Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_769502233

Black or gold hardware on beadboard cabinets in this kitchen?

Kate Spadaro
11 months ago
last modified: 11 months ago

We just bought a 2006 build with tons of beadboard cabinets which we do not love but hope will look better if painted white (possibly chantilly lace). *all walls will be painted white/offwhite as well* They are currently cream colors and painted to look distressed, and have no hardware. For the ones in the kitchen, black hardware will likely look best but I prefer to not look like a modern farmhouse and fear I’ll go down a path of black finishes everywhere (light fixtures, furniture, etc etc.). Any advice on adding gold harware? How will it look with this dark 2006 granite and travertine backsplash? I would appreciate any images/inspiration.

Comments (14)

• Kendrah
    11 months ago

I'm a Steelers fan so I seriously suggest both black and gold.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    11 months ago

I wouldn't use gold, as the cabinets are a casual look and gold says "glam" to me. I'd use black or a very dark oil-rubbed bronze, in a flat or matte finish. You could also go with stainless steel or brushed nickel.

• Ashley
    11 months ago

Gold! Black is trendy. Plus, I love gold.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 months ago

Don't fight the travertine, or the beadboard, or the granite.

All below would be just fine

Pewter, Black nickel,.............etc to German Bronze.

A "gold" would need to be a very, very burnished brass tone as above, and stick to a knob.

ONE STOP SHOPPING RIGHT HERE......all the finishes- as you can see, its not a one or the other question : ) Love the antique pewter, btw.

https://www.myknobs.com/pdp/somersetm281/normanm596-1/top-knobs-mushroom-1-1-4-diameter-mushroom-knob-in-patine-black

• herbflavor
    11 months ago

17 year old original builder cabinets better left as is. Options if this were mine would be simple hardware and place an interesting backsplash for more visual focus and live with this space. Problem is the age of cabinetry .....and the style w no drawers .... yet substantial amount of cabinetry means expensive to do a full remodel , yet not cheap to paint either. I would think of an "editing approach" .....meaning maybe 1.remove some wall cabinets or 2. get glass doors on some or 3. paint an area only to keep costs down...like island .

beautiful tile backsplashes while keeping the cabinet finish [blue walls staying?].....simple hardware.

Artisan Azul Decor Ceramic Floor and Wall Tile · More Info

Faenza Azul Ceramic Floor and Wall Tile · More Info

Amerock Galleria Satin Nickel Arch Bar Pull 3 3/4" ( 96mm ) · More Info

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 months ago

Please don't mess with back splash and more.......until you are ready to get the long term kitchen you want. The counters are the dictator to the splash behind.

If that's a long way off? Paint the cupboards, and it needn't BE white, btw....add the hardware and save for the future kitchen. You're going to cook, eat. You won't die in the wait for what you want .

• Maureen
    11 months ago

Suggest waiting until cabinets are painted so you get a better grasp on how kitchen feels. Test different metals, shapes and consider using two styles. If you need help imagining, look for on line inspiration and articles can help. https://www.tidbits-cami.com/kitchen-hardware/

• circonium
    11 months ago

I think painting the walls is going to make a big difference and I would do that before making a decision on painting the cabinets. The blue is so dramatic with the cabinets, and it brings out a peachy tone in the wood. I would look at whites that have a peachy undertone to help neutralize that peachiness. I used BM Lychee (it's a white with a pink tone) in a room with similar tile and it made the tile look more neutral and updated. Navajo White might not be exactly what you want, but I would look at paint colors in that family.

• arcy_gw
    11 months ago

Your question about metal for hardware is the cart before the horse, as the responses show. Come back later after you have the rest done.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    11 months ago

The cabinets do not suit gold hardware and I do not love black on white cabinets and if you don't like the cabinets to start why bring the eye to them all the time. Simple stainlees to work with the appliances would be my choice and maybe just all knobs to work with the beadboard.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 months ago

The pewter I gave you above is perfect with cabinets and appliances. More suited to the bead board, not as ordinary as stainless, not as harsh as black. Richer in fact

• ci_lantro
    11 months ago

I agree that the walls should be painted first. Then decide about the cabinets. If the existing cabinet finish is in good condition, I wouldn't suggest painting them.

I would not use either black or gold hardware. Black is too much contrast/ too harsh IMO and gold is too formal/ glam for beadboard. Something silver like the aforementioned pewter. Or gunmetal (Amerock Blackrock pull in gunmetal):

• Kate Spadaro
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thanks for all of this feedback! It does sound like we are putting the cart before the horse but I was hoping to get a headstart on ordering a table, bar stools, light fixtures, hardware, etc. and I can't decide if all of that should lean more toward black or toward gold (a burnished brassy gold, not super bright and glam). We were at the house yesterday but the painting won't be done until mid-June, and I was hoping not to wait until then to make decisions because we may have to wait a while for furniture pieces to arrive, etc. We plan to move in on July 2nd. I see many suggestions to stick with the silver/chrome family but we really don't want that look throughout the house (we've had that in our rental apt for 6 years!). Since we plan to lighten up all of the walls, I was hoping it would look something like these pictures:

Happy for any other feedback!

• Kate Spadaro
    Original Author
    11 months ago

I should also add that we were at the house yesterday and held up a few examples of hardware colors (not necessarily the right styles) and are still very torn. Put against a white chair since our cabinets would be white.

Also, our house is almost an exact replica of this house (same builder, same year) which we saw listed last summer and we absolutely loved -- though maybe now their cabinets seem more cream colored I suppose.