rfharmon

Maximo Large Format Tile Pattern Help

rfharmon

Hello,

We are putting the finishing touches on our master bathroom and are left with one major decision.... how to install the large format tile we bought on our walls.

This is the tile (we purchased a grout that will blend well with the tile to make it loo more uniform):

And it will be installed on both walls of the shower and along the entire wall that extends to where the bathtub is located (right bolded wall in diagram below):

People have given us several ideas of what to do, but we really just aren't sure what will look best:

Option 1: Stacked vertically (pro is that you will only have two tiles stacked vertically and thus only one horizontal grout lines, cons are that you will have one single grout line along the wall):

Option 2: Staggered 33% (this is what the box recommends and it does appear to best allow the tile to tell its story, con: more grout lines)

Option 3 Stacked horizontally (pros: compact design with minimal grout lines, cons: feels a bit devoid of inspiration):

Broadbeach Waters Lux Town Houses · More Info

• rfharmon

@et phonehome thanks for your compassion and understanding!

Yes, we did pick out this tile, but since this is our master bathroom and we’ve already made so many other mistake, we want to get this one right. The jagged edges on that tile look scary to me. The tiler said he had a 48” tile saw but the mere fact that he already cut 3 tiles without it is still scary. So, if that means returning the larger format tile and starting over with the wall design to ensure quality, we’d be okay with that.

To be honest, the large tile has been giving me anxiety for a while since it’s so trendy and this is finally the thing that tipped my husband over to my side.

• roarah

Return the tiler not the tile...

large format wall tile for shower

Thank you for the technical recommendations. Vetting contractors is something we've been doing. We've even gotten recommendations from folks in the trade and the City....and with all that care still had our fair share of disappointments where the contractor did what he was supposed to do by the letter, but not by the intent i.e. using non-galvanized screws in a redwood community fence between properties...which bleed black stain below and look awful only a few months after being put up. So we've been fixing all those screw ups since the work was done outside last year so we've already been well - burned Knowing the more technical issues helps us ask better questions and we like knowing what to expect. So thank you to Creative Tile and Brickwood Builders for sharing your knowledge. In our case the only place that sells this brand, which is not porcelanosa, is fairly useless. They focus more on the design than the technical and leave it to the contractor. The shower is 6' along the back with two 5' sides and 8' tall ceiling. Since it's 4' tall if we use this vertically it will go floor to ceiling possibly without much or any cut and it would be perfect along the 6' wall. But on the 5' side we would have to cut along the 4' edge (not across the 2') and hoping that we can hide the cut side into the corners. The micro-bevel edge is a concern. So is whether the tile is rectified. We are worried about chipping. The tile places answer to that was have the 'guy use a new diamond blade and go slow'.... More of a concern is who will have a cutter that can handle a 4' tile. One idea our friends mentioned is to call a stone fabricator...can't imagine what that would cost to cut a couple of tiles. But again thank you all for the technical and general contract/liability concerns. We are gathering names and making appointments. If there are more technical thoughts on what to ask the contractor in terms of how they manage and cut such a large tile we're all ears! Thank you all again. J.

Bath tile: large format porcelain vs. engineered quartz slabs?

Yes porcelain for a stone look. But for my application I needed full slabs. I wanted no grout lines so the standard single finish 12x12 or 12x24 or 60x126cm polished tiles weren't gonna cut it, (sorry Magnifica fans). Marvel Atlas Concorde is manufactured in Italy (I gather Magnifica is as well) and of the highest quality. Their Statuario Select and Calacatta are available in full size floor to ceiling porcelain slabs, and in many different finishes. I chose multiple 120x278 cm - 47 1/4”x109 1/2” slabs. The walls are polished finish and the floor is matte non-slip in the shower. It creates a seamless look with almost zero maintenance ( we just use is a squeegee). If you are going to think about aging in place you may want to plan ahead to avoid stooping or reaching to scrub tile and grout lines. We went this direction because the previous owners thought it was fun to use 4 inch tiles to cover a huge shower and the vanity top. The experience at the tile and stone store was the same as picking out real marble slabs. We actually had to convince the workers that the slabs were indeed different and they had to lay them out for us to choose. We counted up to 8 different patterns before we find a similar one.

large format porcelain countertops

Hi our company actually specializes in large format porcelain slabs. The durability of porcelain is great compared to other countertop materials. It is also stain resistant, heat resistant, scratch resistant, and resists harsh chemicals. I highly recommend to anyone to get porcelain countertops, you won't regret it! We have had so many satisfied customers. They also come in polished, natural, and matte textures with a variety of natural looking slab prints.

Large format tiles small bath

These tiles are from lowes style selections Calcutta white. The smaller subway tiles are menards titus hills calcutta These below are calcutta from lowes 12 x 12 with a 3 x 12 i think calcutta from home depot. Not in love with the pattern/printing of the 3 x 12s. Then i have these samples Below. These are futura white from lowes 12 x 12, and by the tub they are the statuary white tiles from lowes. Below, these from home depot that im not sure i like the 12 x 24s these were glossy as all others have been matte. The ones towards the front are carrara, and the bottom 3 on diagonal are calcutta. These below are real marble tiles. Below are from menards titus hills calcutta 12x 24 and 4 x 8. I like these and the lowes calcutta and statuary the best. The look i like is this
  • Jennifer Svensson

Our large porcelain tile was cut perfectly. Need good people and good saw. Don’t give up on your design.

• felizlady

If the grout matches the background color of your tile, the grout line will be hardly noticeable.
    You will not be able to match the veining. I hope you will be using a professional tile installer because he/she will hopefully have the experience to come up with a pleasing layout.

• rfharmon

@Jennifer Svensson, since you have the large format tiles would you be so kind to tell me where you see the logically stopping points (#of walls tiles, height of the tiles, etc) for the tile and/or show me a picture of this tile in your space. I’ve never seen a complete bathroom bathroom.

• et phonehome

I love large format tile because it means less grout which means it's easier to keep clean. Just thought I'd throw that in there. Keep in mind that if you stop tile in the middle of a wall then you have to "deal with" the edge. That means deciding how you are going to cover up the edge because even if the tile is cut perfectly you don't really want to see the edge. Most of the time you can use a piece of metal (that can be any color) to give it a more finished look. That said, I always recommend putting tile in a place where it will end naturally. Like at the end of a wall because then you can't see the edge. Same with tiling up to a door or a window. Hope that helps!

And, as others have said, ceramic tile is one of the most common tiles used in residential bathrooms. There is no reason to return because of the way it was cut. I imagine that has more to do with person / tool doing the cutting

rfharmon thanked et phonehome
  • rfharmon

This is immensely helpful! Thank you! I’ll start with my guy using the better saw (which he should have used the 1st time!

• rfharmon

Update: our tilers came through with a massive wet saw today and laid the large tiles correctly. Per your suggestion, we won’t tile the ceilings and will tile both paralleling walls. Many thanks for everyone who helped qualm my anxiety and pushed me to keep the tile that i wanted!

Here’s some progress pictures:

• rfharmon

I have one more question. Do folks have a preference for a white quartz bench seat (matching the counter top) or a tiled seat? Here’s pictures of both options.

• et phonehome

Ideally I think it's best to use the material you picked out for the counter for the shower seat. I am not a big fan of tiled seats in showers because it's more prone to water issues down the road. The less places water can get into the better! Sometimes it works out for tile to be the most practical though (like the bathroom renovation I recently worked on where there wasn't enough counter material left for the bench seat. We used tile and it's fine)

rfharmon thanked et phonehome
  • rfharmon

White quatz it is, thanks @etphonehome!!!

• et phonehome

Post some pictures when it's done :)

rfharmon thanked et phonehome
  • rfharmon

Most definitely! I sincerely appreciate all of your support!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!

• rfharmon

Thank you to everyone for your amazing feedback and helping us get through our design block and fear. The tile is up on the back wall and it looks great. The counters are in as well, and now the tile will go up on the backsplash behind the mirrors.

We decided to go with hanging pendant vanity lights, because we like the elegance of the look. We are now deciding on mirrors. My husband really wants us to have a single large smart mirror that has LED light, anti-fog, weather and bluetooth music. I am not sure if that is the right look for this bathroom, and think it would be preferable to go with two individual mirrors with metal trim, rather than one large mirror. I am also thinking that with that look it might be a good idea to add a third pendant in the middle.

Would love everyone's thoughts as you have helped us get this far!

Here is how it currently looks (I put the tiles up so you can see how it will look with the tile backsplash):

These are the pendants we chose (as you can see from the picture, they will hang just outside the sink on either side of the vanity):

Effimero 1-Light Stem Hung Pendant Lamp, Frosted, Small, Black · More Info

And, here are some of our favorite looks from our ideabook:

Single metal mirror with two pendants:

Two mirrors, but adding a third pendant:

LED mirror option:

• et phonehome

With pendants I like having two separate mirrors and having 3 pendants, especially since it seems that your pendants are in the smaller side. And I agree that having mirrors with pretty trim looks nicer.... But if your husband really wants the functionality of the led light mirrors then maybe you should do that to make him happy. I don't know how your relationship works regarding decorating. Personally I make all our indoor decisions (I show my husband everything, and he usually just nods his head... Sometimes I wonder if he's paying attention because it's just not his thing ;) ) so if he ever makes a request I bend over backwards to accommodate him because it's so rare. But maybe your husband is more involved and isn't quite as attached to this idea as I'm imagining. You could possibly compromise by getting two led mirrors. In my opinion we have our phones to check the weather and play music if we want it in the bathroom. I'm not sure why we need it in the mirror. But that's just me

• et phonehome

One more thought, since you are already planning on pendants if you put in recessed lights you won't have a need for the led light in the mirror.

Also, I stayed in a hotel a few years ago that had one of the led lights and it was really hard for me to see properly to put on my make up (I don't wear a lot of make up and I was in my twenties - it wasn't my eyes!) I know that there are people who love these mirrors but make sure you are one of them before buying one

rfharmon thanked et phonehome
  • rfharmon

@etphonehome, we ditched the led mirrors for this bathroom. I appreciate your candor! Now I have 3 pendants lights on the ceiling.

You mentioned recessed lights, I have saw a few bathrooms on Houzz with this look. I'm wondering if this is a preference of yours for my space?

• seosmp

Quick question - can you provide the exact tile you are using - and where you got it from? Thanks!

• et phonehome

I think that recessed lights provide good ambient light while not making much of a design statement. Then you have the pendants for the design aspect and side lighting which is important in a bathroom. I think the combination is the ideal situation

• rfharmon

@etphonehome, that makes sense. We have this center of the bathroom overhead light in this bathroom, so ambient lighting should be efficient? It has 1600 lumens and changes to 50,000 colors... I would have loved a chandelier but the bathroom is on 7'6" tall.

• rfharmon

@etphonehome, it just dawned on me the 2 of the bathrooms that we discussed have the grey floor tiling running up the wall. Just wondering if that changes your mind about leaving the center wall blank.

• et phonehome

It sounds like that might be enough light but I'm no lighting expert so maybe someone else can chime in on that (or if the lights are already installed you can see for yourself).

I don't remember what tile you have in the floor in there. I tried to look at the earlier posts but I'm a little confused which is inspiration and which is your bathroom. If it's a grey tile then you can most likely put it on that wall but it isn't necessary and would be more money. But it would probably be nice so I would just say that it's whatever you like. If you'll always look at that wall and wish that you had tiled it then do it. If it were me I would probably want to save the money since it's kind of an expensive extra (in my eyes) but it's up to you

rfharmon thanked et phonehome
  • rfharmon

Hey guys, same bathroom, new question, are you all fans of me adding 2 or 3 white oak shelves inside of this bathroom above the (invisible) tankless smart toilet? To note, my counter is white, my finishes will be black, the ceilings are 7’4”, and the wall tile has not been grouted yet but I will grout it in avalanche (i.e. White).

• et phonehome

Is there any wood in the bathroom anywhere else?

• rfharmon

There are no permanent wood features in this bathroom but I bought a wood lazy Susan for the counter and planned to add either a wood stool or wood bathtub caddy for accents. BUT, if I didn't think there was a chance that I was making a mistake by adding wood shelves, I wouldn't be asking for your opinion so please share your thoughts.

Here is a better picture of my bathroom (missing: pure white wall paint, rectangular black mirror, black towel rack, and a matte white freestanding bathtub)

and my design inspiration pictures for the tub caddy and the wood bathroom bench.

• et phonehome

I think it would be nice if it's not the only wood element in the room. But maybe someone else wants to weigh in on whether it would possibly make the room a little dated in the future. So far everything you picked is very classic and probably will never go out of style. This might be leaning a little trendy.... But maybe you're OK with that or maybe I'm reading too much into this :)

rfharmon thanked et phonehome
  • rfharmon

You just called my selections classics and made my heart melt, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• et phonehome

Lol!

• graciepunkin

I was so happy to find your post! We're remodel twins! Your post helped me get over some of the second guessing I'm having on my selections. We're having this same tile installed in our master bath remodel which is underway now. The tile goes in next week. We're having it installed using a 1/3 staggered pattern which will be floor to ceiling on all walls and the shower walls. We will have similar style vanities as yours and also white quartz countertops. It's great to see your pictures to get a better visual of our plans. I love everything you've done and hope to see more pictures soon!

I do have a few questions if you don't mind....what grout color are you using? We're hoping to match as closely to the tile color as possible. How did you handle the exposed tile edges-did you do a pencil liner or something else? What is the color name of your white quartz? Your picture with the quartz next to the tile looks great. I need to choose soon and was afraid anything too bright white wouldn't blend well with the tile.

Yikes, sorry for all the questions and thanks for any input you care to provide! I'd also appreciate any other feedback you think would be helpful as well.

• rfharmon

Hi Gracie, best wishes with your tile installation! I brought 4-5 different samples of white quartz to my home before selecting my quartz. Always ask me your questions!

I think this is an important step because the tile itself pulls off-white so white quartz that pulls blue or is stark white will clash with the tile. I bought Design Studio Just White quartz because it was a jumbo slab that I needed for my kitchen and it did not clash with the cabinets or this bathroom tile. You can find it here: https://www.designstoneusa.com/essential-series/just-white/. MSI and Daltile also have white quartz that work, just stay away from the tile with the big flake in it it- it looks cheap and has too much personality for this modern tile.

Also, I used the quartz in the shower niche and on my shower bench. It was a nice finishing touch!

Just wondering, what tile did you choose for you bathroom and shower floors?

• RedRyder

Regarding the wood shelves: I think they’re a great idea if you add one or two more wood accessories. A wood garbage can? A teak bench? So far, this bathroom is fabulous. I hope you’re loving it because it sure looks like what you said you wanted!

• graciepunkin

Thanks rfharmon for the quartz info! I'll check it out. We're going with a 12x24 light gray concrete-look porcelain tile on the floor and a concrete-look penny tile for the shower floor. What did you use? I'd love to see pictures!

We're also going with white quartz for the bench and also the shower curb. We have two separate vanities so I'm hoping we have enough left from one slab. My plan as of now is to use the same Maximo tile for the shower niche.

Do you have any exposed tile edges? We'll have a couple of outside corners that will have the edges exposed and I'm torn on if I want a liner or if I should go another route.

• rfharmon

We used concept grey 12x24 tiles on the floors and the 1” concept grey hexagons in our shower floor. Both can be found on the floor and decor website.

we used white metal trim on our corners. It looks nice but silver looked better, in the floor and decor Demo (see picture). We were supposed to use silver but someone made a mistake. silver won’t be an option for you tho, since your going with warmer (brown) floor and shower tile unless you are using silver finishes. I’m using black faucets, etc. So, maybe, try white trim? they sell 5/16 tile trim (the size that you will need for this tile) at Home Depot, Lowes, and Floor and decor.

Clarification, the back is my shower niche is this tile, the shelves around surround is Quartz.

my only concern/ about your design is using this glossy tile for your shower landing. I thought and still think having 3 different horizontal floors (shower, landing, and bathroom floor) was too busy.

I’ll try to post pictures of my finished bathroom soon. My house is currently being painted so everything is taped up.

• et phonehome

One other thought is that you want something with some texture for a bathroom floor so it will be less slippery. A glossy tile might be slippery

• graciepunkin

Thank you both for the feedback. Just to clarify, the 12x24" concrete look tiles are not glossy at all. Actually they have a good bit of texture. Same with the concrete look penny tile, it has a rougher texture and is rated for shower floors. Both flooring tiles are light gray instead of brown toned-the picture isn't great so I linked it below to show the gray color better.

https://www.flooranddecor.com/porcelain-tile/organic-resin-smoke-porcelain-tile-100195973.html#prefn1=productSubtype&prefv1=Floor+or+Wall+Tile&prefn2=shape&prefv2=Rectangle&prefn3=size&prefv3=12+x+24&sz=120&showBrand=true&start=1

Excellent point about the quartz shower landing! Especially having a white strip running alongside all gray flooring. I agree that would look rather busy and now I'm stumped. I'd rather have a single piece with no grout lines. Ideally, I would like a poured concrete look. Back to the drawing board on that.

Our contractor is also recommending the white metal Schluter trim which is what I think we'll do. I want it to blend closely to the tile instead of using a contrasting color like silver. In a perfect world the outside corners would be mitered but that is a no-go. I'd love to see a close up picture of your trim.

Forgot to mention, the water closet walls will not be tiled. I'll probably have those walls and all the ceilings painted to match the tile field background since there will already be a lot going on with all the tile.

We had a snafu with the vanity sizing and placement limitations once a wall was removed so now we're scrambling to get custom cabinets which will take several more weeks. The plan is to keep moving forward and we'll just have everything else finished except for the vanities and sinks. I've made so many changes in the past week, our contractor is probably ready to kill me!

• rfharmon

We used the large tile for our shower landing. It's only 6" by 36" wide so it worked perfectly with no grout lines. How big is your shower landing that you can't use this oversized tile? BTW, we used avalanche grout by Mapei for the large tile.

• rfharmon

Here is a picture of my shower niche with the quartz surround (covered in plastic, due to paint). The back is our oversized tile.

• graciepunkin

Beautiful shower wall and niche! I can't tell you how exciting is it to see your pictures. I've been so nervous about this tile and you've helped to put my mind at ease. I'd love to see a pic of your shower landing if you get a chance.

Our landing is probably close to the size as yours if we measure from the front of the shower to where the bench starts, so no, there wouldn't be grout lines with the large tile (honestly, we didn't even think to use the large tile but that may be a good option). We were planning to use the white quartz for the shower landing but I agree that's a lot of different surfaces in/near the shower. I would like to use something like our gray floor tile for the landing if it was available in a large format to avoid grout lines. Thanks for the input and the info on the grout color!

• rfharmon

This is not my picture. This is another bathroom from above but this example is very similar to what I saw at Floor and Decor, as an example with this tile-- Silver trim (which never of us will use :-) and our tile on the landing.

I added the quartz shower niche surround because someone on Houzz had our tile and it made the bathroom look more expensive and nice more thought-out. I got this shower quartz tile for $250 from a scrap yard but was willing to pay my original quartz fabricator $750 for it but they never delivered it. Point of reference for value to me-- in case you're considering this option.

I actually pain for a quartz shower landing to be cut out of my counter top material but did not use it.-- this is how bad of an idea that I think this is....

My fear of using this oversized tile is that it would look like a lazy design choice/c it is so big until I saw it installed at an expensive tile store and I knew immediately that it was a good choice. Also, the expensive tile/quartz stores also have a more expensive version of this tile (it is very similar quality). I think the worst thing that we can do is overly design a bathroom with this over sized tile, KISS. I've seen it overly designed (like the floor and decor, for example) and it just ages the bathroom unnecessarily and makes the tile look cheap to me.

I will try to take a picture of my bathroom ASAp but again, it is currently covered in plastic now due to painting.

• graciepunkin

Thank you for the visual. I know you must be excited to be so close to completion. We're a long way off but they did put up three tiles on the walls today and I love it. We were going to do a 1/3 staggered but now we're doing a 1/2 staggered. It works out much better with our wall sizes (an odd shaped room). I was worried about a zipper effect but the tiles are so large it doesn't give that vibe.

Turns out my shower landing is 58" long so I was way off (brain is mush from all these measurements) and the large tile will not be long enough. After speaking with the contractor, I may end up using the quartz on the landing since it will be on the shower bench and also the top of the shower half wall (will be a half wall above where the bench is). My concern was breaking up the all gray floors with a single strip of white quartz but I forgot the large format tile will be tiled up the shower curb sides (the curb side tile also connects to the bench side tile and the wall tile on the other end) so it may work but I'm still thinking it through. He recommended doing all three surfaces in the same quartz for consistency. I didn't even think about the top of the half wall because originally I was going to have that be a full back wall until I saw it framed up and it blocked too much of the room. Actually, the pic you posted above is making me reconsider taking the glass all the down to the bench on the back shower wall instead of the half wall. The only reason I didn't do that in the first place was I think I would feel a bit exposed, lol. UGH, so many decisions!

• rfharmon

Can anyone please give me their thoughts about my mirror sections? This is a 24”x36” rectangular mirror and a 30” round mirror. Does both need to be larger? do you prefer round or rectangular?

• graciepunkin

I think the rectangular mirror is perfect.

• et phonehome

I also like the rectangular one

• et phonehome

I would center the mirror between the lights even though it won't be center over the sinks

• rfharmon

@et phonehome, using which shaped mirror? Round or rectangular? also, I have a larger round mirror here For your review.

if you prefer rectangular shape, maybe I need a larger rectangle mirror too?

• et phonehome

I definitely like the rectangular one. I think the size is OK, you could go bigger (not too much) but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle to look for something just a little bigger. I love the way it's coming out!

rfharmon thanked et phonehome
  • rfharmon

Hey guys, I have another question about this bathroom. I'm struggling to decide the right height for the enclosed shower doors. I originally saw tile on the ceiling and a steam shower but that didn't happen although I have hardy board on this showering ceiling but now I can't help but think that these shower doors should go to the ceiling. Please help me decide.

My bathroom:

Example of bathroom w/glass to ceiling:

Example of bathroom with glass stopping before ceiling:

• graciepunkin

We just did the glass measurements a few days ago. Our ceiling is 96" high and our glass will be 80" high to allow for ventilation. The standard height 76" per the three glass companies that gave us estimates. Going up 4 more inches was just an additional $100.

Not sure if this is of interest to you, but I'm not having the silicone beading at any point where the stationary glass panels meet the shower curb, the bench, or the half wall base. That was important to me after a ton of research and seeing what others are doing with success to combat the mildew stains in the silicone. All three glass companies we spoke with were fine with it and said a lot of homeowners are now requesting this. However, our GC's glass company was going to require us to have the silicone beading at the bases and were told by our GC to find our own glass company so we did.

If by chance you are providing the shower door handle, you'll need to have it available when ordering/measuring. This is delaying the fabrication until it arrives (hopefully today). They explained the holes for the handles are made when the entire door panel is fabricated and they need the actual handle (not just the spec sheet). I assumed they just cut the holes on site but it doesn't work that way. I just wanted a specific handle that tied in with our cabinet hardware.