Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_918119203

Unlacquered brass hardware - long term experiences?

HU-918119203
last year
last modified: last year

Hi all, considering unlacquered brass hardware for my kitchen. I love the concept of an authentic, living finish, but it's hard to find real-life photos of how the hardware ages. I'm told, for example, that frequently-used hardware will remain fairly shiny, while seldom-used hardware will darken. And hardware that's exposed to moisture will age differently than hardware that's in a dry location.

Interested in any real-life photos that show how these different aging patterns look in a real-life kitchen!

Comments (13)

• kiniyagirl
    last year

Here is a photo of 1 of the unlacquered brass door knobs in my house. You can see that the knob which is used multiple times a day is very shiny, while the backplate is much darker. Even on the knob there is a difference between the sections that are raised and in direct contact with the skin vs the areas that are more recessed.

• darbuka
    last year

@kiniyagirl, that is one awesome looking door! Would love to see the entirety, if you wouldn’t mind posting a pic? What a spectacular doorknob!

• chispa
    last year

I would be fine with that finish and patina ... my mother would be polishing it every day to keep it as shiny as the day it was made!

• PRO
    User
    last year

Anyone who was ever in the Navy could tell you all about the polishing of brass to keep it bright! It is a punishment detail.

• roarah
    last year

I like patina so leave mine alone but not for everyone.

• M Miller
    last year

@HU-918119203 - when you say "hardware", you are talking about cabinet hardware, correct? I.e. pulls, knobs, hinges? In case you are also looking at faucets in unlacquered brass, here are pics from the Perrin & Rowe website. For me, I really like the photos posted in the comments above, they are lovely, but I don't want to think about polishing anything, and I don't like patina for my own home. I just like enjoying them in other people's homes. Just make sure you know which is your preference.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

If you can live with the patina, go for it. Pretty certain you won't be polishing that brass on a regular basis. :-)

Otherwise, get a matte or satin brass finish. It will have a similar feeling with no upkeep.

• kiniyagirl
    last year
    last modified: last year

@darbuka - here are some photos of that door. You can’t really see the leaded glass very well in the daytime, but in the evening the light just sparkles through it. The door is original to the house which was built in 1896.

• darbuka
    last year

@kiniyagirl, stunning! Thanks for sharing.😊

• HU-918119203
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks all! These are helpful. Yes, I am referring to kitchen cabinet hardware. I'm familiar with how unlacquered brass looks in the abstract, but I haven't seen any photos of a kitchen with unlacquered brass cabinet hardware reflecting all the different types of patina you'd expect to see in a kitchen (from shiny heavily used knobs to darkened rarely used ones, etc.).

• hhireno
    last year

@kiniyagirl that door is swoon-worthy. Lucky you.

• roarah
    last year

All hardware in my photos are from the kitchen doors and china cabinet and are used every day.

• Helen
    last year

I have vintage brass door knobs. My mother snagged the New York City School ones when she was teaching in New York and the old school building was modernized. They just hung out in a drawer for years along with the two knobs that are just a plain brass. I have no idea where she acquired them but I can remember all of them being in a drawer for at least fifty years.

When I remodeled I used them for my interior closets. I have never polished them or did anything so any kind of finish is due to earlier fingers creating a patina.

They go with the other hardware in my home which is a mix of oiled bronze (new), copper with a living finish so it has patinas and a vintge Neo-Gothic chandelier which was originally probaby shiny brass but is now a very dull patina - which is fine with me.

I also have some vintage knobs for my bathrooms and bedroom door which are Art Deco and which I had replated to be an dark finish - probably close to oil rubbed bronze as I liked the style but they were a more standard silver finish.

Pictures aren't great because metal is hard for me to photograph