Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenme

Kitchen Reorg Dilemna: flow through pantry + efficient workspace

2 years ago

I've measured out my kitchen, pantry, powder room space and played with several layout options. Then gave up and hired a design/build company for suggestions. I'm still not loving any of the possibilities. What would you do with this space?

Problems:

• flow from the garage moves through the dining and around to the kitchen
  • mudroom isn't well organized
  • dead space in the pantry
  • kitchen is too large with a scattered workspace

Required:

• powder room swapped to mudroom closet space
  • flow from garage through a new mudroom, into a new pantry, and into the kitchen
  • workspace in the kitchen needs to be much smaller/more efficient
  • space for gathering/entertaining (bar seating preferably not in a straight line) as well as a kitchen couch

Leaning towards:

• largest freestanding refrigeration in the kitchen space with a freezer in the pantry
  • induction, 36" cooktop with electric wall ovens OR induction range with ovens (but prefer two ovens total and not keen on the microwave/oven options)

I've attached the current layout, the designer's current suggestion, and my own thoughts. Every suggestions feels like I'm still dancing around the space with an inefficient work triangle! Help!

Comments (6)

• 2 years ago

Could you move the range to the exterior to make a straight shot from the garage door to the kitchen? Put the pantry entrance on the kitchen wall, where the island can be used as a drop zone for loading to fridge and pantry. Make the width of the lower part of the pantry the same width as the entry hall, so you can add a door which can be left open or closed as you need it.

Normally I'd put the trash on the opposite side of the sink from the DW, but using that smaller cabinet for trash leaves space for a wider cabinet to the right, and it will be convenient to traffic to the fridge and MW. Coffee pot could be kept in the pantry, above or below the MW. You might consider adding a sink and window on the exterior wall of the pantry. I didn't finish the cabinet configuration, but this gives an idea of the layout.

Depending of the height of the window on the bottom wall, you could use a shallow bench or cabinet for extra storage.

NKBA guidelines

New to Kitchens? Read me first.

ellenme thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • 2 years ago

You have a very nice sized space. I like the designers suggestion the best of the three.

Here are some thoughts:

I see you changed the island. To the other direction. And I understand why you would have done that. But I think the island facing the range hood looks aesthetically more pleasing. So I’d either leave as designer planned. Or swap the range with the sink and the sink where the range is.
    But you really don’t have to. You can leave it facing the sink as well.
    But, make sure there is enough space for it. (In your design it looks tight)

I’d also lose the sink in the island.
    If you fee you need another one I’d do it on the perimeter

For me, the island with the attached table looks very heavy. So I was thinking you can do 2.
    Now, I usually don’t suggest this because I used to think it looked a bit off. But I just saw this kitchen , actually last night , and it changed my mind. I think it’s so tastefully done. And I think you would benefit from this kinda layout. You also might be able to do the island in the way you showed it in your option. (see photos below)

ellenme thanked HU-187528210
  • 2 years ago

Mama goose and HU-187528210, you’ve given me a lot to think about!

Mama goose, I really love the flow you created. That little window is actually overlapping the edge of the counter by several inches, making relocating the fridge or having a full-sized pantry there impossible (without filling in the window) But the range there might work perfectly. Thank you for that suggestion.

HU-187528210, I think what throws me off about the designer’s suggestion is the potential lack of storage in my working zone. I hate that I currently travel from my zone by the range, around the corner of the existing island, to the sink, dw, or to dinnerware. And when someone else is in the kitchen they’re almost always near the fridge, which is smack dab in my route. So it was a ‘must’ to have a sink closer. But in the version facing the existing range, a sink in the island takes up quite a lot of counter space and storage below. I thought we were unable to put a cooktop in front of a window, so I’ll have to revisit that option. And I do love the two side-by-side islands. I’d have to consider the traffic flow into the pantry.

At the moment it’s just me and my husband contending for traffic routes, but as the kids grow I know they’ll be running in and out often, likely straight to the fridge and/or pantry. So I want them to be able to make that trip without too much interruption.

• 2 years ago

It would be a shame to lose this window but it has crossed our minds if it unlocks additional layout choices.

• 2 years ago

I like the designer’s plan, except I would put a small prep sink in the island and the pull out trash next to it. The sink under the window would be for cleanup.

If you prefer your plan, if you switch the wall ovens and fridge, that may help with traffic at fridge in your way. I’m not sure you will like having a cooktop in the island though