rfharmon

Maximo Large Format Tile Pattern Help

rfharmon

Hello,

We are putting the finishing touches on our master bathroom and are left with one major decision.... how to install the large format tile we bought on our walls.

This is the tile (we purchased a grout that will blend well with the tile to make it loo more uniform):

And it will be installed on both walls of the shower and along the entire wall that extends to where the bathtub is located (right bolded wall in diagram below):

People have given us several ideas of what to do, but we really just aren't sure what will look best:

Option 1: Stacked vertically (pro is that you will only have two tiles stacked vertically and thus only one horizontal grout lines, cons are that you will have one single grout line along the wall):

Option 2: Staggered 33% (this is what the box recommends and it does appear to best allow the tile to tell its story, con: more grout lines)

Option 3 Stacked horizontally (pros: compact design with minimal grout lines, cons: feels a bit devoid of inspiration):

Broadbeach Waters Lux Town Houses · More Info

The Cook's Kitchen

What is the dimension of the tile?

Beth H. :

option number 3.

How big is your shower that you think you're going to have all these grout lines??? these tiles are what? 24" ?

if the tiles are gauged, you can prob do 1/16 joint.

if grout lines are that much of a prob for you, then you should have gotten the 4' panels.

make sure whom ever is installing these tiles knows how to adequately layout this pattern.

In fact, do a dry layout on the floor w/them first.

here are some diff layouts

Mixing subway tile and porcelin large format tile

My instinct tells me if it is a small space that using the same tile on both the floor and in the shower would give a more cohesive look. Lots of variation in a small space can tend give a room a "fractured" look as in the photo (although what you are using would be less frenetic than the photo attached)

Looking to find similar large format tile as pictured

Hi Look for a dealer on the manufacturers site. I've seen several new oversized tiles lately at my showrooms. They do look gorgeous up. Best of luck ! KHB Interiors in New Orleans Please do me a huge favor and follow us on Houzz! https://www.houzz.com/khbinteriors

large format porcelain countertops

Hi our company actually specializes in large format porcelain slabs. The durability of porcelain is great compared to other countertop materials. It is also stain resistant, heat resistant, scratch resistant, and resists harsh chemicals. I highly recommend to anyone to get porcelain countertops, you won't regret it! We have had so many satisfied customers. They also come in polished, natural, and matte textures with a variety of natural looking slab prints.

Extra large format tile vs quartz for bathroom walls?

Corian and other Solid Surface products come in a large range of colors, patterns, and even in subway tile-like sheets. Check out Corian and Swanstone showers before you make your decision. HB's post on Dec 3 2016 in this thread shows their Swanstone shower in the color Ice. Click on the photos to see the whole thing. Kohler Choreograph? thread in Bathrooms forum. They had done their other tub/shower with Choreograph, so were posting on this thread and we got to see their Swanstone shower, too. It turns out that Choreograph is not solid surface and neither is the new product that Kohler has made to replace it. A solid surface shower is made with 1/4" to 1/2" sheets of material that have color through-and-through. That makes them a solid surface and makes them repairable in case they ever get scratched or scuffed. Seams can be at the corners only (depending on shower size) and most solid surface companies use cove moldings in the corners to cover the caulk lines. You only see caulk where the walls meet the pan. You can also get 96" tall sheets. My shower is by Transolid, also a solid surface company. Mine was a special size for a handicapped ADA shower, so I have a standard height shower with a wall extension kit and molding between the upper and lower walls, but with other showers you would not need that to go all the way to the ceiling.
  • rfharmon

The Cook's Kitchen, the tile is 24 x 48.

IMo when using these large tiles you need a master tiler these are notDIY and I think look best stacked horizontally but because they are alo a big statemet the layour needs to be so that the veining is not all over the place . It is hard to lay these out anywhere but I would try to get a feel for the pattern. I certainly do not find horiznatl stacking devoid of inspiration IMO the tile is the star and you do what looks best with that tile but IMO no stagger

• JuneKnow

You’s better have the most qualified and most expensive CTI tile pro in town doing this. He needs a specialty expensive saw to handle those, plus other specialty tools. Or you’re going to get big time lippage. Which is why you want to do a stacked bond layout. Horizontal. Vertical with one seam at chest high is just a bad layout.

https://www.ceramictilefoundation.org/find-certified-tile-installers

• rfharmon

@Patricia Colwell Consulting and @JuneKnow ... As usual, thanks for jumping in and giving your thoughts. We do have a very talented tiler and we plan to lay everything out on the floor before we install a single tile.

Two questions:

1. How do you feel about putting this tile on the ceiling of the shower? We originally planned to match the floor of the showers, but are now going with a darker tile on the floor that matches the floors in the rest of the room. Our tiler said he feels comfortable with it, but I have seen other posts where people have concerns about placing such a larger tile over their heads. This picure is a good idea of what the full height would look like:

Sherman Oaks Home Remodel - Master Bathroom · More Info

2. What are your thoughts on extending the tile around the room until you get to the vanity area. This would mean tiling the window wall and the wall behind the toilet. We've toyed with this idea, but backed away over concerns that it would simply be too much to have tile on every surface on the room (except the ceiling). If you do like the tile extending, would you want it to extend full height or would your bring it down and wainscot it. The below picture is a good idea of what this would look like:

Downstairs Master [Final Designs] · More Info

• et phonehome

I agree with stacking it horizontally, I think it will look great! As for your other questions, I don't think you need to put time on the ceiling of the shower. If you are concerned you can get a special paint for the room for wet areas I believe. If it were me I would tile the entire wall behind the shower and tub. Then the short wall of the shower until the door. And the the entire wall behind the vanity and toilet. I would NOT tile the wall with the window and the short wall between the door and the vanity. This should give you some breathing room while still making a statement

rfharmon thanked et phonehome
  • rfharmon

@et phonehome. What an interesting idea. I hadn't thought about that. We are using white subway tile behind the vanity. So would you extend that tile behind the toilet... or would you bring the large format Maximo tile over to the other side of the room?

• et phonehome

I would not use the white subway tile - no need to add another material to the space. Just extend the large format tile

• rfharmon

@et phonehome ... just to be clear, are you saying you wouldn't use the subway tile behind the vanity at all, or just that you wouldn't extend it over to the toilet?

• et phonehome

I would not use the white subway at all

• et phonehome

In my opinion (especially in a small space) it's best to choose fewer materials. So one wall tile, one floor tile, and if necessary one shower floor tile. More than that and it gets muddled

• Jennifer Svensson

Agree with above, use the same tile throughout. I’d stack it horizontally. I think vertically is nice too, but you’d need more height IMO. Best of luck.

• rfharmon

@etphonehome, cool name!

a friend of mine came over and also suggested using the same tile throughout but threw me a weird curve ball.... they also tile the height of all of the walls (stoping at the ceiling)! I was immediately overwhelmed by the idea but I would love to hear your thoughts.

• rfharmon

Does anyone have pictures of 2 walls tiled and the middle wall empty, as suggested above? I’ve searched on houzz for design inspiration but I’m drawing a blank.

No subway tile with that tile the subway will look cheap just use the same tile everywhere

• RedRyder

Doing the ceiling feels like overkill.

• et phonehome

Stopping at the ceiling, not tiling the ceiling I believe :)

I think tiling up to the ceiling would be nicest. If you need to save money you could drop the height of the tile around the tub and the toilet. But I personally think it would look cleaner to do the whole wall on both sides.

• rfharmon

I’m so glad y’all told me to be careful of the tilers! After he cut 3 tiles, I made him stop. The edging looked so bad!

• rfharmon

I found 3 design inspiration pictures but can’t seem to choose between the 3. Im so afraid to make another mistake so I would love to hear your thoughts. Hoping for timeless and airy. Unfortunately, I already have concept grey tiles installed on the floor.

Streamline House · More Info

• rfharmon

heres is a picture of my current bathroom:

• et phonehome

What exactly is your question right now? What are you choosing between the 3?

• rfharmon

et phonehome, please excuse my lack of clarity. So many decisions in a taut window has me overwhelmed and less clear (and more needy) than usual.

I am trying to decide if one of the designs is more appealing than the others and/or if one of the styles would look better in the shape/size of my bathroom.

• et phonehome

That's OK! It's hard especially if you've never done remodeling before. I'm just confused because you already picked out the tiles. Not sure if you picked anything else yet or not.

• rfharmon

@et phonehome thanks for your compassion and understanding!

Yes, we did pick out this tile, but since this is our master bathroom and we’ve already made so many other mistake, we want to get this one right. The jagged edges on that tile look scary to me. The tiler said he had a 48” tile saw but the mere fact that he already cut 3 tiles without it is still scary. So, if that means returning the larger format tile and starting over with the wall design to ensure quality, we’d be okay with that.

To be honest, the large tile has been giving me anxiety for a while since it’s so trendy and this is finally the thing that tipped my husband over to my side.

• roarah

Return the tiler not the tile...

• Jennifer Svensson

Our large porcelain tile was cut perfectly. Need good people and good saw. Don’t give up on your design.

• felizlady

If the grout matches the background color of your tile, the grout line will be hardly noticeable.
    You will not be able to match the veining. I hope you will be using a professional tile installer because he/she will hopefully have the experience to come up with a pleasing layout.

• rfharmon

@Jennifer Svensson, since you have the large format tiles would you be so kind to tell me where you see the logically stopping points (#of walls tiles, height of the tiles, etc) for the tile and/or show me a picture of this tile in your space. I’ve never seen a complete bathroom bathroom.

• et phonehome

I love large format tile because it means less grout which means it's easier to keep clean. Just thought I'd throw that in there. Keep in mind that if you stop tile in the middle of a wall then you have to "deal with" the edge. That means deciding how you are going to cover up the edge because even if the tile is cut perfectly you don't really want to see the edge. Most of the time you can use a piece of metal (that can be any color) to give it a more finished look. That said, I always recommend putting tile in a place where it will end naturally. Like at the end of a wall because then you can't see the edge. Same with tiling up to a door or a window. Hope that helps!

And, as others have said, ceramic tile is one of the most common tiles used in residential bathrooms. There is no reason to return because of the way it was cut. I imagine that has more to do with person / tool doing the cutting

rfharmon thanked et phonehome
  • rfharmon

This is immensely helpful! Thank you! I’ll start with my guy using the better saw (which he should have used the 1st time!

• rfharmon

Update: our tilers came through with a massive wet saw today and laid the large tiles correctly. Per your suggestion, we won’t tile the ceilings and will tile both paralleling walls. Many thanks for everyone who helped qualm my anxiety and pushed me to keep the tile that i wanted!

Here’s some progress pictures:

• rfharmon

I have one more question. Do folks have a preference for a white quartz bench seat (matching the counter top) or a tiled seat? Here’s pictures of both options.

• et phonehome

Ideally I think it's best to use the material you picked out for the counter for the shower seat. I am not a big fan of tiled seats in showers because it's more prone to water issues down the road. The less places water can get into the better! Sometimes it works out for tile to be the most practical though (like the bathroom renovation I recently worked on where there wasn't enough counter material left for the bench seat. We used tile and it's fine)

rfharmon thanked et phonehome
  • rfharmon

White quatz it is, thanks @etphonehome!!!

• rfharmon

Most definitely! I sincerely appreciate all of your support!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!

• rfharmon

Thank you to everyone for your amazing feedback and helping us get through our design block and fear. The tile is up on the back wall and it looks great. The counters are in as well, and now the tile will go up on the backsplash behind the mirrors.

We decided to go with hanging pendant vanity lights, because we like the elegance of the look. We are now deciding on mirrors. My husband really wants us to have a single large smart mirror that has LED light, anti-fog, weather and bluetooth music. I am not sure if that is the right look for this bathroom, and think it would be preferable to go with two individual mirrors with metal trim, rather than one large mirror. I am also thinking that with that look it might be a good idea to add a third pendant in the middle.

Would love everyone's thoughts as you have helped us get this far!

Here is how it currently looks (I put the tiles up so you can see how it will look with the tile backsplash):

These are the pendants we chose (as you can see from the picture, they will hang just outside the sink on either side of the vanity):

Effimero 1-Light Stem Hung Pendant Lamp, Frosted, Small, Black · More Info

And, here are some of our favorite looks from our ideabook:

Single metal mirror with two pendants:

Two mirrors, but adding a third pendant:

LED mirror option:

• et phonehome

With pendants I like having two separate mirrors and having 3 pendants, especially since it seems that your pendants are in the smaller side. And I agree that having mirrors with pretty trim looks nicer.... But if your husband really wants the functionality of the led light mirrors then maybe you should do that to make him happy. I don't know how your relationship works regarding decorating. Personally I make all our indoor decisions (I show my husband everything, and he usually just nods his head... Sometimes I wonder if he's paying attention because it's just not his thing ;) ) so if he ever makes a request I bend over backwards to accommodate him because it's so rare. But maybe your husband is more involved and isn't quite as attached to this idea as I'm imagining. You could possibly compromise by getting two led mirrors. In my opinion we have our phones to check the weather and play music if we want it in the bathroom. I'm not sure why we need it in the mirror. But that's just me

• et phonehome

One more thought, since you are already planning on pendants if you put in recessed lights you won't have a need for the led light in the mirror.

Also, I stayed in a hotel a few years ago that had one of the led lights and it was really hard for me to see properly to put on my make up (I don't wear a lot of make up and I was in my twenties - it wasn't my eyes!) I know that there are people who love these mirrors but make sure you are one of them before buying one

rfharmon thanked et phonehome
  • rfharmon

@etphonehome, we ditched the led mirrors for this bathroom. I appreciate your candor! Now I have 3 pendants lights on the ceiling.

You mentioned recessed lights, I have saw a few bathrooms on Houzz with this look. I'm wondering if this is a preference of yours for my space?

• seosmp

Quick question - can you provide the exact tile you are using - and where you got it from? Thanks!

• et phonehome

I think that recessed lights provide good ambient light while not making much of a design statement. Then you have the pendants for the design aspect and side lighting which is important in a bathroom. I think the combination is the ideal situation

• rfharmon

@etphonehome, that makes sense. We have this center of the bathroom overhead light in this bathroom, so ambient lighting should be efficient? It has 1600 lumens and changes to 50,000 colors... I would have loved a chandelier but the bathroom is on 7'6" tall.

• rfharmon

@etphonehome, it just dawned on me the 2 of the bathrooms that we discussed have the grey floor tiling running up the wall. Just wondering if that changes your mind about leaving the center wall blank.

• et phonehome

It sounds like that might be enough light but I'm no lighting expert so maybe someone else can chime in on that (or if the lights are already installed you can see for yourself).

I don't remember what tile you have in the floor in there. I tried to look at the earlier posts but I'm a little confused which is inspiration and which is your bathroom. If it's a grey tile then you can most likely put it on that wall but it isn't necessary and would be more money. But it would probably be nice so I would just say that it's whatever you like. If you'll always look at that wall and wish that you had tiled it then do it. If it were me I would probably want to save the money since it's kind of an expensive extra (in my eyes) but it's up to you

rfharmon thanked et phonehome