Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ann9bnapa

Honey Dijon - a new rose for me in 2020

Ann9BNCalif
3 years ago

Honey Dijon arrived a few months ago as a bare root from Regan. It's still in a pot but it's been growing very well, a continuous bloomer, and while I might get a touch of disease in early spring, it hasn't shown a single speck of mildew, blackspot, or bug attraction. I was interested in getting this rose after hearing a talk from Burling Leong at one of our rose society meetings a few years ago. She was discussing rose industry trends and mentioned how soft beige-toned roses were popular as wedding flowers. She said a flower grower specializing in weddings had a difficult time getting cuttings from Weeks because the rose had been discontinued for quite some time but eventually she hired someone to work with Weeks to re-start this rose.

In my short experience, Honey D has delighted me with its range of colors from mustardy yellow to soft beige/pink. I really like a rose where I can go outside and say "wow, I didn't expect that!" and this rose has done that for me. It's technically a grandiflora but produces some blooms on individual stems with the high centered form favored by exhibitors, but it also has the relaxed floribunda look when it blooms in clusters. The fragrance is consistent and moderate, even in my windy dry climate that often wrecks the scent of many of my fragrant roses. While I'm not a great fan of the sharper mustard tones, overall this has been an unexpectedly charming rose!

Ann

More pics...

Comments (20)

• Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Mustardy tones - some color versions can be much darker than this.

Lots of color variation and the form is quite ruffly!

More..

• Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wrapping up here are a few more...

Here's a very high-centered version

This rose lasts three-five days on the bush. I haven't cut it and brought it inside but I think it would work well as a cut flower.

Hope you liked my Honey D!

Ann

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    3 years ago

I love it! Strangely, I usually don't care for yellowish or high centered roses, but I'm nuts for this one. No two pictures are alike. I think it would be a good blender with lavender, purple, soft warm pink or deep pink. Even red. What do you have yours planted next to?

Ann9BNCalif thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Ann!!! Glorious!! Exceptional!!! Delightful!!! The blooms have the look of both Distant Drums and Koko Loco!! Those are breath-catchiingly gorgeous!!!! Thank you so much for sharing these photos!!!

Ann9BNCalif thanked rosecanadian
  • Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi flowers - Honey D is in a pot but next to Julie Andrews which is a deep pink with yellow undertones and looks fine. I agree that putting it next to pink and lavender roses would look great!

Carol - Thanks so much for your kind words. Glad you like the pics!

Ann

3 years ago

Ann, that sounds wonderful. Julie Andrews is another gorgeous rose I need.

• Glimmer of Hope (9b, inland SoCal)
    3 years ago

Oh my goodness, Ann! Those are just GORGEOUS!!!

Ann9BNCalif thanked Glimmer of Hope (9b, inland SoCal)
  • Rockridge Rose
    3 years ago

It’s a good one

Ann9BNCalif thanked Rockridge Rose
  • rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Rockridge - do you agree with Ann that Your lovely Honey Dijon has a medium, but delicious, fragrance?

Ann9BNCalif thanked rosecanadian
  • totoro z7b Md
    3 years ago

Really like the color variations on this one.

Ann9BNCalif thanked totoro z7b Md
  • Angela L (9b) FL
    3 years ago

I love the pictures shown here. My 2 Honey Dijon‘s should arrive tomorrow and I am so excited to get them potted up.

Ann9BNCalif thanked Angela L (9b) FL
  • susan9santabarbara
    3 years ago

I've loved Honey Dijon since I got it shortly after its release in 2004. It has always lived next to Hot Cocoa, which makes for a stunning color combo. As my HD got more elderly the past few years, I started looking for a replacement, but couldn't find one (pretty much out-of-commerce), but I was thrilled to get it from Regan this year. I think they started offering it last year, but I didn't make a Regan order last year and missed it. I think I got the last one from Regan when they opened up orders in Sept. Anyway, I'm thrilled that it is now available again. It's a great rose.

Ann9BNCalif thanked susan9santabarbara
  • Feiy (PNWZ8b/9a)
    3 years ago

It has my favorite color tone and has been in my wish list for a long time. Does anyone grow it on its own roots? Is it vigorous, disease resistant, rain resistant, or shade tolerant?

I'm hesitant because my yard is mostly part shade (4-6hr) and we do get loooots of rain from fall to spring. Seems only a few roses can put up with our climate after I spent lots of money and learned from experience.

Ann9BNCalif thanked Feiy (PNWZ8b/9a)
    3 years ago

Feiy Lo, mine is on it's own roots. Other than that, I don't have anything to report. I planted one last summer, and the other is overwintering in the garage. The one in the ground grew respectably and was healthy, but no blooms. Every one of Ann's photos makes me more anxious to see this rose grow and bloom. I think it is a good color to combine with brights and pales equally.

Ann, I hope you'll post more pics this year - and anyone else who grows Honey Dijon.

• Nippstress Nebraska z5
    3 years ago

If you're looking for this rose, Northland had it in stock (at least earlier this spring). Other people like me that have been frantically seeking this rose might have already sold it out, but it was posted for this year.

Cynthia

Ann9BNCalif thanked Nippstress Nebraska z5
  • Madison Post
    3 years ago

Would love to hear how you guys in colder climates do with Honey Dijon. DEFINITELY on my wishlist as long as it can fare cold winters okay

Ann9BNCalif thanked Madison Post
  • Angela L (9b) FL
    3 years ago

Angel Gardens had it this month.

• Angela L (9b) FL
    3 years ago

This is a what I found on helpmefind.com

Grandiflora.
    Tan. Mild to strong, fruity fragrance. 26 to 40 petals. Average diameter 4.25". Medium to large, full (26-40 petals), in small clusters, formal bloom form. Blooms in flushes throughout the season.
    Medium, bushy, upright. Medium, glossy, dark green foliage.
    Height of 5' (150 cm).
    USDA zone 6b through 9b (default). Can be used for garden, hedge or shrub. Very vigorous. Protect tender new spring growth from hard freezes that may cause canker, die-back and death of the plant. . Remove spent blooms to encourage re-bloom. Spring Pruning: Remove old canes and dead or diseased wood and cut back canes that cross. In warmer climates, cut back the remaining canes by about one-third. In colder areas, you'll probably find you'll have to prune a little more than that. Remove old canes and dead or diseased wood..
    Lasting novel color, good vigor, classic form.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    3 years ago

Honey Dijon is a Jim Sproul rose. Jim is up in northern California. Honey does have "babies," or descendants. If you are looking for a rose with that brown coloring, Burling used Honey Dijon as a parent in her Connie's Sandstorm rose. It is a very pretty and healthy rose. I am growing it for the first time this year but don't have any flowers yet to show you. Here is a picture on the HMF page. https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.325577

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert