Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
craddockmarissa

Decor Help - Dining Room Sideboard & Table

M C
last year

What does the design community think about pairing a rustic dining room table with a bold mirrored/blue sideboard (would switch out knobs so not gold)? We're building a house and this is the first time I'll have a dining room! The house is modern farmhouse-style. Let me know your thoughts!

Comments (26)

• lisaam
    last year

This is not a natural pairing. what sort of chairs do you anticipate and what draws you to these two pieces? you’ll need to create some sort of bridge.

• M C
    Original Author
    last year

chairs are just a plain beige tufted. i like that the sideboard is a unique piece, but was definitly unsure how they would look together.

• User
    last year
    last modified: last year

I like the look and would love to be invited over BUT: think about what those mirrors will reflect and how when it comes to knees and feet and shorts and skirts — and crumbs under the table? I think I might use slipcovered parsons chairs with skirts to the floor for psychological comfort zone reasons.

• User
    last year

187 San Roy Road · More Info

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

What is the style of the home. The dining table doesn't have to match the style, but the two styles should work together.

I would never mix a Glam sideboard with a Rustic Table. It's just too far-fetched to work well.

• User
    last year

• Snaggy
    last year

Sorry but I think mirrored Furniture is tacky !

• M Riz
    last year

That sideboard ^^^ incorporates plenty of reclaimed wood look, the chosen buffet is glam/contemporary. The wood is the bridge.

• D Bee
    last year

GO for it. Check the pic from ital mover. I love combinations that are unconventional. However, it is more of challenge than when everything exactly matches. EU and UK designers seem to pull off eclectic the best. Go looking for examples and you will find inspiration.

• User
    last year

So here’s another glam mirrored sideboard in a room with decidely rustic elements

I forgot to say that the other picture I posted illustrates the hazard of a mirrored sideboard I was trying to describe: Anybody sitting on the bench in that photo who was wearing a skirt would think twice about how get on and off that bench given the way everything at level is reflected by the sideboard. And just in general, even if everbody at the table that is seated facing the sideboard is wearing long trousers, there is something rather distracting to diners about having a clear view of other people’s knees and feet. Problems are lessened by choice of chairs and if the mirroring is somewhat antiqued or distorted rather than a crystal clear reflection.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

Yeah? Where exactly are those rustic elements in that totally Glam Room?????

• M Riz
    last year

Uh, there’s cow artwork. theres nothing decidedly rustic there maybe im missing something tho, i just see the cows if you swap only the artwork to a drippy, glittery piece, voila glam.

• User
    last year

PS: I think one thing to notice if you are looking at pictures of dining rooms with glam mirrored buffets is that very often the sideboard is NOT the ”statement” piece in the room. Something else is. So be prepared to spend that money

• User
    last year

If you think cows are glamorous, good for you

• User
    last year

the original poster is considering upholstered chairs (like the one in the cow room) and there is nothing essential to the buffet about the generic chandlier, and were the table what the original poster is considering it would look fine with that cow poster.

Is the original poster is thinking about that table plus a drippy giltttery artwork?

• M Riz
    last year

read it again, what i said was the cows were the only rustic element in your example, switch it with a cheap gltter painting and you have glam. 👀 stop trying to gaslight, youre not good at it

• User
    last year

Read my comment to yours, M Riz

• User
    last year

(My response about finding cows glamorous is to BeverlyFLA)

• User
    last year

Looking at the room with the cow artwork again, I actually think it would look better with the table the original poster is considering

• M Riz
    last year

I agree, I still think that the particular buffet that shes looking at isnt it. The first one that you posted definitely lends itself to a modern country. I am not a pro tho, and every one has their own idea of what different styles should look like. Thats why theres no hard and fast rules, its about creativity and finding a designer that sees your vision.

• lisaam
    last year

The actual reflection in the furniture is a non-issue for me; by the time everyone is seated, lights are adjusted, I don’t think that much will be visible.

If I just loved the 2 pieces I’d look for ways to pull my vision together. maybe some simple contemporary mirrored candlesticks or other streamlined bling would be a starting point. I’d try to choose pieces carefully and not vary far to insure everything works towards the goal.

• tozmo1
    last year

Glam, rustic, I don't know but for me, the two pieces just don't work together, even if the sideboard was not mirrored and glammed up. The dining table is very heavy, especially the curvy legs, maybe even clunky looking. The sideboard is slim and elegant. Makes me think of this:

• everdebz
    last year

Thinking about it, M.farmhouse likely has no lacquery sheen - you can find 'antiqued' finishes for a console that I think you'd like better!

• everdebz
    last year

Something with rough fabric, but 'smooth' lines to go with dressy blue item....

the dining table could be a slightly weathered with blue somehow....? It's pulling my cow's leg for sure....https://www.livingspaces.com/pdp-magnolia-home-colette-low-back-dining-chair-by-joanna-gaines-271724

• everdebz
    last year

modern fashion tempered glass, the base is a traditional farmhouse trestle design.

https://www.livingspaces.com/pdp-robin-dining-table-252060

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022