Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_733173324

is $7k reasonable for builder up charge to black on black windows?

Panda Bear
last year

Approx 25 windows in the house. Andersen 100s.

Is it realistic that black on black windows are almost double regular white windows?

Comments (43)

• nhb22
    last year

Yes. Surprised that the upcharge isn't more. If the window was a different brand it would be.

• barncatz
    last year
    last modified: last year

Agree with ARG, (who undounbtedly has a real foundation for this opinion). I've watched black on black windows explode on Houzz, and I think that's a real danger sign.

• Architectrunnerguy
    last year

Agree with ARG, (who undounbtedly has a real foundation for this opinion),

I always advise my clients that if they wish to copy the latest trend (and that's what black windows are...who saw them anywhere just a few years ago), they are already too late.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    last year

Not sure if that is reasonble but would be fairly easy to check since they are widley available. Details such as if they are black out and white in, 25 window units vs 25 individual windows, trim accessories , ect. will have an effect on pricing as well.

I think black windows have never went out of style and the upswing in there popularity is here to stay. They sure look great when used with the right colors and style of home.

• Architectrunnerguy
    last year

and the upswing in there (sic) popularity is here to stay.

Regarding another trend, I remember folks saying that about lime green shag carpeting. Of course, carpeting is a whole lot easier to change than windows.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

What's wrong with my lime green shag carpeting?? I suppose you don't like beads in doorways or lava lamps either?

• Jennifer K
    last year

Lava lamps are ok. They're kind of like clouds. ;)

• User
    last year

Bronze windows are a lot less trendy and more timeless. And can look equally dark, but not as stark, as a color emphasis.

• theotherjaye
    last year

We got Milgard Black Bean windows, which are actually a very, very dark brown.

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    last year

I agree that switching previously white or different color windows with black is a trend that will probably wane. In my opinion, a house that had original black windows- replace with black, in general. There are exceptions, yes. But changing to black just because it seems popular, no.

• wiscokid
    last year

@Jennifer K - just don't shake 'em up

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    last year

typical

order early

• cpartist
    last year

I think black windows have never went out of style and the upswing in there popularity is here to stay. They sure look great when used with the right colors and style of home.

Like how everyone swore by painting all walls beige?

Or how about that 70's paneling on walls?

Or wallpapering any wall that was vertical?

Oh and tiled countertops?

Exotic wood flooring?

Or new Victorian style houses?

Or new Tuscan style houses?

Or 80's modern houses?

Or honey oak kitchen cabinets?

• PRO
    toddinmn
    last year

I was referring to windows specifically.

• cpartist
    last year

I was referring to windows specifically.

Actually they too have gone in and out of style.

• worthy
    last year

When wood windows were the standard and you wanted a different colour you painted them rather than asking a million strangers what to do.

(I fondly recall my orange shag wall-to-wall.)

• dan1888
    last year

White windows are the cheapest choice and 100% found on the lowest quality windows. Cheapest never goes out of style.

• wiscokid
    last year

@worthy - or the shag carpeting right up the walls to the ceiling....

• just_janni
    last year

What an odd statement to equate color with quality.

• worthy
    last year

or the shag carpeting right up the walls to the ceiling....

Saved that for the shag(ing) van.! Photo

• res2architect
    last year

Its difficult to offer advice without knowing the type of windows, the design of the house or the upcharge per window. This kind of detail should reinforce the larger design ideas rather than conform to trends. A good design has a heirarchy of ideas rather than a collection of them.

The Andersen 100 is not a traditional window design so if the house is modern, black frames and sash might be appropriate.

For a traditional style house I prefer a more traditional window design with white window frames and black sash.

• dan1888
    last year

Call an Anderson dealer and get a quote for windows only in each color. That's the info you need.

If you look at the lowest quality vinyl replacement windows, they are white.

• millworkman
    last year

"If you look at the lowest quality vinyl replacement windows, they are white."

And a Yugo used to be available in a similar color pallet as a Mercedes so what does that say? The best vinyl replacement windows also come in white as does your usual go to the Marvin Fiberglass,, so again. Also the question was not in any way about the quality of a vinyl window or vinyl windows in particular.

• Panda Bear
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks to the one person that actually answered the question of the post…lol

• res2architect
    last year

The success of a question on the forum is often dependent on how well it is framed. How could anyone know what is “reasonable” for you? We don’t even know the number of the windows.

• T T
    last year

It would help to know what the total cost of the windows was before the up charge. That would help to determine what percentage increase the black windows are. My personal opinion on black exterior windows is that they blend in better and sort of disappear with the glass of the building as opposed to sticking out.  It's a cleaner look in my opinion.

• Jennifer K
    last year

The seller's mark-up will be whatever the market will bear. Right now black windows are popular so that number is large. Whether it's a reasonable number is something only you can decide. For me, $7k would not be worth it. For others, it might.

• Architectrunnerguy
    last year

Thanks to the one person that actually answered the question of the post…lol

It seems here that the folks who can't be bothered with commenting on other's posts are always the ones who find fault with those who do (29 posts with zero comments). I'm sure with Panda Bears build to date there's a wealth of experience to share there.

• Mrs Pete
    last year

I'm with ArchitectRunnerGuy. This is a trend, and it's something that'd be quite expensive to change out later. Unless it's genuinely something you absolutely adore and are planning around, skip the black windows.

Consider, too, that they only work with a few styles -- mainly "modern farmhouse". A two-story brick house in typical 80s style in my neighborhood changed to black windows -- looks absolutely awful.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    last year

Trend or not they look great when done with right colors and this goes beyond a sudo farmhouse and a 80’s brick house. As Dan1888 had stated cheapness rules and white vinyl rules the market.

• Jennifer K
    last year

they look great when done with right colors

Yes. And so do white windows. Just because something is common, doesn't mean it's cheap. (btw, pseudo, not sudo)

• PRO
    Grogan Engineering
    last year

Are you talking about the insides or out. For the Pella lifestyle series (which is what I bought for ours), the black stain inside was the most expensive color and was about $7k vs. no stain/bare wood. Have you shopped the Pella lifestyle stuff? Its pretty nice and was the exact same price as the Anderson 100s

• millworkman
    last year

"Have you shopped the Pella lifestyle stuff?"

Let us know what you think of them in 10 years...................

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    last year

Millworkman with the Sunday funny.

• PRO
    Grogan Engineering
    last year

You have to remember these are the days of people (builders) putting in plygem windows because they can't find anything else. You can't go wrong with pella and anderson imo. A lifetime warranty on the windows until you move helps some sleep at night I guess.

• PRO
    last year

Who's warranty is lifetime?

And by "lifetime" you meant non-transferable, right? So they can just continue to rot out on the next owner.

• millworkman
    last year

Unfortunately the only difference between Plygems and Pella are the letters that come after the "P" and the dollars.

• PRO
    Grogan Engineering
    last year

Pella does and yes its not transferrable. So what windows do you window experts recommend? Use who you like and I'll use who I like. Never had any issues with Pella and their quality is excellent. Have AAMA tested many myself.

Are you guys the "grumpy old men" of the forum?

• JP Haus
    last year

While I realize that an anecdote is not the same as data, my experience with Pella on a previous custom home was horrendous. I requested their blinds between the glass because my husband had just been diagnosed with multiple allergies and was being injected way too often.

About half of the Pella windows leaked. Others had problems with the blinds. The local Pella dealer broke two replacement windows while attempting to install them, so we lived for months with plywood over the window openings on the front of our new home while waiting on new windows. The corporate office denied any responsibility for the windows and refused to assist in any way. The local dealer with whom the custom builder had contracted finally stopped responding to his calls. I was told the windows were designed to allow air infiltration, which also meant water could be blown inside.

This all happened nearly two decades ago. We haven't used Pella windows, and we've told our grown children to avoid them.

• PRO
    last year

That is a good movie. Don't hate on Grumpy old men. Not used to be people calling me old. Especially when I can out-lift them in the gym.