Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jahboswell

Does anyone own a Lacanche range?

Jo Boswell
3 years ago

I am very interested in Lacanche Ranges and would love to hear opinions, see pictures and generally get to know how you use your range and what helped you choose the hobs and ovens. Thank you!

Comments (24)

• megs1030
    3 years ago

There are TON of threads on the Houzz pages, just search for Lacanche in the search bar and you’ll be reading for days. Look for the threads labeled with numbers, you’ll find so much information. Some of it is dated, but you’ll get the jist.

When we were in the beginning stages of planning our kitchen remodel, we worked closely with Elisa in the NYC showroom to choose our configuration. She no longer works for the company but was super helpful in guiding us with what to choose. I think there is a woman named Eleanor there now, she worked closely with Elisa, I’d give them a call.

I’d first think about how you cook and what you need out of the burner configuration. Your cooking style is not going to change when your range is installed. Do you need a power burner (Classique) or would you prefer the French Top (Traditional)?

As for the hobs, I’d generally steer anyone away from the grill as they really should not be used indoors. The multi cooker is pretty cool, although I read a recent thread about cleaning it and the water takes a long time to boil. Plus, the warming cupboard then becomes storage, not useful as an actual warming cupboard. So that was out for us. We ultimately decided on the induction hob and could not be happier. It’s awesome. So easy to use (compared to other high end brands) and it makes boiling water, simmering lentils, soups and sauces, scrambling eggs a breeze.

Jo Boswell thanked megs1030
  • Jo Boswell
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is literally the first time I even found the discussions! I am new to Houzz and it is seriously cool. I'll just need to keep searching! I am looking at pictures and reading the comments below. Are there simply discussions without the pics?

Sry for my naivité!

• TwoBelles
    3 years ago

Hi Jahboswell, I would suggest you go to Google and enter "HOUZZ Lacanche reviews" and you will get tons of info! HTH!

Jo Boswell thanked TwoBelles
  • PRO
    Deck The Halls
    3 years ago

The positive reviews that go back years and year for the Lacanche was what originally sold me on buying my Cluny 1400.

• cheri127
    3 years ago

We love our Lacanche range. The ovens are perfect for baking bread because they don't vent! And the burners are wonderful.

• Jo Boswell
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Corie, could you share how you like your Cluny 1400? That is one I am very interested in. I am unable to visit a showroom (far away) and the oven size is quite a bit different than my range oven now and I am worried if it is difficult to get used to? Thank you for your input

• megs1030
    3 years ago

Hi @Jo Boswell, I also own the Cluny 1400. We love it. I’ve been able to fit everything, except my larger cookie sheets. But it looks like that’s more user error than oven size. I’m trying to figure it out, to be honest. I’ve baked sourdough, pizzas, 20lb turkey, baked loads of cookies in the ovens with no problem. I’ve used the warming cupboard to keep dinners warm, hold all my holiday sides while the meat is resting, etc. The warming cupboard can also be used to slow cook, make yogurt, proof bread, etc. I know it sounds like it’s too good to be true And that it really can’t be that simple, but I promise it is.

We have the Classique configuration and then an induction hob over the warming cupboard. We love the induction. Cannot say enough great things about it.

Jo Boswell thanked megs1030
  • Jo Boswell
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Megs, thank you so very much. I'm coming over for coffee and watching how you use your range! :) What size cookie sheets do you use now? I'll start looking!

• megs1030
    3 years ago

@Jo Boswell, I use 1/4 sheet pans... which is totally fine. Got a little annoying during the holiday season when my 10 year old insisted on baking about 13 different types of cookies. LOL. But we were fine. I did just order some 1/2 sheet pans now that Heather showed me how they fit.

• modernfairytale
    3 years ago

I currently have Viking double wall ovens and am getting ready to remodel. Looking at the Cluny 1400. Do any owners here have experience making pizza? IIf so, which oven/settings do you use? n my Viking we make very thin crust pizzas weekly on 13 x 18 sheet pans using the convection setting with great results.

• megs1030
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi @modernfairytale, we make pizza regularly and use the electric oven to bake the crust at 500 / 550.

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi Jo, I'm sorry I don't get on this site as often as I used to and I'm just now seeing your message. I've had my Cluny 1400 for over 5 years now and I absolutely love it!

I know that the oven size can be scary at first, especially if you have only ever used an American sized oven. I had an Aga for a few years while we lived in England, and even though it's ovens are even smaller than the Cluny's, I still struggled with the fear of not having enough oven space.

I highly recommend that you think about everything you cook and how much of your current oven size you actually use each time. For me, other than a couple of holidays and for parties, I generally never filled my old American size oven. I love the versatility of the Cluny ovens. Now, I can heat up just the one small oven for nightly meals or I can cook at different temperatures if I'm cooking something like Thanksgiving dinner. the bonus is the oven preheats faster too. I have a family of six and we often have friends over (pre pandemic) and I've never had any issues serving any size group with the Cluny 1400.

I also love the warming oven and I use it a lot more than I ever imagined when I ordered my Lacanche. For example on Thanksgiving, I will move my sides to the warming oven as they are done allowing for other dishes to go in the oven. The gas oven is reserved for the turkey. I also use the warming oven for slow cooking, proofing bread, making yogurt, drying herbs and fruits, keeping food hot for late arrivals, etc.

I did a lot of research on the Lacanche before I actually bought it and it has completely lived up to my expectations. It's a solid work machine and I would make the same decision again today if I had to get another range; although I don't have any intentions of getting rid of this one!

I hope this helps you feel more comfortable with you decision.

Edited to add information on ovens and range configuration -

I like having one gas and one electric oven (the electric is mostly used for baking or everyday cooking, think lasagna, etc. and the gas is great for keeping meat from drying out. In a pinch, I will use the gas for regular cooking; usually when my daughter is baking.

As for the range - Your Lacanche rep should be able to help you with the configuration. I have 4 -11,000BTU, 1-15,000BTU,1-18,000BTU and 1-5,000BTU burner. The 11,000 are used for everyday cooking. The 18,000 is great for boiling large pots of soup, potatoes, or pasta, it's also used for woking. The 15,000 is used mostly for searing meats and the 5,000 is a low simmer. I leave my portable French plate over the 15,000 and the 5,000 because I use these the least. The FP serves as a great surface to keep ingredients, etc. when not in use. I love the FP for melting chocolate, making delicate sauces such as hollandaise, melting butter, and keeping foods simmering or warm.

Jo Boswell thanked Deck The Halls
  • PRO
    Deck The Halls
    3 years ago

Hi Modernfairytale, I also make hand made pizza in my electric oven. I put it on 500 degrees and it gets nice and crispy. We make individual pizzas now instead of larger ones, that the only thing different with the Cluny 1400.

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    3 years ago

Megs1030, Those cookie sheets can be tricky, but once you get the hang of lifting them up a bit at the back, you should have no more issues! :)

• megs1030
    3 years ago

@Deck The Halls, do you know what brand your cookie sheets are? I am waiting on some Goldtouch from W&S, but I think they may be too wide to fit in the back...

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    3 years ago

Hi Megs1030, Mine are the William and Sonoma brand. I bought them back when I first got my range.

• modernfairytale
    3 years ago

Corie Hall, thanks for your reply. I learned so much on these forums and finally ordered my Cluny 1400 last week. For anyone considering a purchase be aware they are running 8 to 9 months out for delivery! The rest of my remodel will be complete but I think it will be worth the wait.

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    3 years ago

Monderfairytale, That is exciting, and it will be worth the wait! What color did you decide to go with?

• modernfairytale
    3 years ago

Corie Hall, I chose Chantilly. Still have a few days to change my mind though :)

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    3 years ago

That is a beautiful color. If I ever have a need to buy another Lacanche, Chantilly would definitely be at the top of my list! I hope you love your Lacanche when it arrives! Best Regards, Corie

• megs1030
    3 years ago

@Deck The Halls, is this what your 1/2 sheet pans look like when you try to fit them in your ovens? I squeezed them through the back, but it’s not sitting on the oven rack...

• HeatherInOR
    3 years ago

@megs1030 my Nordic Ware fits flat. Is your wire rack pushed all the way in so it’s flush against the back? Then the pan edge doesn’t have to slide/fit under the back of the rack as much.

• megs1030
    3 years ago

Hi @HeatherInOR! Thanks so much for the response, this is great! Yes, my oven rack was pushed all the way back. I’m going to order the Nordicware sheet pans. Good to know that you don’t have to push the rim of the sheet all the way through the back of the rack.