Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helen_williams60

Which pendants over kitchen island?

Helen Williams
last year
last modified: last year

We are in the final stages of our kitchen renovation, and have chosen everything except for three pendants to light the island. I dont have a photo with the handles on as we are not at home at the moment, but they are fairly modern nickel finish ones, a mix of handles and knobs. The tap will be a stainless steel Quooker Fusion, and the worktops and splashback will be white pearl quartzite, due to be fitted on Monday. The units are just primed at the moment; the island will be painted dark green and the perimeter units in Farrow and Ball Setting Plaster, a blush pink.

We have chosen a very modern pendant, the Ribbon light from Heals, to hang over the dining table which will go across the room about where the photo was taken from. I’m struggling to find pendants that will go with the style of this large light. Considering Tom Dixon small mirror balls (as I’ve found them for a great price!) or some glass pendants from Original BTC.

We like mid century furniture and plan to gradually replace some of our existing pieces in the room with iconic designs like Eames plastic dining chairs, a Saarinen tulip table and a Togo sofa.

Any opinions much appreciated! And please excuse all the paint samples stuck on the worktop photo!

Comments (66)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Don't get hung up ON LIGHTS?

Get squared away with paint, by taking a bunch of painted boards, a sample of your flooring, and GO to your slab with all in hand.

Blue, pink, green......

Mid century isn't those cabinets. Yes, you can mix mid century elements into your home. But those cabinets are anything but: )

Stop obsessing re lighting? Get the big elements first.

I stand by the green suggestion on all the cabinetry, and make certain you like it with tops: )

I really don't see a need for pink here....and the floor almost screams for something else.

• kl23
    last year

Helen, do I understand the grey worktop is your countertop? I definitely want to see the finished kitchen! As I mentioned, that would be one of my favorite color schemes. It reminds me of an evergreen forest on a snowy cloudy winter day. So, yes, I understand why you want to bring in warmth. Nature does it with wood or red-brown twigs. You have wood floors, assuming they are part of the plan. And the wood at the end of the cabinet. Maybe replace the pink with a pale grey to repeat the countertop color. Maybe choose rattan or wicker pendants to bring the warm floor color up? https://www.google.com/search?q=wood+or+rattan+pendants+kitchen&oq=wood+or+rattan+pendants+kitchen&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i160j33i299.16892j1j7&client=ms-android-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#scso=_F4BBY8vNOo615NoP0JWm6Ao_18:3139

See what the real experts say about those ideas. I'm not an expert.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

GREEN. feels warmer.

And I am so sorry to say plaster pink suggests old lady panty hose with control top , to me: )

Also newer/fresher and more organic than blue. ....with a better link to so many shades of green that work not only in nature, but lend themselves to so many mid century accents as well.

• Helen Williams
    Original Author
    last year

Well, hang on a minute, I do have my paint sorted - it’s you lot that dont agree! 😘

And I’m not changing the floor - have just paid a f***ing fortune for it!

• kl23
    last year

Ok...thought somewhere you said something about changing from pink to blue-grey. My bad. So what do you think about pendants in a wicker or wood?

Helen Williams thanked kl23
  • Helen Williams
    Original Author
    last year

No, no, you’re all only trying to help. I think I have got to the point where I’m fed up with making decisions; also my husband has vetoed certain things like a different shade of pink, or pink walls.

Perhaps I need to cut my losses on the ribbon light and go for something different and easier to match with - we just hadnt seen anything else we both liked.

• Helen Williams
    Original Author
    last year

I’m not sure about wicker or wood as they wouldn’t be wipe clean

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

I can hear your frustration. But . We often see things in isolation, as you are doing with a light. As hubby is doing by vetoing without ....perhaps.......even reading the thread.

Sometimes, you just back away for a bit, set it all out a week later. After the tops. go in:)

The light doesn't set the entire tone of the kitchen, nothing lives in isolation. It's a whole, that is a big portion of the entire first floor living space. that's the whole and only issue.

Helen Williams thanked JAN MOYER
  • kl23
    last year

So funny you said your hubby vetoed a different shade of pink or pink walls. My hubby tells me I can do anything as long as no pink is involved.

• Helen Williams
    Original Author
    last year

Yeah, i think he can live with setting plaster as it’s not ’really’ pink 😂 We did also discuss Peignoir, but that’s kind of grey-pink. He couldnt cope with anything more sugary- i had my study in Middleton pink in our old house and he hated it. We turned that room into a nursery for our first baby and he insisted on painting over it - then baby turned out to be a girl! I think having two daughters and a female cat might have something to do with his feelings on the matter…

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

I am really struggling with your choice on the ribbon style light, especially with the furniture you want, Poulsen or Nelson would come to mind for me on that first.

Helen Williams thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Try a paint color with a bit more orange pink tone. That would work with your dark green, wood flooring (beautiful) and keep with modern look. Let me find right color I am visualizing. Bbl.

• Helen Williams
    Original Author
    last year

RL Relocation LLC, I fear you might be right; unfortunately its too late to return it. I like the Poulsen lights but husband doesn’t.

One issue is the kitchen looks slightly more trad than we were expecting because if the curved trim on the bookshelf - that wasn’t supposed to be there. It’s a custom unit and would have taken a few weeks to replace, and since we’ve been without a kitchen since July we couldnt face any further delay. Also the doors on the pantry shouldnt have that glass panel at the top - they are being replaced though with plainer ones, to match the fridge on the far left.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Your kitchen looks "trad", due to shaker fronts. If you wanted mid cen? They'd have been slab/flat.

It's not the bookshelves. the light " nobody wants to return"......won't change the cabinets.

"It's not really pink" ....well yeah....it's a bit sallow pink. Hubby's overrun with girls in the house. He participated: ) right?

I'd just be very sure,,, that's all I am saying.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

I agree the kitchen is much more to the traditional side, I think this may mean dont hang pendants here. Can we see the nook side of the room?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Might just go simple, brushed nickel and functional. Let dining be star.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

The kitchen is a whole different feel than the dining light. It didn't "just end a bit traditional"....it's a lot traditional. Even the inspo is very traditional. We've a hubby sick of infant poo, a bit tired of femininity. But. I'll be beaten senseless, The kitchen is on it's way to mish mash : ) somebody should "give. Too much compromise leads to NOBODY is happy.

• Helen Williams
    Original Author
    last year

Rest of room, just after walls knocked down (there is now a wall back up screening the washing machine etc in the utility room) and then looking the other way just after floor was laid but before kitchen units went in. We will fit (next week) a modern woodburning stove in the chhimney alcove on the garden side, where an Aga used to be.

I’m sorry we appear to have chosen the wrong kitchen units. We had slab front in our old house and wanted something less plain but still simple this time. I hoped Shaker would be a ’neutral’ style which we could take in a choice of directions depending on accessories and other furniture.

It’s 00.45 here, Ive been feeding the teething baby since 11, and i just want a finished kitchen really.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

What a cutie! So hard to go through with little ones. Bless you.

• kl23
    last year

Haha…thanks for sharing. My hubby had a secretary that used pink everywhere…screen saver, carpet, paperclips! He really respected her and depended on her but became allergic to pink after such an overdose. She was really wonderful, but the reason I can't have pink. Cute that you have two little girls and even a female cat. :-)

• kl23
    last year

Oh dear… I just read you are up with a teething baby. I could never think straight when exhausted. Calm your mind for a bit. You don't have to decide tonight. Remember your job isn't to make the pain stop; it's to let her know she can get through anything surrounded by those who care. However numzit is wonderful stuff. :-)

• kl23
    last year

The wood floor is lovely. Your daughter is lovely. Your Shaker cabinets are very popular. I think they are fine. Raised panel is exclusively traditional, while Shaker is whatever it is. Transitional is what I've read. But what does all the labeling mean anyway? I really love the evergreen, grey, and white, and the wood floor warms it up. It will be fine. You've come this far, and you'll get finished just fine.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

barncatz- I am with you!

Helen Williams thanked Flo Mangan
  • kl23
    last year

Helen, I saw this article first thing this morning and thought of you. I still prefer a soffit, but some people don't like those, and it looks like you did not choose a soffit. One idea presented I think is relatively new: the first one of adding lighting up there, angled at 45 degrees. I have heard your part of the world has a lot of overcast days and maybe a lighting option up there over the cabinets could be of value. For me it would be fun and with teething, fun is a good thing.

https://www.homesandgardens.com/kitchens/should-kitchen-cabinets-go-all-the-way-to-the-ceiling

• Helen Williams
    Original Author
    last year

Barncatz (great name!) is right - I think the issue here is that you are all American, and we’re not! I had it in my head that Houzz.com was an international site, but actually there is a co.uk version so I probably would have been better there. For example, ’transitional’ isn’t a thing here - I think people are less into categorising stuff in general.

The first image barncatz posted is a Plain English kitchen - I do love their style (they are ££££ unfortunately). Interestingly, they often use lighting from Original BTC, which is where the ’plain Jane’ lights I posted initially are from.

I was really stressing about getting some lights as I’d been struggling to pin down the electrician for a date to come and do the second fix, have finally got him booked in and the pendants are the only thing we dont have. We can wait for them though - as long as he connects up all the other stuff I’ll be happy!

I will come back and update you…

• barncatz
    last year

Went to original BTC - they have some very nice pendants! I hope you do come back and show us. And hope you get a nap squeezed in.

Does this shape do anything for you?

Or this?

Helen Williams thanked barncatz
  • kl23
    last year

Well I look forward to seeing the progression and the finished kitchen. Feeling misunderstood is common even within countries. I am glad to connect with you.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    last year

I struggle with the blush cabinets with your flooring. I'm seeing a down right clash of color there.. Also because the blush color is fleeting. What if you kept your cabinets the green and then just did large dome lighting in the pink with a constrasing metal (brushed gold) in their interior. I say gold because it is a great compliment to nickel and the green and blush colors you've chosen. I would do two large dome lights in brushed gold and have the outside of them sprayed in the blush color.

Helen Williams thanked Design Interior South
  • kl23
    last year

OK, I just have to say that I once had a gorgeous cat who came close to embodying your color scheme. He was a ginger tabby. His fur was caramel and cream, and the pink showed through on his nose and mouth, ear tips, paws, and "pretty parts". He had glittering green eyes. He was gorgeous and he knew it. Also caramel and pink are beautiful together in many seashells. And your daughter with her gorgeous caramel-red hair and pink lips is another beautiful embodiment of these colors. I support your blush choice as long as you do. I look forward to seeing the results.

• Helen Williams
    Original Author
    last year

K L, your cat sounds gorgeous!

The quartzite is now in, and I love it although it’s a darker grey than i was expecting, under artificial light at least. I still like the Setting Plaster with it, but not so sure about the Duck Green now. Photos compare Light Blue with Setting Plaster, and Duck Green with Bancha and Inchyra Blue. It’s getting dark here now though so need to see it all in daylight.

Design Interior South, interesting ideas. I’m going to read through everything again with fresh eyes!

• Helen Williams
    Original Author
    last year

I’m still not seeing the clash with the flooring - I and my parents have had wood or wood effect floors in every house we’ve ever lived in, and I struggle to see it as anything other than neutral.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

For what it is worth??

Better by FAR than plaster. Better with your flooring as well. Do the whole thing: ) Yes, the island too

Bring the pink in.....in lighting

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

The tone of the wood, which has a pale and golden tone, makes ME perceive the plaster as quite sallow, or a bit dingy. It;s jmho.....and if it doesn't bother you? Then it is of course your home not mine. Even the strength of the counter "gray' , washes plaster out. It is just what I see.

Every wood tone has a complement. ......in color. An okay....good.....better....best..... or maybe not the best

• Helen Williams
    Original Author
    last year

Jan, you might be right! I admit to also being influenced by feeling blue has been done to death in kitchens, at least in the UK.

i forgot to add the last picture:

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Hate to say it's fab with the green The duck. Love the baby poo too........but we know the issue with THAT : )

I know what I see after 30 plus years. Like it or not, that many years gives me a decent chance at being......well, "Right" a lot more often than I am dead wrong.

It's not about being right, it's about not having to re paint the kitchen.

Try to remember I lived thru the mauve/gray 1980's USA (wah). SO....PLASTER........not so much for me hahahhaah

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

green smoke?? that could be a nice compromise - no poo in sight

• Helen Williams
    Original Author
    last year

That flowerpot light! I love those, especially in pink or mustard. However my husband really doesn’t 🙄

I almost ordered a tester of green smoke too when i got the others, but I felt it was more of an ’all over’ colour and I was set on a contrasting island. In fact the reason I’ve got so attached to the pink is that I originally wanted a light neutral for the perimeter units, but was struggling to find anything to go with that grey surface without everything getting super grey all over, a look I’m not keen on.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

@barncatz those pendants are amazing.

• kl23
    last year

Oh I love the grey countertops!

• H D
    last year

I thought about your gorgeous kitchen when I read the article below about Willem de Kooning’s painting “Door to the River”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/interactive/2022/willem-de-kooning-door-to-river/

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

" A light neutral" could be a soft white. Wood and paint are different animals!! You can't get a pale white oak in paint. : )

Plaster really ISN'T pink. It isn't a great neutral, hence your struggle.

Farrow and Ball is noted for rich "off" shades, .......but they are, without their real brights? Pretty traditionally muted! Complex! A bit grayed out.

You're trying to keep two feet in a mid cent boat and one in tradition. Simultaneously. Colors, lights. all. And then there is hubby.......and you are deciding with every element chosen in a bit of isolation from another. Making harmony difficult in many aspects lol.

England isn't the Mediterranean, nor the California coast. Two places where the strong warm light and the nature allow a vibrancy in color, not generally found in the UK......unless in the garden. Even then? Few bougainvillea, that may adorn plaster white homes on your shore........

My point is the more muted UK....and the stretch to pastel or brighter mid cen.

Every color has a silent "message'. Nature and art? More forgiving than any room.

With Designers Guild rug

• cindylouhoog
    last year

Jan Moyer, a very sophisticated color combination! I have lots of green in my kitchen and just spray painted my cookbook reading chair aubergine, a new color from Rust-oleum. That pendant is fabulous! I wouldn’t have to think twice about any of your choices. Very unique!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

@ Helen

"I almost ordered a tester of green smoke too when i got the others, but I felt it was more of an ’all over’ colour and I was set on a contrasting island. In fact the reason I’ve got so attached to the pink is that I originally wanted a light neutral for the perimeter units, but was struggling to find anything to go with that grey surface without everything getting super grey all over, a look I’m not keen on"

Mmmmmm. Green smoke IS a great all over color. Maybe you didn't plan it, but then you didn't plan the counters to be quite as deeply gray as they are .

They aren't coming off........so go with them. White is a color: ) green smoke could be the island

Or...be brave. A plummy island , and let green smoke do the "all over" thing.

• What neither of you may realize is one truth that applies to all rooms:.
    • You don't/won't have to love every single element in any space, equally, to love the WHOLE. That paint, that light, that particular whatever. It's the whole. : )
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Ha! It is also fact, ( trust me on this ) You can looooove !!!! every individual selection, and hate the whole. Don't believe it? Scroll these dilemmas......for any space. So....maybe...it's right there. Get even braver??

The perimeter is Brinjal. The island is Green Smoke. The pendants...your pink/plum whatever. More rooms have "died" from a lack of courage than anything else. Who knew the counters could be so strong and bossy?:) Add more strength. Then? Wear pink. Cashmere especially.

• RedRyder
    last year

I think @Jan Moyer gave you a stunning combination that is unique and elegant.

• Y
    last year

Apologies to hijack the thread but - @JAN MOYER - could you advise which light fixture this is )(from one of your post son here) and if it's available in say a milky white or an light green shade? If you have a link to a retailer, I would really appreciate that!

And @Helen Williams -- GOOD LUCK with the kitchen and navigating hubby :). Regardless of what you pick, your space looks gorgeous!

Helen Williams thanked Y
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

@ Y

Who asked on light. Lumens

• Y
    last year

@JAN MOYER thank you so much!

• wiseca9
    last year

I like the idea of a light fixture that is more modern/transitional...how about this light. I ordered 2 with a round bulb (DVLG40MC30A) instead of a long bulb from BUILD.COM and I get many compliments on them.

https://www.build.com/product/summary/1650914?uid=3909094&jmtest=gg-gbav2_3909094&inv=1&&source=gg-gba-pla_3909094!c1710655145!a67979306878!dc!ng&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv5-wkbLe-gIVP8qUCR2_JAYKEAQYASABEgIgSPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

(click to enlarge)

Helen Williams thanked wiseca9
Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm