Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandyr1

How do I make my yellowish sofa look better against the Agreeable Gray

sandyr1
2 years ago

Didn’t realize our sofa was so yellow toned when we painted. How do I get these to look good together? Don’t really want to buy new furniture. (The last picture has shadowing that makes it look filthy. It’s not. 🙄) Thanks!

Comments (12)

• kbellgt
    2 years ago

I think the blue and cream sofa look nice together. What else is in the room?

• sandyr1
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The walls are actually Agreeable Gray. We have nothing else in the room yet. Any suggestions on decor is appreciated. Style preferences: Transitional, Modern Farmhouse, Boho

• housegal200
    2 years ago

You're the umpteenth person today who's asked for advice without showing the entire room. We don't know what the rest of your furnishings look like, floor color, rugs, furniture, accessories. Need more visual information. .Here's my thread on how to get the most helpful suggestions when you post on Houzz. Good design is holistic, not just a three-foot section of a room.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6067247/design-dilemma-advice-for-first-time-posters

Usually the solution to a color incompatibility is to repaint the walls, not replace furniture. Is there a reason you can't repaint to a creamy white that matches your terrific sofa? I don't get why so many people twist themselves into pretzels to stick with gray, gray, gray walls indoors and outdoors even when none of their furnishings goes with gray.

Create an Ideabook called "gray and cream living room" and see what pops up. There's a whole thread on "gray living room walls cream sofa on Pinterest." I find the well-designed room below depressing. However, the cream rug, art work, ivory drapes, patterned pillow make it a little dynamic.

• everdebz
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

As said, there are spots in the room to repeat some varieties of the wall and sofa color. Seems fairly understated, low contrast, 'calm'.

Pekka Ilari T 'Early Autumn Morning' Canvas Art, 14x32 · More Info

"Dark-Haired Horse" Painting Print on Wrapped Canvas, 45"x30" · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

I'd use whatever neutral is ok to you. I don't mind your pillow with rust and teal.

"Dandelion" Fine Art Canvas Print, 36"x24" · More Info

sandyr1 thanked everdebz
  • happyleg
    2 years ago

Make sure your life bulbs are natural light cuz if they're soft white that might be making the yellow tent and try removing your coffee table and see if that helps cuz it could be that but I do like the wood coffee table

• everdebz
    2 years ago

This comes in different colors...

Santa Maria Azure 16.5" Throw Pillow, Set of 2 · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Natural colors in wool etc... lots of covers on Etsy.com -

combined with grey-green, and wood brown color -

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1021047148/kilim-pillow-16-x-16-inches-cushion

• everdebz
    2 years ago

I would avoid anything with white in it, esp. near the sofa. That's how I'd make it seem less yellow.

sandyr1 thanked everdebz
  • housegal200
    2 years ago

Start looking at inspiration photos that have the same color flooring, trim, cabinet ,and furniture finishes that you have. As I mentioned previously, you should only be looking at photos with "Agreeable Gray/ivory sofa." Some will be boho, some farmhouse, and so forth. Tons of photos will come up with that. Make sure to factor in floor finish you have and kitchen cabinets if you have open concept.

If your sofa is ivory and floors are warm pine, then look at images with pine floors and ivory sofas. Many newbies have the habit of looking at one element in an inspiration photo but everything else in the photo--wood trim, floors, cabinets, what I call "the givens." are different than the OPs and nothing works. You need to narrow down your searches to what your givens are and not some dream place that has nothing in common with your house. Here's something I posted on this question of "givens" that should influence decisions.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6231964/how-to-find-and-use-realistic-inspiration-photos-given-your-givens

sandyr1 thanked housegal200
  • Maureen
    2 years ago

Cushions will do the trick. Be sure to carry the added colors elsewhere in room.

sandyr1 thanked Maureen