Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
devon_carberry90

Am I Too Old To Decorate?

Devon Carberry
9 months ago

At 81, moved cross country five or six times, so have experience redecorating. But...this time when it seems it will be the last of all my nests, my efforts have failed.

The first picture is what my goal is, dramatic but comfortable.

The others are what I’ve purchased, and for which there is much remorse.

For now, new lamps and side tables have not yet been decided.

The fireplace with three mirror panels will have to be painted or wall papered or a combination.

Drapes are on order: pale grey/beige/white tweed for both the window and the front, east facing slider.

The rug is wool/silk and that thrilled me, but now I either love it or hate it. The couch was purchased from a picture, and it’s wrong. What I wanted was white and maybe slip-covered.

Should I start over? Is there any way to sweeten it up?

Your thoughts are eagerly welcomed.

Comments (66)

• ShadyWillowFarm
    9 months ago

The original room has a dark rug on a dark floor, you have a lighter orange floor with the same rug, and it makes the rug feel like a heavy blob in the middle of the room. Your chairs and some accessories are also orange/pink, adding to the warmth of the room instead of the brightness. The original room uses blues and whites,with just the one accent chair expressing a warm color. If you are not going with blue and white, change your rug to something that coordinates better with your furniture and accessories.

• Ruth
    9 months ago

You are never too old to decorate!

• Mary Grable
    9 months ago

The rocker and the lamps are a big misstep. The rocker has a colonial feel to it (even if it is black). Nothing in your inspiration picture suggests colonial style. The lamps are too matchy-matchy, and don’t work in the space. Everything else that you have is very workable! I think that you will be able to pull off the look that you’re going for, with a little fine tuning. You can do this!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    9 months ago

Do not fear! You should get what you want at this point in your life. Just a few adjustments and we can get you there. I think great suggestions here on lamps and chairs. I would try removing those end cushions/pillows from the sofa and we can gather pillow ideas with your color palette and rug in mind. Be back tomorrow! Going to be fun.

• btydrvn
    9 months ago

Your inspiration pic has very dominant vertical lines.. I would start by integrating those kind of features.. architecturally…to create the right foundation for your preferred look…

• kl23
    9 months ago

My guess is that the mirrored wall helps make the space feel bigger in addition to bouncing the natural light from the sliders into the room. An object or ceiling to floor drapery panel at the interior edge would soften it and enhance the illusion.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    9 months ago

You're never too old ! To even think that your personal space shouldn't make you happy at ANY age is absurd!

That said? It's time to back up a bit. I'd get some local help via a designer and go one on one.

Why? Fifty or more helpful souls will chime in here, all incredibly well intended! I could too, but I am not going to begin saying.... get this, get something like......here's a pillow, why not this or that.

It makes too much noise, can go on for years ( trust me on this lol ) and you may indeed live to 105, but there's a point where you just want a lovely space that makes you happy, and yes, fairly soon.

Get some help. Decide with that person what MUST remain, do you want a white slip cover for the sofa ? She can arrange custom! Do you a.d.o.r.e the rug? Or not? (I don't but that is because it feels too dark and heavy for your space, so consider that my only contribution )

Which is the point, yes? Everyone will have an opinion. You don't need "everyone" you need only two voices. Yours...................and a pro you select: )

It's a lot less expensive than a space you do not love.

• housegal200
    9 months ago

Never too old to get a Houzz lecture: must provide photos from all four corners of a space! Why? Layout is the first step to redecorating, not pillows, not rugs. So with your back to sliding doors, take a couple photos of the rest of your wonderful space.

Here's where your age has already helped: you have big plants out on your balcony/patio. Very often younger folks come on Houzz asking help for the interior but have a honking three-bedroom grill right outside the sliding glass door! Consider your balcony an extension of your living room and "decorate" that accordingly.

• freedomplace1
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

Your taste and style is very elegant and sophisticated. I love all your choices. I think you could be a design contributor here on these Houzz forums - although i would not recommend doing that, because it is super aggravating. (Ask me how I know. ;)

You don’t need a decorator/designer. But I agree that if you want some input on your design ideas, you would be better off if you work with one person - versus a gazillion random opinions such as you will get here on this site. And if you do decide to work with a decorator /designer, definitely go with someone who totally understands your style and choices, and who can just put some finishing touches to what you already have.

Congratulations on your new place. :)

• liasch
    9 months ago

I’m inclined to agree about finding one person to work with. You have a lot of nice things and a great sense of style and there’s lots of potential here. However it’s also a fairly complex problem with many variables. This forum really works best for somewhat simple problem(S).You’re going to be moving things around a lot and making decisions about what to keep and what to reject. It’s difficult to get a perspective using photographs. However you’re never too old, as Jan says, to want to have a comfortable and beautiful living space so go for it!

• Devon Carberry
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Your comments are supportive and I will look for someone to work with (who gets it). If nothing else it will help calm me down. Consigners are coming next week to take a bunch of things, including the lamps and rocking chair. Valinta, I like the idea of removing everything but the couch, rug and chairs - and starting fresh. Drapes from Crate & Barrel are ordered: light grey, beige, black.

I like softening the mirrors with drapes, suggested by K L.

I agree, the terraces are part of the room Housegal200.

And Hazwe, a lovely ceiling lamp - it's in the closet ready to be hung.

Here are photos that inspire me.

• kl23
    9 months ago

@Devon Carberry I don't think it's a bad thing to continue to post here too. I for one am interested in your journey. You don't know me, so you can feel free to ignore me if you don't like my suggestions. 😁 

If you want to choose a color scheme for your entire space, I recently  started this post: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6392803/great-how-to-articles-on-whole-house-color-schemes 

I was going to ask if you plan to keep your pink chairs and make that part of your color scheme. Your first inspiration picture has some color in it, but your more recent ones use contrasting neutrals. That's why I ask about your color preferences.

Devon Carberry thanked kl23
  • Sambad Huma
    9 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

Looks like you’re off to a great start to your dramatic living room. :)

• olychick
    9 months ago

I love some of the elements of your room; it's going to be beautiful!
    The first thing that struck me was the sofa facing the mirrored wall. People always mention no one liking to watch themselves eat (regarding mirrors in dining rooms), but I don't think anyone is going to feel comfortable staring back at themselves from the couch into the mirror.
    I would try re-orienting the furniture so the sofa has its back to the mirror, with the chairs facing each other at the sides or side by side facing the windows.
    Place the tv on the opposite wall next to the sliding door. I've seen some great DIY ideas for updating mirrored walls by adding grid lines, either with tape or paint or wood trim pieces (or hire someone to do it, if you like the look). You could then put a beautiful console table where the sofa is now with your lovely artwork above it. You can enjoy looking at it and at the reflection of it in the mirror. And look how fabulous the light fixture looks times two! I also like in one of these pics where there is a sofa table between the sofa and the mirrored wall, so no one is backed up directly to the mirror.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    9 months ago

Any chance you could post room measurements? Length of sofa? I can do a scale layout for you to be a first step in getting an optimum layout. If you don’t have “furniture sliders” get some. Lowes and Home Depot have them and they make moving furniture a breeze with no back injuries! Also available on Amazon. I know there are a caro of opinions on mirrored walls but with the right layout and accessories I think they can be made fabulous! Love to help in anyway that works for you.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    9 months ago

I would keep pink chairs for now if the large art works with them. I would keep one floor lamp and we can change shade to a black hade with gold foil liner. I am seeing the sofa flipped to in front of the mirrors with a long somewhat long, narrow black frame with glass top sofa table behind the sofa. Then the art on opposite wall reflecting into mirrors with pink chairs angled to each other in front of art wall. A pair of great lamps on sofa table and a stack of great books with sone sort of beautiful sculpture on top of books. One floor lamp on one end of pink chair wall. Big cozy pillows on sofa picking up a tiger or leopard look for that exotic/chic look. A “curated” look and possibly bringing in elements from your travels for accessories. I call it “shopping in your house!” A coffee table and possibly that small chair by other window on mirror wall and restyle cushion picking up black and gold theme of your color palette. Cozy but also chic. So beautiful! Hold off on drapery until main layout is decided. 😊

• njmomma
    9 months ago

No matter how you choose to decorate, please continue to post. I love watching the process.

• Olychick
    9 months ago

Re: moving furniture yourself. If you don't have help, for years I have moved all kinds of heavy furniture by folding a bathroom rug (a rubberized backing works well, the rubberized sides folded together) and placing one under two legs of a couch so the couch or chair or chest is easily pushed along the floor. If the furniture is too heavy to lift onto a folded rug, just put the rubberized side up. The legs will stick to it and the fabric side will slide easily on the floor. You can do the same with thick folded towels, if you want one under each leg instead of just under the two you are pushing. It's kind of like pushing a wheelbarrow. Saves your back and your floors.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    9 months ago

Here is rough sketch of how I see your main area looking. Mauve/pink (beautiful) chairs on right as you face slider wall. Sofa on left with sofa table against mirror wall. Art on wall between chairs. It and single floor lamp on right side. It reflects into mirrors. Plant in corner near slider. By repeating black in sone lamp shades and pillows you will integrate your rug cohesively. Hope you can see this working and you probably need to assess what other miscellaneous items fit into this scheme if any?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    9 months ago

Position patio with planters or garden bench seat outside to creat pretty view and extend feeling of the room. You could put indoor outdoor drapery panels and a rug out there too that coordinates with your indoor room.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    9 months ago

Just putting some further ideas together for you.

• kl23
    9 months ago

I concur with @olychick on placing the sofa against the wall with the mirror. My parents had a mirrored wall in their beach-front condominium living room. It was narrow because of the beach. So it was common to have a mirrored wall reflecting light and a view of the beach into the kitchen and entryway. It made the room feel so much bigger than it really was. And the sofa was along the mirrored wall. The one chair was closest to the beach was in the corner opposite the mirror and had an ottoman. There was a kitchen/dining room table between the kitchen and living room. It was a comfy setup for a three generation beach vacation.

• dianabythelocks
    9 months ago

Following...

• tracefloyd
    9 months ago

Sorry but I hate the dark rug. I hate animal pelt prints, too, and the rug reminds me of that. But it's just so gloomy looking.

• liasch
    9 months ago

I actually like the dark rug and the animal prints together, it’s very rich and sophisticated looking and you have lots of light in the space so I think it can handle it. But it’s entirely up to you. I wouldn’t replace the rug until you’ve really played around with the space. You’re going to get a lot of different opinions on here! But sometimes that’s valuable.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    9 months ago

I am curious about the black item in corner on mirror wall. What is that? Are you too frustrated to come back here? Too stressed? Hope you can return. You have all the bones for a great room(s) so hoping you are OK?

• olychick
    9 months ago

Maybe she”s busy or overwhelmed by certain people who keep posting and posting and posting before getting any feedback. Sometimes it looks WAY too pushy and desperate to be theONE she must listen to. I’d want to say BACK OFF and give me some breathing room.

• happyleg
    9 months ago

U could get a console table at window on left instead of the small table.

• tracefloyd
    9 months ago

Thank you Paul for the correction on light color...my bad.

• Devon Carberry
    Original Author
    9 months ago

KL, looked at your blog. Your colors are somewhat similar to mine. I do want to add something that is not jarring and works with black/brown/beige/greige. Seems would be a midnight green or purple. The drapes, which will bring vertical line, are grey,black,beige. Interested in something horizontal to go across top of slider and window to give a more polished/finished sense. The fireplace mirror wall is three panels. Looking into keeping the center panel and painting/wallpapering/peel&stick tiles for the two side panels. Have lamps and side tables on order, black and clear plexi. Will follow your blog to keep pace with your direction.

Great, thoughtful comments from so many. I'm very grateful.

• Devon Carberry
    Original Author
    9 months ago

I'm back again. Sorry, weekend company - family of four. And leaving this week for symposium on east coast.

Thrilled with Flo Mangan's drawings and concept. Really hadn't considered sofa on mirror wall, but can see that opens new vistas. Also like using the deck as a visual extension. Consigners will pick up furniture this week and grandson will take other things for his house early September. That will give me space in the place and in the mind. Yoohoo!

• kl23
    9 months ago

@Devon Carberry thank you for helping me with my color journey. You may also enjoy helping me with this project, because I am going to put to test those whole-house color scheme approaches. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6363270/upstairs-renovation-3-bedrooms-3-bathrooms-hall-closet

I am doing a lot of preparing at the moment and will need to relocate a LOT of our "stuff". I feel like I have stumbled on a great way to declutter while focusing on passing treasures to the next generation. I recorded the ideas in that post above. You are just enough ahead of me that I bet you could ground-truth my ideas.

• kl23
    9 months ago

@Devon Carberry I am having trouble with the idea of a fireplace. I don't see where it is, unless it is behind the picture on the floor. If so, and it's a real working fireplace that you will keep, I guess we cannot be putting a sofa on that wall! Haha. Two chairs on either side would feel cozy, with the sofa opposite as you already have it. It sounds like you will keep the mirror above the fireplace.

I'm also trying to determine if you are keeping the pink chairs or if you are reaphilstering or replacing them. They look like a very nice style.

So far your decor includes: white sofa, black and gold area rug, black and glass tables, black/grey/beige draperies, black lamps. Or are the shades black with a gold lining? I like some caramel that @Flo Mangan used to keep the black and white from looking to stark or dusty. You mentioned using either deep green or purple. With the caramel added, you could include a dark eggplant purple as a complement to the gold and caramel. Or you could have both eggplant and dark green to convert the gold/caramel into a sort of triadic color scheme. I think more colors makes it look like a person isn't trying too hard. So I like both aubergine/eggplant AND green to work with the gold/caramel semi-neutrals and maybe some wood? You could even have both a deep dark evergreen that you mentioned plus a tiny jolt of glossy chartreuse, perhaps as trim on something evergreen...never know...just keeping an open mind and trying not to make it look like you tried too hard by limiting to one type of green when nature is full of so many that our minds tend to accept multiple greens in one space.

With what elements were you thinking you would add these colors? You already have area rug, drapes, sofa and lamps. So does that mean you will reupholster or replace the chairs? But you mentioned you might replace the area rug and sofa. But even if you replace the sofa it will be white?

So dark colors look sumptuous in reflective or textured materials. You could reupholster the chairs in a velvet dark aubergine (by the way, aubergine is a much better search term than eggplant when seeking decor 😳). Or they could be your dark green or a print with one or both? Or are you thinking of painting/papering/tiling one or more walls using these colors? I'm toying with the idea of using millwork to quadrant off my living room from the two surrounding spaces (dining and entry) so I can paint the ceiling to go with the floor to create the up and down eye movement that would make my room look taller. But I have NO focal point in my living room, so I have to create one in the conversation area. Just some ideas. You have a nice focal point with your view outside plus maybe a fireplace? So I don't know how you might feel about color on the ceiling. I'm guessing it won't be an option because it connects to other rooms? But you seem open to color on the mirror/fireplace wall as an accent with perhaps colored drapery panels as borders?

Just trying to throw ideas out there to see what sounds like you. Looking forward to your feedback after your symposium. Safe travels!

• kl23
    9 months ago

@Devon Carberry I rooted around in your ideabooks and see many pictures that help me better understand what you like. It seems you want the fireplace/mirror wall to be a focal point, and you want to incorporate the view outside in your design. A tip I got from one HOUZZ story I read (I think) was to use a dark color on a wall with windows or sliders so that your eye looks right past the wall to seek the view beyond. Another tip was to make the dark color in the same color family as something that you would see outdoors year-round, even if it was patio furniture. So, for example I see a dark chair and some hoesplants out on the patio. What color is the chair? And did you know there are some dark purple-leaved houseplants?

Devon Carberry thanked kl23
  • justcallmepool
    9 months ago

I'm still reading the comments from the past few days, but wanted to call out @olychik

I 've done similar! used a long beach towel or blanket under something and then pulled the towel across the floor. My favorite was moving a large awkward heavy tv box into my duplex when I was single. I backed the car up to the front steps and used my closed ironing board as a ramp to slide the box into my house. I still think that was so smart of me :)

I think as women we have always found ingenious ways to get stuff done! Without strong muscles we've had to use our brains to find other ways. This is one reason I've always believed women should be involved in typical "male" activities like the military, etc. We naturally think of alternative ways to do things!

back to reading

• justcallmepool
    9 months ago

okay I finished reading and now annoyed at olychik for that weird comment. Nobody is forcing their opinion.

I love the rug! I think it is gorgeous and fabulous. And I dislike almost every rug I see haha

I wouldn't get rid of that!

• Missy Bee
    9 months ago

KL where are those chairs from? Love them!

• kl23
    9 months ago

@Missy Bee I googled aubergine velvet chair and liked this one: https://www.crateandbarrel.com/alex-bordeaux-velvet-accent-chair/s131133

And saw this one from the same source:

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/sculpt-velvet-accent-chair/s176191

Both come in multiple colors. Don't you just want to touch them? I hope I find a way to get some velvet in the house. ☺️

• Amanda Smith
    9 months ago

Following…

• Susan Davis
    9 months ago

oooh such a cool refresh.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    9 months ago

Oh Devon - so glad to see you back! Sounds like you are on a roll and have some good plans for moving forward. Let us know when you are ready to proceed. It is a very exciting space and your concepts are delightful, chic and quite refreshing!!

• justcallmepool
    9 months ago

Agree Flo! We need some new rooms on here :)

• olychick
    8 months ago

Looks wonderful!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    8 months ago

I love that pendant. Very chic and cool!! An deep red/blue would be lovely with your other pieces. Guess you answered your own question! Never too old to have great looking and feeling home. That is a killer view too! Thanks for sharing developments as you progress!

• kl23
    8 months ago

Here are the draperies:

• kl23
    8 months ago

@Devon Carberry I LOVE that light! Perfect for the organic glam look I am trying for at home.

• kl23
    8 months ago

@Devon Carberry for the spark of something else to go with aubergine, I wonder if you could build on the gold by introducing an olive green and chartreuse. Not my favorite colors alone, but it might be just the thing to tie the aubergine and gold together. I'm thinking maybe in accessories. Another option is the pink chairs. They look more mauve to flesh in some of these pictures. Are they chameleons? They might be just fine in that room as is. I'm still trying to learn your plan for the chairs.

• liasch
    8 months ago

Love the pendant, and your eclectic artistic international flair for choices in your interior… enjoying watching how this unfolds. I’d like to see some pillow choices on the white couch, in terms of helping with colour combinations. It’s an easy way to play around with colour in the space. And I am also unclear about the colour of chairs. I can see the fireplace working fine with your plans for that mirror… A clever idea.