Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jess_geerling

paint colors for cabinets & walls in A frame cottage - help!

Jessica Geerling
2 years ago

We just purchased a cottage and everything was the same color ( the kitchen cabinets were same color as cedar ceilings) It's a very cozy and warm but also a lake house, so I want to keep the warmth but don't want to go too wintery for summer months. I just spent days painting all the cabinets and HATE IT! We painted the cabinets Farrow & ball french gray & the island farrow and ball ichyra blue) started painting the walls F & B lime white and can see it is cooling everything down and I don't like it at all. I did test the french gray before painting but it still turned out WAY more green than I thought it would due to the light or maybe contrast to the wood? (was hoping it would be a tinge of green)

Any suggestions here?? a warmer wall color with this? Island a dark gray instead? Same color island? I am scared to paint cabinets again due to layers of paint, but I would do it. *I'll be adding hardware soon, too. I also do love an eclectic style so am not afraid of color, but just like to keep it cozy and cottagey. Are the stools & floor just throwing everything off?

Comments (27)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

All white on walls to match appliances. White or gray for cabinets with black base on the island base to match the floor detail.

Jessica Geerling thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Suzi Marman Hanks
    2 years ago

I’m sorry, I think the floor is the mistake. Try wood, or wood look tile… then treat the ceiling to white paint on the beams or the panels, not both.
    I’d also probably try to do the island in a wood look too.

Jessica Geerling thanked Suzi Marman Hanks
  • Kate
    2 years ago

Don’t think there is much you can do that will help as much as changing out the floor tile.

Jessica Geerling thanked Kate
  • mvcanada
    2 years ago

I like the green on the perimeter cabinets. But I don't like it in combination with the colour on the island. I would either match the island to the perimeter or go something with white - you could do V-joint or beadboard and paint it white or another light colour.

I feel the green of the cabinets is still overpowered by all the wood. I'd paint some of the trim and the spindles on the railing above in white. Maybe some of the beams too - you'll need to try some white and see how far you want to go with it

The flooring in the kitchen is the elephant in the room. It just isn't right for the whole setting. And I don't understand the edges of the patterned tile being grey - is that the colour of the rest of the flooring throughout the main floor? I'd find one flooring that would work for the whole space and replace all of it.

My choice for flooring in that type of setting would be a natural stone. The pictures below are limestone. The first, darker one, I wouldn't use the light grout showing in the photo. The second one I've seen in person installed and it is absolutely gorgeous. Easy to clean, comfortable to walk on. I think choices like this throughout the main floor would make a huge difference to the overall feel of the cottage.

Marble & Limestone-Slate – Toronto Tiles | Saltillo Imports Inc. Toronto · More Info

Marble & Limestone-Slate – Toronto Tiles | Saltillo Imports Inc. Toronto · More Info

I'm not a fan of the pendant light over the island. The colour is lost against all the wood. I'd look for something that contrasts with the colour of the wood and gives good light in that space.

Here are some ideas...

This one is a bit retro - maybe a black chain and canopy would be good in your space with the white glass shade.

Dutchess 15 Inch Mini Pendant | Capitol Lighting · More Info

I love this hammered look - you could incorporate whatever colour fixture you choose into other elements in the space. I don't see pulls on your cabinets. You could consider adding pulls to match the light fixture you choose.

Missoula 13 Inch Mini Pendant | Capitol Lighting · More Info

I love this mercury glass look. A little bit out of the ordinary,

Feiss Hounslow 7 Inch Mini Pendant | Capitol Lighting · More Info

Some warm toned accessories on the counters will also make it feel a bit more pulled together.

Search results for "wood bowl" · More Info

Search results for "wood charcuterie board" · More Info

Search results for "canisters" · More Info

Jessica Geerling thanked mvcanada
  • pat1250
    2 years ago

Following

Jessica Geerling thanked pat1250
  • Caroline Hamilton
    2 years ago

Is the floor staying? I think that's what is throwing it off. And the stools. I would change out all the appliances to stainless for sure. I know you don't want to repaint but I don't think those two colors go with each other or the floor. I think your kitchen would look lovely with white cabinets and a wood island.

Jessica Geerling thanked Caroline Hamilton
  • Susan Murin
    2 years ago

I think the cab color is salvageable…. def need to repaint (or better yet strip and stain) the island, change the floor (ideally for whole space but if just for kitchen at least get rid of that curve), add hardware, and get new barstools. It will look great.

Jessica Geerling thanked Susan Murin
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    2 years ago

Love the ceilings!!! What a nice little house. Your cabinets look like a soft sage green on my device, and the walls have a hint of peachy yellow. I love the cabinets with the wood. It’s really pretty. I would paint the island to match the cabinets. Paint the walls to match the countertops, and do a backsplash that has either or both the cabinet and ceiling colors as accents. I really don’t like the floor. I would do a faux stone in whatever material your budget can handle, again trying to bring a touch of either the ceiling and/or cabinets in. A rug would be nice. You just have too many colors and shapes going on and need to simplify it a bit.

Jessica Geerling thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • Kathy Furt
    2 years ago

Island color is off, floor needs to go. I understand having Formica in a cabin. I would just repaint Jan’s colors, new stools, new floor. Of just paint the island new flooring

Jessica Geerling thanked Kathy Furt
  • mariagrazia
    2 years ago

The green goes well with the beautiful ceilings/house. I would paint the island the same color as the rest of the green cabinets. The white appliances are fine and go with the counters and floor. Changing to stainless would add an additional color and I think minimizing the number of colors will help. Maybe paint the stools green and recover in a print to go with the cabinets. Are there two wall colors - I see a creamy color to left of range and a white/pale gray on the refrigerator wall? The creamy color seems to go with the wood. Is the rest of the room/house painted the creamy color? I like the light over the island.

Jessica Geerling thanked mariagrazia
  • Jessica Geerling
    Original Author
    2 years ago

ahhh, yes! thank you all
    so much, this is so so great. I just realized I didn’t actually mention we will be replacing the flooring in my post, but yes, we will be… It was also the exact flooring of my bathroom as a teenager! We do need to find something on a budget and will be keeping the carpet around it for at least a year, but I loved all the suggestions so so much especially the dark flooring as I was not sure what wood would work with those ceilings. thank you all so much!!!

• Jessica Geerling
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@mvcanada do you have the source for that second flooring option you posted?? really love all your suggestions!

• mvcanada
    2 years ago

Hi Jessica, the tiles are from Saltillo Tiles which has a few locations in Canada. I'm not sure if you told us where you are located. I'm sure a good tile shop will have similar choices. The Darker one is Limestone, the second one is honed Bluestone. Both are gorgeous but the second one is my favourite. So perfect for a cottage, easy to clean and easy underfoot.

Good luck with your cottage - you've got a winner, it just needs some tweaking I think.

Jessica Geerling thanked mvcanada
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 years ago

First of all - your lake home is charming!! Second, I'm not so sure about the black and white tile flooring especially with the greenish/gray cabinetry. Perhaps if the cabinets were the same white as the white in the flooring that might help tie everything together in a better fashion. Might also suggest painting your island the same color as the cabinetry. Small spaces seem to benefit from having fewer divergent colors. Would suggest a simple white for your walls as well. The bar stools you have don't seem quite right either. I do like the lighting fixture as it has a warm and homey rustic quality to it. Good luck!

Jessica Geerling thanked Norwood Architects
  • elisejames
    2 years ago

I like your paint colors and agree with others who have said the floor is the issue. I don’t think you should spend time repainting if you are able to change the floor first. Do that, then change the stools, then decide about the cabinets. It’s a charming place in any event!

Jessica Geerling thanked elisejames
  • Demetra Heigher
    2 years ago

Your paint choices,  at least in the photo, look great.  Are you replacing the flooring throughout? If not, maybe a lighter gray vinyl that imitates stone in the kitchen, unless your budget isn't an issue and you prefer stone. Your stools could work if the fabric on the seats were more complementary. And maybe black cabinet knobs/pulls as well for a more updated look. I'm assuming eventually you'll swap out appliances. BTW now you can design your own appliance skins and a cabin is just the place to experiment with something fun. (I'm looking at you, fridge.)

Jessica Geerling thanked Demetra Heigher
  • Demetra Heigher
    2 years ago

Fabric ideas for the stools.

• Sofia
    2 years ago

I like it! I’d make two changes, then take a step back and live with it for awhile.

First, I’d add knobs to the cabinets. My first choice would be some cute retro wood ones. Another possibility, maybe matte black?

Second, I’d replace the counter stools.They’re bringing the room down a bit. Then I’d audition new stools. Maybe metal legs instead of wood? Seat colors that contrast a bit with the island and bring the blue and green together? Or maybe a leather that looks great with both colors and the surrounding wood?

Jessica Geerling thanked Sofia
  • Demetra Heigher
    2 years ago

Endless possibilities.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    2 years ago

Just say no to the birds on the fridge…

Jessica Geerling thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Ditto that.

Solve the real issues:

Paint allllll the cabinetry, island included, a deep pine green and get rid of the bathroom floor. Everything else is wasted effort for any really good result. : )

Jessica Geerling thanked JAN MOYER
  • btydrvn
    2 years ago

An easy short cut could be butcher block countertops and LVP over the tile… match the island to cabinet color

Jessica Geerling thanked btydrvn
  • Jessica Geerling
    Original Author
    2 years ago

love all these ideas!! thanks everyone!!!

• anna_682
    2 years ago

Deep pine green suggested by Jan would look perfect in your space. I agree you need a new floor in the kitchen.

Jessica Geerling thanked anna_682
  • heathermalia
    2 years ago

Change that floor!  You'll be much happier with the space overall.  Great cabin!

Jessica Geerling thanked heathermalia
  • Jessica Geerling
    Original Author
    2 years ago

started with changing island to match perimeter cabinets… (most simple / inexpensive fix first) ;) looking better already