Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_109771436

Layout help needed!

gomarq
4 years ago

I’d love your thoughts about a layout for the area near our fireplace. I love the idea of a conversation area with comfy seating, but, as you can see, the fireplace is near a large opening to our dining room, which I don’t want to block too much. Any thoughts would be appreciated! (Excuse the mess; we are about to repaint.)

Comments (10)

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Heather Garrett Design · More Info

• shirlpp
    4 years ago

Two credenzas with lamps on them.

• gomarq
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The room itself is 12 ft, 8 in by 20. The fireplace sits on a wall that 12ft, 8in. We do currently have a sectional that we need to keep for now (I can post a picture of that portion of a room in just a bit). The back of the sectional to the hearth is 7ft. The back of the sectional is basically even with the opening to the dining room, which is also 7 feet.

I’d love shelves (or something?) next to the fireplace but not sure what to do with it.

We aren’t new to the space but are finally tackling the design. We are also going to add new window treatments (what you saw on the floor was the old rod). Undecided on what those will look like.

We also have our TV in the room. Open to where to place it.

• gomarq
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here are the additional pictures. We usually have an ottoman by the sectional, but removed it as part of painting prep...

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Apt sized sofa with two lounge chairs, and coffee table

Shallow chests on either side of the fireplace with framed art & buffet style lamps above.

A mirror or art above the fireplace.

• PRO
    Elizabeth Minish Design
    4 years ago

Hmmm. Now that you have included pictures of the rest of the room, it seems like the best option for the TV wall may be the one opposite the windows which is where one leg of your sectional currently is.

I'm assuming that the TV has to stay in this room and you have also said that that the sectional can't be changed out at this point. Given these restrictions, I would try the sectional flipped so it faces the fireplace with one leg against the windows (but pulled out enough to let the drapery hang free and its other leg to the entrance. A console table behind the section closest to the entry would create a sense of entrance from the entry hall with something more attractive to see than the back of a sofa.

You could then drop your existing chair (for the time being) into the corner between the fireplace and the dining room. (You could still flank the fireplace with storage pieces and artwork, if it wasn't too deep.) The chair would definitely encroach on the entrance to your dining room a bit, but it is a very wide opening.

By the way, is the new paint colour the yellow or are you just preparing to paint?

• misecretary
    4 years ago

If you removed the couch from the dining room, the dining table could be moved towards the window. Then you wouldn't have both the dining room furniture and a chair from living room encroaching the entry way to the living area.

• gomarq
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We will be painting the room a grey with brown undertones. It is currently yellow.

• gomarq
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Elizabeth Minish Design - We can’t flip the sectional because it would block too much of the entry from the hall. But I like that idea for a future layout when we are ready to replace the sectional (maybe even with a non-sectional couch).