Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_yu4078173

Anyone else's renovation experiencing major delays post Covid?

3 years ago

So we are in week 8 of our kitchen renovation and things are going pretty darn slow. It took 6 weeks to get the cabinet boxes in bc of delays with the inspection and the cabinet maker being backordered with orders. Now cabinet boxes have been in for 2 weeks and since then tile flooring has been installed. Now this week its raining so the cabinet guys won't work (understandably since power tools & water don't mix). So another week delay and there is really no end in sight. My GC said they will be done in July, so that puts us at 15+ weeks for a kitchen remodel where I didn't move any walls. Removed floors, new cabinets, countertops, appliances, paint, etc.

They said post covid there are alot of supply chain disruptions and things are running at a 4 week delay. So, I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing long delays in their renovation projects as well. Would love to hear stories about what ya'll are going through. I can't wait to get my new kitchen but we are in this phase of I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. What is everyone else going through?

Comments (13)

• 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Do a search and you’ll find many threads on this topic…from tradespeople, flooring, to appliances and cabinetry. Some people have waited a year for their dishwashers. There’s a long thread about the delay of GE Cafe appliances. Everyone in the midst of a kitchen renovation is in the same boat.

• 3 years ago

The mystery is why this would be a surprise to anyone. It’s all over the news, and every renovation professional is suffering through it.

• 3 years ago

"Now this week its raining so the cabinet guys won't work (understandably since power tools & water don't mix)."

Um...........

• 3 years ago

The cabinet guys can still work when it's raining unless you don't have a roof?

• PRO
    3 years ago

No garage or porch roof to use the saw? They could get a pop up?

• PRO
    3 years ago

"Now this week its raining so the cabinet guys won't work (understandably since power tools & water don't mix)."

Total BS.

• 3 years ago

We have a fully covered patio, which is why it was surprising to me. I dunno. They can still get wet if it rains sideways?? So what was estimated to be a 10 week remodel is going to be at minimum of 12-14 weeks. And that's not moving walls or anything major. There's other work I'd like to have done in the house, but given the delays with my kitchen I'm not motivated to start that until things get back to normal, should that ever happen.

And yep, my appliances were 3 months out from the date that I ordered. My fridge just got pushed out to August when it was supposed to be delivered this month.

• 3 years ago

Most likely your cabinets guys went to finish another project that was running more behind...and they used rain as a "reason". Renos are hard when times are so called normal, this stuff in 2021 is just crazy! We did our reno in 2020, the delays and price increases just keep getting worse. One day...it will all be done...hang in there.

• 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

We had our old deck torn off in early March and are still waiting for the new one even though the materials are all here. Not that big a deal, but we had to barricade our back door so we don't experience a 12' free-fall if we forget there's no deck. A robin took advantage and has built a nest above the door :(

• 3 years ago

“A robin took advantage”. That brought a smile to my face!

• 3 years ago

Something similar here - work on our back porch (last part of a 9 month addition/reno) stopped for a couple of weeks and the birds swooped in. We pulled one nest out of the roof rafters on the first day (my kids worried what might happen if they laid eggs there) and they promptly built another one in a spot we couldn't reach. The builders came back and framed in the roof and by the next day I could see the birds building a nest in the gutter.

Btw our project was supposed to be 6 months but it's dragged on mainly I think because all the trades, including the architect and structural engineer, are so crazy busy. One more week to go - good luck everyone!

• 3 years ago

My cabinets are delayed and my contractor is running behind because he got Covid. I am in no rush though, my appliance probably won't be here until next year LOL!

On the other hand the new doors only took 2 weeks to come in.

• 3 years ago

Glad to hear everyone's stories. Its been tough for us since we've had no kitchen during all of this. This week there has been no one working at our house and its really the days or weeks that no one is here that kills my spirit. Its not raining- the contractors should be here working. But I get a text saying they will be here Saturday when its a 95% chance rain. So we can all guess what's going to happen. I'm wondering at what point can I go - nothing is happening, we are getting concerned this is going from a 10 week remodel to one in which ya'll won't give me an end date. And yes, I do think that the crews went to work other jobs bc yesterday's excuse was rain and today its sunny and yet no contractors here. Frustrating.