Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobv2

Do they need to be potted up?

bobv2 Z5b
2 years ago

I like these plants - so dramatic, so easy to care for, so forgiving. They are in 6" pots & doing fine.

I wonder if they will ever need to be potted up - to 8" or more?

Comments (11)

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    2 years ago

They will need potted up at some point. They will eventually fill the pot and literally bust out of it. They look happy now though.

bobv2 Z5b thanked popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

Also the potting soil will deteriorate to the point where the pots will be mostly all roots and no growing media. That they will need REpotting is inevitable but you can keep their growth restrained/stunted by just root pruning and repotting in the same sized container.

But much of the joy of growing indoor plants is to watch them thrive and grow so I would size up the pot as necessary.

bobv2 Z5b thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

must not have kids or pets ... else i dont understand why they arent always getting knocked over ...

regardless of whether you want to repot them ... i would get some larger pot filled with rock or something.. and nestle these pots inside such.. so they have a stable heavy base so they wont get damaged tipping over all the time ...

of course.. if you dont do this.. and they tumble off the table often enough.. they will end up bare rooted.. making it easy for you to repot.. lol ...

and dont forget.. the most important thing in a pot.. is the media.. not the plant ... so start looking now.. for a quality potting media .. most of us dont prefer MG media ...

ken

bobv2 Z5b thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • bobv2 Z5b
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I'm amazed at the fast replies. So helpful too.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    2 years ago

I have been playing with these guys a long time. Putting them in a heavier pot is a good idea. I use my own potting soil mix. Most here will not use this but I love it. It works for me. I use well composted mulch from my own compost pile of grass cuttings and fall leaves. With this I add in perlite to keep it loose and free draining. About 3/4 compost to 1/4 perlite. MG cactus mix is next best substitute for this. Your pots should be good for a few years but then figure to upgrade. They will get to about 4 feet tall in time. While it is summer and if you have them outside for the summer, they will drink up most of the water you can give them but once temps start to go down to the low 60's start to hold off watering. This is the main reason some use a much more gritter mix. To keep it free draining.

If you like the more smaller size ones. The ones to look for are called Sansevieria trifasciata futura class. The very small ones are called birdnest sans or hahnii group.

If you read thru these post, you will see many examples of our sans here.

• Russ / Central Fla Z9b
    2 years ago

Bob, in case you don't know the names of your sans, you have the the species trifasciata and one of it's most common and best varieties. The species is the green one, your yellow-edged one is called 'Laurentii', and at one time was the most popular houseplant in the world. There are a great many different trifasciata varieties. You could easily have a large collection of just those but there are lots of other species and varieties of sansevierias that are just as attractive, interesting and easy to grow.

Sansevierias can be grown from leaf cuttings, so if a leaf gets broken don't throw it away, you could have more plants from it. Your trifasciata species will make more of the same, new plants of the Laurentii will lose the yellow edge so reverts back to the species.

bobv2 Z5b thanked Russ / Central Fla Z9b
  • Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    2 years ago

There is no pot that would be big enough for Sans to never need to be repotted. Eventually the rhizomes would fill any size enclosure, just like Cannas.

• Russ / Central Fla Z9b
    2 years ago

I agree Tiffany. I've seen giant tubs, over 3 feet across, full of humongous size sans masoniana. And I bet they were massively root-bound and needed repotting!

bobv2 Z5b thanked Russ / Central Fla Z9b
  • Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    2 years ago

Tiffany can tell you about even growing in the ground and if not for winter, would fill the yard. As for masoniana, I call them the sweet potato of the sans world.

• Russ / Central Fla Z9b
    2 years ago

Well they certainly have sweet potato size rhizomes. I notice that when new plants find a drain hole and emerge from the ground next to the pot, those offsets are much bigger than those that come up in the pot. So has to be the free root-run that triggers the extra size. Dawei and metallica San Remo have both 'escaped' that way this summer and their size is astounding.

My brother Roger has a humongous clump of huge kirkii Coppertone in the ground in Homestead Fla. And Juan Chahinian's species book has pics of sans in the ground at his home in Naples Fla. They apparently laugh at the root-knot nematodes so prevalent in our sandy soil, it's hard to grow tomatoes and peppers in the here because of them.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022