Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_johnson8633

Funky Exterior - pls help with curb appeal!

Jennifer Johnson
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We recently purchased this lovely 1958 ranch style home in Phoenix. We appreciate its unique quirky style, but something about its front exterior seems off to me. We intend to live here for 30+ years, can anyone suggest ways to update and improve its style? Our GC says we can easily remove some of soldier block wall currently acting as a planter on the left side. And my husband would love to remove the brown fireplace blocking the walkway to the carport on the right side. Heck, we could even remove the fireplace and block chimney in the center. This house has five wood fireplaces! Of course we don't want to waste money, but we are willing to invest to make it something we love and are proud of. Maybe all it needs is a new paint job. Thank you for your advice!

Comments (17)

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

We really need more photos- the one from the listing is pixelated . I hate the gabion wall- too rustic for the house, and the tan stucco amorphous outdoor fireplace seems oddly plunked like it belongs to a different house. The house itself has nice lines but I would want to see more photos. Do you like light and bright or dark and sultry mid century exteriors?

Jennifer Johnson thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    3 years ago

I would take inspiration from the mid-century modern ranch houses in Palm Springs, CA. Keep it light, use breeze blocks, and go with drought-resistant landscaping.

3 Palms - Midcentury Modern Curb Appeal · More Info

Alexander Estates 2716 · More Info

Alexander Estates II / A · More Info

Jennifer Johnson thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • Jennifer Johnson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We like light and bright. Upload more pics, hope they help.

What is breeze block?

• calidesign
    3 years ago

To me, the metal and rock wall is the worst part of the house. I'd remove that before anything else. If you want to retain a courtyard in your front, I would install a low wall that matches the block wall on the left, all the way to the fireplace. The fireplace can be painted or stuccoed the same color as the wall so it's a cohesive design. I wouldn't remove the outdoor fireplace until you've been in the home awhile and you are sure you won't use it.

Jennifer Johnson thanked calidesign
  • urchinsushi
    3 years ago

I think your house is fun! Yes you are right it has quirky appeal - a turtle door!? :) I think everyone is an agreement about removing the rock wall...could you recycle the stones in a meaningful way - maybe to define a new plant border in front of the house adjacent to the walkway with a beautiful specimen tree?
    There are so many elements of your home that need to be tied together somehow - a color palette? I definitely think you should consult a local designer to help, they would have to great suggestions to boost the curb appeal while retaining its charm. A worthwhile investment! Can’t wait to see the “after” pics!

Jennifer Johnson thanked urchinsushi
  • PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    3 years ago

here's some moew inspos for you and notice one is a houzz article you would probably be interested in

Jennifer Johnson thanked Lisa Caudill Designs
  • comelyhomely
    3 years ago

The built-in planter boxes on the left and wide interior chimney in the centre are great, do not remove them!!

The rock-cage(?) barrier thing is bad, replace it with a mid-century modern wood fence like this

Ridge Oak remodel · More Info

Having an outdoor fireplace sounds awesome, but that one does look a bit bulky and Flintstones-y. If you can source a sleek MCM model like this it'd be a great replacement.

Jennifer Johnson thanked comelyhomely
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

It's a take on MCM style. Simplify. I would use the rock in landscape beds. Maybe remove some block wall and create more of stair step design. Railings and fences would be nice when they are installed horizontally. Paint the door frame a contrast bright color. I think it has great bones. Paint the exterior with light warm color. Maybe the palest of cream, beige, or yellow.

Jennifer Johnson thanked LB Interiors
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

Here are some photos for inspiration.

Jennifer Johnson thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • chiflipper
    3 years ago

Lived in the Biltmore area for 20+ years. The gabion wall (rocks in basket) and the Fred Flintstone exterior fireplace are not in keeping with the beautiful lines of your home...remove them. A wealth of excellent landscape designers are available in your area. Early Sunday morning drives through the Historic areas will give you inspiration.

https://historicphoenixdistricts.com/historic-districts/

Jennifer Johnson thanked chiflipper
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    3 years ago

@Jennifer Johnson breeze blocks are decorative screens/fencing that were popular on mid-century modern home exteriors and landscaping. They're usually made of concrete and come in lots of geometric patterns. Here are a few examples:

A mid-century modern landscape · More Info

Mid-Century Charm in Vintage Las Vegas · More Info

Las Palmas Oasis · More Info

Jennifer Johnson thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • Jennifer Johnson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you everyone! We listened and removed the fireplace and rocks...and we think it looks much better.

We loved Lisa Caudill Designs suggestion of Mid-Century Modern white exterior with cedar accent. That’s our next project.

• flopsycat1
    2 years ago

Looks great, congratulations!

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    2 years ago

Looking great so far! Can't wait to see it all donor!

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    2 years ago

Done! Autocorrect strikes again!

• chiflipper
    2 years ago

Excellent start! Now install some great landscaping, see my previous comment above. Be sure to have a "hard-piped" irrigation system (NOT the flexible tubing - trust me on this) with several zones on separate valves & timers. Or perhaps you're in an area with flood irrigation - if so, lucky you.