Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_808261695

Ovens - Dangerous Enamel Chipping!!!! THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE

Yolanda
3 months ago
last modified: 3 months ago

Many people on the SubZero-Wolf's Instagram and Facebook accounts have been commenting all over that their new Wolf Ovens are chipping Blue Enamel and flinging shards of glass into their food during convection fan mode. Ya know - that same issue they've been having for the past decade, despite being sued $5 million for it, and again in 2018, and again in 2020. Then the class action lawsuits.

I've also seen people posting similar experiences here on Houzz. Some people's photos show VERY sharp shards of glass laying in their food.

SubZero-Wolf has disclaimer under each oven on their website that says: "Porcelain is made from natural products and, therefore, can chip or develop fine lines and cracks due to the expansion and contraction that occurs as oven temperature fluctuates (particularly when the self-cleaning function is employed). This can result in cosmetic imperfections, such as a cloudy, dull or scratched appearance. Cosmetic imperfections may be more visible in a colored oven cavity."

Anybody else find this 100% unacceptable?

If porcelain can chip and flake off into your food so easily ... STOP. USING. IT.

This reason alone was enough not to bother purchasing an oven from Wolf, no matter how many times they replace it. It's still a nuisance and safety risk.

I found today that their 24" E Series Oven does not have any blue enamel, rather a different Black enamel. I'm curious if anybody has this oven and whether they have experienced any enamel problems with the Black verses the Blue.

Last thing to note - This 320 comment Houzz Discussion Thread shows that people are having enamel chipping across the entire oven market - From GE to LG to Smeg to Whirpool and everything in between. Blue enamel seems to have the most reported enamel breakage, such as Kitchen Aid.

Comments (26)

• PRO
    DeWayne
    3 months ago

Dramatic much? Every maker out there makes a convection oven. ALL will have an enamel over steel coating, which has been the standard for the past 70 years. With no issues. You are buying into unneeded angst. If you haven't found one you like, you have very weird criteria, or are not looking hard enough at the total data over the almost half century that they have been in use.

• beesneeds
    3 months ago

NVM- OP changed the opening post after I posted addressing some of what has now been removed.

• Yolanda
    Original Author
    3 months ago

DeWayne, Nah, Blue enamel chipping is a widely known issue. CBS covered it the other year as well: https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news/you-dont-want-this-ingredient-in-your-brownies-porcelain-lining-can-chip-off-in-some-ovens-its-a-huge-concern/ . To say there is 70 years of "no issues" is factually incorrect.

• PRO
    DeWayne
    3 months ago

So, don't buy blue enamel. But, to irrationally brush with such a wide brush, the entire cooking appliance industry, just verges on the hysterically unhinged. Did your mom's black enameled oven spit glass chips into your food? Nope. Neither will 99.9999999999% of the market's enameled interior be a problem. And that's what to buy, if you have any concerns.

• darbuka
    3 months ago

The chipping problem is not throughout the industry..

8 years, no issues with my Miele convection oven.

• Iri
    3 months ago

Blue enamel probably just shows up in food better than black enamel. 😎

• chispa
    3 months ago

So Wolf is actually doing us a favor by having blue dye in their enamel! ;-)

• chispa
    3 months ago

I installed a 48" Wolf DF range in my previous house and a 36" Wolf Induction range in my new house. No issues with any of the 3 ovens with blue enamel ... but I am not a huge oven user when cooking and when I do use the oven it has usually been the Miele CSOs I also installed in both those kitchens.

• MizLizzie
    3 months ago

I had blue enamel my previous Electrolux ovens, no problem. Very dependable ovens, used them for years until selling the house. Maybe it’s a Wolf issue? (My new Bosch are dark gray inside.)

• Pi_pumkin_sol3
    3 months ago

MizLizzie, what have you enjoyed more, Electrolux or Bosch?

chispa, that's a funny way of putting it re: wolf doing us a favor by providing a bright color. It was such a headache for me and I'll never do it again.

• remodeling1840
    3 months ago

I was told by Kitchenaid using the self cleaning function would void my warranty! In the same conversation their rep told me I couldn’t use Easy Off! Someone here on Houzz called me a liar.

• MizLizzie
    3 months ago

>>>MizLizzie, what have you enjoyed more, Electrolux or Bosch?

Boy, that’s a tough one. The Bosch controls are very clear cut IIRC, the Elux was less intuitive. So far as cooking . . . wow. Both are exceptional. I would happily buy either again.

My Elux fridge, however, was a total piece of junk. Barely outlived the warranty. And Bosch fridges have peeling paint. I always buy Bosch disnwashers. So. Just goes to show that you should never buy a suite of the same brand of appliances.

• RoyHobbs
    3 months ago

"I was told by Kitchenaid using the self cleaning function would void my warranty! In the same conversation their rep told me I couldn’t use Easy Off!"

The warranty document for your Kitchenaid appliance would say specifically what voids the warranty. You don't need an uninformed customer service rep to tell you, nor for you to take their word for it. There are a number of KitchenAid range and oven warranties online - no way to know which you are talking about or what model. Regardless, there is no mention in any of them that the self-cleaning function voids the warranty. So the Kitchenaid rep was blowing smoke on that one.

However, regarding Easy Off, that one may indeed void your warranty. Under the list of exclusions that are in appliances' warranties, all will have something along the lines of "Damage resulting from use of cleaning products not approved by KitchenAid" (or whatever manufacturer). Since we have seen on this forum people saying they had "no idea!" they shouldn't use Brillo/bleach/ammonia/scouring powders on their appliances, this warranty exclusion is not out of line. Somewhere online there is a list of KitchenAid's approved cleaning products for your appliance, and it likely does not include Easy Off.

"Someone here on Houzz called me a liar."

To be clear, my paragraphs here are not calling you a liar. The information simply provides clarification to your comment.

• dadoes
    3 months ago

"Remodeling 1840: I was told by Kitchenaid using the self cleaning function would void my warranty!"

That's among the most ridiculous things I've heard. It's impossible that an appliance manufacturer designs and sells an appliance with an included feature or function that voids the unit's warranty upon use.

• remodeling1840
    3 months ago

I thought it was ridiculous, too. Welcome to the new America. Nobody takes responsibility for horrid design of products.

• RoyHobbs
    3 months ago

@remodeling1840 As I wrote in my comment just above, the agent's assertion that using the self-clean would void the warranty is FALSE. So while I'd like to jump on the bandwagon about not taking "responsibility for horrid design of products", KitchenAid is not excluding their self-clean function from their warranty. KitchenAid will not void their warranty if you use the self-clean function.

However, KitchenAid should take responsibility for horrid training of their customer service reps.

• remodeling1840
    3 months ago

OK. I will consider myself chastised. Everything is wonderful. Butterflies and rainbows everywhere. How wonderful that someone has set me straight.

• RoyHobbs
    3 months ago

Seriously? Where was there anything chastised? OK, you are now making me think that your previous assertion that you were called a liar by people on this forum was actually your overactive sensitivity and no one did anything but clarify things. C'mon now.

• beesneeds
    3 months ago

Well, since it's been about a decade since the oven issue, I would guess that KitchenAid phone rep has probably moved on to other jobs. Likely hasn't told anyone how they can or can't clean an oven in ages. Maybe they got booted for giving out misinformation ;)

• Kate Cowers
    3 months ago

Wolf 36 inch dual fuel range, 8 years old. Blue enamel inside. Don't use it a ton but no issues. Used self-cleaning mode 2-3 times, no issues.

• foodonastump
    3 months ago

When I was looking at ovens a few months ago my wife loved the look of KA’s with the blue interior. I told her about the issues and she wasn’t fazed until I noticed blue dust and tiny shards in one. We took tissues and swiped every KA oven at the showroom. Every single blue one had the dust and the grays did not. I wrote to KA and mentioned this, asking if it was perhaps just left over from manufacturing, and asked if their past issues had been resolved. They did not answer my direct questions, but told me that if I had issues they’d send me touch-up paint. Needless to say, I didn’t buy one of these ovens.

• Mary Weber
    3 months ago

Anybody have Monogram Wall Oven? I hear they're supposed to be up there with Wolf but a little less money and black enamel instead of blue. I wonder how they hold up.

• foodonastump
    3 months ago

I can’t speak to the performance, but will say that our subjective opinion was that they felt cheap for the price point. Liked Cafe a lot more.

• AtelierQ
    3 months ago

I installed a 36 inch Wolf DF range (DF36450G/S/P, i.e., the "new" model) about 18 months ago. I'll post a full review sometime soon. It has a blue enamel oven. I use it A LOT and have never had any issues with chipping or flaking. None at all. And I've pretty much crawled inside to clean it (haven't used the self-clean mode however.)I know Wolf gets dinged on the forum a good deal, but I couldn't be happier. It makes me smile every time I use it :-)

• Ann
    3 months ago

I have a single Monogram wall oven with french doors and a Monogram Advantium wall oven. The wall oven has several nice options: bake/broil/convection/precision cooking/air fry/ proof/ recipes. The Advantium has microwave/oven/speedcook/crisp reheat/recipes. I love both of them. The only negative I have found so far is that it takes the oven a bit to preheat but it seems like that may be common with other new ovens as well. The do not look or feel cheap in my opinion. :)