Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donna_b_818

Closet without door. Yay or nay?

Donna B
4 years ago

Just had a chat with a closet designer and apparently built-in closets without sliding doors are all the rage at the moment. Not walk-in closets, but just regular bedroom closets. He says the room will be bigger and it's similar to just having built-in shelving. All of his customers are going for the doorless-built in look. What do you guys think?

no doors
yes doors

Comments (23)

• User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Looks like a cheap hotel. Find another closet Consultant. Very trendy but why?

• njmomma
    4 years ago

Not a Pro.

I do not think it looks like cheap hotel. I think it looks very nice.

I also think if you can keep your closet looking that neat go for it.

I would not be able to do that and it would drive me insane to keep it so neat.

So, I guess I vote for the doors, but not sure if I would do mirror doors. Hope that helps.

• Donna B
    Original Author
    4 years ago

here is another pic. It's kind of cool?

• Denita
    4 years ago

Agree with njmomma about using doors, but I wouldn't use mirror doors at all. It is the rare person that can keep the closet pristine at all times so doors really come in handy when you don't have everything perfectly lined up by color and size and type.

I would use nice panel doors that slide to allow full access. This happens to be for two doors but for a larger opening you could go with 3 or 4 doors for easy access.

bypass doors - Google Search · More Info

• Denita
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

^I'm smiling a little bit. I like that pic you posted. It does look very nice. But it also reminds me of the homes built in the 1950s and 60s in my area with the built in closet below and storage above, Funny how things come back around again :)

• vinmarks
    4 years ago

No. The pictures are not realistic. Few people will keep their closet looking like the ones in the picture. Each hanging article of clothing is perfectly spaced. Everything is perfectly folded and there's hardly anything in the closet. Every article of clothing in the picture is either white, tan or gray.

• denkyem
    4 years ago

If you are a super tidy perfectionist who knows they'll keep it perfect, sure. For me: never! One of the primary purposes of my closet is to HIDE clutter. I agree about not loving the mirrored sliding doors though, I find that look a bit dated. I'd do either hinged or sliding cabinet doors.

• denkyem
    4 years ago

Actually we are working on a custom wardrobe design for a tricky space, and we might end up turning a small section of it into open shelving out of necessity-- but if we do, that will be exclusively for my husband to use. He can be trusted to keep something like that neat, I cannot!

• jmm1837
    4 years ago

I think that open closet image is pretty unrealistic: where are the rest of the clothes and shoes?

• Lars
    4 years ago

where are the rest of the clothes and shoes?

Hillary Farr got rid of them.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    4 years ago

No doors on the closet? You’ve got to be kidding me. How can I arrange mine like Fibber McGee?

Seriously though,I don’t believe I will jump on this trend.

• Donna B
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The closets were for my kids and I'd rather they hide their clothes, as you can imagine, it's not going to be the most organized closet. They prefer to roll their clothes into balls so we'd want that covered as much as possible.

• bpath
    4 years ago

The sample closets work only if all your wardrobe matches all your decor, and you have only 3 jackets, 3 pairs of slacks, and 3 dresses. A few blouses. Everything the same color. No Saturday sweatshirts, no run-to-the-store cardigans.

I have reach-in closets. They have doors. We are happy. Also, I hide Christmas and Birthday presents in there.

• Missi (4b IA)
    4 years ago

I'm planning to open my daughters closet up completely, to the ceiling, and the sides, and I'm not planning to put a door on it. The closet is kiddy corner from the bedroom door, you'd see it for a split second walking past her room, and only if you were directly looking into the bedroom. You'll see it when you're in the bedroom of course...but she's 16, who cares? I don't live in a magazine or Pinterest. My desire is to utilize the space I have in a small house, rather than having things *out*.

• aliceingardenland
    4 years ago

Here are some questions to consider. Are all of your clothes and shoes in the same color palette? Does the color palette clash with the room? Can you keep your closet this neat? Do you have pets that would enjoy napping with your clothing? Do you have another closet to keep things that are not pretty in? Personal choice for sure, but I need doors.

• aliceingardenland
    4 years ago

I see you posted this would be for your kids and they tend to roll their clothes up. Maybe you could do this and have them keep their clothing in baskets on the shelves. Depending on your kids, it may actually work since they won't have to open a door to put things away.

• User
    4 years ago

If you don't live in a photo shoot, put doors on the closet. I would love to have such a small and perfectly matched and arranged array of things. But, I don't. I bet that you don't, either, and that you never will. Nor, will I.

• A E
    4 years ago

I'm not sure what is up with the trendy open shelving, doors off, even in the kitchen, but they serve a purpose. As for the bedroom, I can understand wanting to remove the doors as I have 2 bedroom closet doors that are insanely problematic and make 1/2 the closet useless as they open in (like wth, right?) But I agree that unless they are super tidy, frankly, I feel they're an eyesore to leave open.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    4 years ago

Do you have pets that would enjoy napping with your clothing?

I had a cat that would manage to open the linen closet door (which was only the upper half of the wall) and get onto the shelves, even the very top one. I had to put a latch at the top of the door to keep her out of there!

I have too many unattractive (garden grubbies, athletic shoes) and oddly shaped things in my closet -- and I don't want to see them or anything else when I am not getting them out to use.

• redoredone
    4 years ago

Put doors on the closets!!! ANY kind of door is better than no door. Just because it's a current trend does not mean it's a good thing.

• User
    4 years ago

Oooops. I voted No before I read completely. I meant Keep the doors and No to removing them, hehe.

• GK Hamlin
    last year

Closet doors are a must for me. I want to be able to stuff everything into the closet, close the door and not have to see inside. When I look at real estate listings and the closets are doorless, it puts me off. Just one more thing I'd have to do if I bought that house, and with home prices as high as they are now, I don't want to have to spend money installing closet doors.