that won't work)

Knotty pine, similar flooring and white ceiling. this is sliced agate type of granite. the warm colors work well w/the space.

another black option is black granite that's been honed or leathered. This looks like Jet Mist

This would also look great w/pine. magma gold granite, basalt backsplash

I wouldn't do a SS vent hood like this one. it just doesn't fit your style of kitchen

But, here's your color cabs w/a creamy color countertop

and here's your travertine backsplash. This one doesn't look half bad. just make sure if you choose travertine you get a good quality Ivory color.

• User
    4 years ago

Would not raise the cabinets. Way to high, at least they look it in the photo. Sooo agree with Beth about the backsplash.

• threers
    4 years ago

Those high "out of reach"cabinets are great for storing large items or seasonal items or special occasion items. I have them in my kitchen and they are so useful for seldom used items.

• Krista Miller
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for all the input!
    I think I will stay away from travertine and do something else for the backsplash. We have someone coming to talk about building up the cabs like the picture you submitted.

• Krista Miller
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sorry for the duplicate post. I write this one several weeks ago and it didn’t seem to post so I submitted again. I love this site but this discussion section with comments could use some help.
    Regardless it’s so nice to hear from people who have some experience.

• Krista Miller
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have another question. We purchased quartz countertops from Menards thinking installation was included in the price (like Lowe’s). I contacted the installer Menards recommended and they are charging 75.00 a sq ft for installation. We paid 58.00/sq ft for the quartz. This does not sound right at all!!! Does it???

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

find another fabricator/installer. 75 a sq ft is really high. (also sounds like the installer is giving a kickback to Menards for the recommendation) Find someone else.

And you've already picked a countertop? that wasn't mentioned in your post. what did you get?

• Krista Miller
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I thought that was very high too! And if he’s giving kick back to Menards they need to cancel his contract. He bashed Menards the entire time he was here.
    This is the quartz I’ve picked

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

that looks nice. is that a Cambria or some other brand?

• Krista Miller
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I believe the brand is Riverstone Quartz