Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshua_mattson

Soil Test Questions and Amendments

Josg Maggsib
last year

Hello,

I recently received my soil test results from the local university. My soil has a ph of 5.4. My soil is very high in Phosphorous, over 100 ppm, which I have heard is common for my area due to heavy use of fertilizers in the past. I just bought my house. Potassium is about 47 ppm. My soil is coarse and about 4% organic matter.

My question is, what are the best organic amendments to my garden soil to ensure healthy roses? I was told to get 15-0-40 fertilizer. As well, there is a recommendation to add 22lbs of lime per 100 square feet. What does this mean, and why is this recommended? I would appreciate any additional advice for healthy soils.

Comments (9)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    last year

Where are you located?

• Josg Maggsib
    Original Author
    last year

Zone 4 twin cities

last year

I gardened in St. Peter, Minnesota in my youth growing roses. What I might do if I were you is get Rose Tone organic fertilizer and use it according to directions and consider compost and horse manure also in efforts to build your soil. The lime is recommended to improve your ph toward 6.5 or so which is ideal for roses. You could add these now and let them percolate over the winter. Your soil is currently a little more acid and you would be trying to head it a bit more neutral.

15-0-40 granular fertilizer does not really feed your soil as well as the organic fertilizers would. It would give repeat bloomers a boost. The 0 would be to avoid adding more phosphorus which you have an excess of. Good luck Josg.

• Josg Maggsib
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you, but doesn’t rose time have phosphorous?

• strawchicago z5
    last year
    last modified: last year

Josg Maggsib Rose Tone NPK is 4-3-2 with chicken manure. The problem with chicken manure: phosphorus can be 10 times higher than what's stated on the bag due to accumulated phosphorus in stockpiled yard of manure. There's a published study on this.

I burnt plenty of roses with high phosphorus chicken manure. Phosphorus burns (from manure) shows up as leaf-burns first.

For that reason, Lilly Miller fertilizer switched from FAST-RELEASED phosphorus in chicken manure to slow-released chemical phosphorus.

I agree with the recommendation of "15-0-40 fertilizer. plus 22lbs of lime per 100 square feet."

Check the bag of fertilizer, if it says potassium chloride or muriate of potash, then STAY AWAY since its salt-index is 116.2. It's the same salt that I use to de-ice my sidewalk in zone 5a.

If it says sulfate of potash. then it's a natural mined mineral at low-salt index of 43. OK to buy.

High phosphorus soil suppresses potassium and nitrogen, thus the logic of adding high potassium, and decent nitrogen. Nitrogen is retained better if your soil has more organic matter.

Calcium in lime suppresses the release of phosphorus in soil, plus dolomitic lime has 10% magnesium to glue soil into a smooth texture like clay. The calcium in dolomitic lime will raise the pH of your soil from 5.4 to neutral pH at 7.

From my soil booklet, the recommended rate of organic matter is 5% for soil, so you need just a bit more organic matter than at 4%. Leaves decomposes to alkaline pH, so that's a good choice.

Josg Maggsib thanked strawchicago z5
  • strawchicago z5
    last year

Josg Maggsib Rose Tone NPK is 4-3-2 with chicken manure, it's the RATIO of phosphorus to nitrogen & potassium that matter. Phosphorus mobility is a 1, nitrogen mobility is a 10, and potassium moblity is a 3 according to NOBLE PLANT foundation. Phosphorus DOES NOT LEACH OUT.

It's well known that manure and commercial compost are high in phosphorus,

Jim in PA with soil high in phosphorus made his own compost with grass clippings and leaves.

Check out this article by University of Minnesota on Mature application methods and nitrogen losses, which explains why manure, esp. horse manure, is NOT a good source of nitrogen:

Manure application methods and nitrogen losses | UMN Extension

Check out below article on how phosphorus can build up with mushroom compost at NPK 1.1/0.39/1.3, or only 0.39 phosphorus.

Too Much of a Good Thing: Compost Brings Phosphorus Challenges to Red Earth Farm - Pasa Sustainable Agriculture (pasafarming.org)

An excerpt from above link: "Phosphorus does not generally percolate through the soil like nitrogen and other nutrients; instead, it binds tightly to soil minerals. Therefore, phosphorus is primarily lost from soils through surface runoff. Erosion is clearly not a sustainable solution to excessive phosphorus. Excessive phosphorus can also significantly weaken crop vigor. At ppm levels in the high hundreds or thousands, depending on soil type and crop, phosphorous can inhibit a plant’s uptake of iron and zinc. Deficiencies in these micronutrients can inhibit growth or increase susceptibility to pests."

Check out below link on phosphorus accumulation in animal manures:

Managing Phosphorus from Animal Manure | Oklahoma State University (okstate.edu)

From the web: " Excess phosphorus, primarily in runoff from land application of manure, accounts for about 66 percent of impaired conditions of U.S. rivers and has created large areas of eutrophication—dead zones—in the Chesapeake Bay and the Gulf of Mexico, where aquatic life cannot survive. Nutrient pollution is one of America's most widespread, costly and challenging environmental problems, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. "

Josg Maggsib thanked strawchicago z5
  • Josg Maggsib
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for the information. If compost is high in phosphorous, should I not be amending my soil with that? What would be an alternative option? This is turning out to be a complicated topic !

last year

I think compost is a wonderful soil amendment everywhere. You could call U of M and ask if their expert thinks it would be good. I have an M.D. from U of M and I know they have a great Ag college department.