Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
markay_6746

Who is growing Easy on the Eyes

I got this Easy on the Eyes for a new bed I was planning to put in, but that project has been sidelined and might never happen at this rate. I am trying to decide where to plant it now and was hoping to find more info on your experiences with it. My search of the forum didn’t turn up much. Is it fragrant? Does it stay the size you expected? Does it tolerate a bit of shade? What labting combination with it have worked best for you? I have a couple possible spots in mind, but I’d love to hear more about it before deciding on it’s eventual home in the garden.

Comments (28)

• Markay MD-Zone 7A (8A on new map)
    Original Author
    last month

It looks so pretty! I appreciate the pictures!

• mmmm12COzone5
    last month

Here she is June 16, 2021 so just a one year old plant.

Here she is as a newly planted band in June 2020.

• erasmus_gw
    last month

Your plant of it is looking fantastic, mmm. I have Eyes For You and wonder how this one is different from it. Seems like your Easy On The Eyes might be more floriferous.

Eyes For You

• mmmm12COzone5
    last month
    last modified: last month

Forgot to show the color variation. This is June 20, 2023, before the flowers get more white. They open more pink/purple and then whiten as the sun hits them.

July 1, 2023 from another angle shows the relative sizes of my roses.

Easy on the Eyes is the center bottom row. Iceberg is to the right of it. To the left the bigger one is Sally Holmes. There is actually a Calico Gal in front of it but they sort of blend together in the picture. Livin Easy is the orange behind it. To the right of that the not very dense one is Dainty Bess.

• mmmm12COzone5
    last month

I had never seen Eyes for You. It does look really similar. I chose Easy on the Eyes due to a recommendation of another forum member, Sam in CO. They had good luck with it and I thought the pictures were pretty. I am really glad I got it because it is a very rewarding rose.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    last month

I love Easy on the Eyes too and I find it's a consistent bloomer in good sun. In part sun it bloomed off and on but better than a lot of its neighbors. I'm planting replacements of as many of the "Eyes" series of Hulthemias as I can get and they tend to be well-mannered, consistent bloomers.

Cynthia

• erasmus_gw
    last month

I think it has more pink in it than Eyes For You. I really like the variety of colors in that second to last pic.

Cynthia, I replied to your message but don't know if you got it. I don't have your regular email address anymore.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    last month

I love this rose! It is just darling!! Its going on my list. It looks like bees would like the open blossoms. I wonder how big it would get in Florida..

• rosecanadian
    last month

Mmmm - how divine!!! Utterly gorgeous!! And I don't have any semi-doubles...but I bought this one and have it coming this spring. Now I'm really glad I did!!

Hmf lists it as strongly fragrant...so I'm hoping that will be the case. :)

• seasiderooftop
    last month

This rose isn't available in Europe yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed it will be.

I love hulthemia hybrids but unfortunately aside from Eyes for You they seem to all be lacking in the fragrance department. EfY definitely has good fragrance.

Easy on the Eyes is Sweet Chariot × Eyes for You so it should be fragrant, although some comments on HMF describe it as "nice and light" rather than strong. Looking forward to reading more reviews, especially from you Rosecanadian since I know fragrance is important to you !

• rosecanadian
    last month

Seaside - I'll keep you posted. :) :) Hopefully spring will eventually come here. lol

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    last month

Erasmus - thanks for your comment and email! I haven't gotten anything from you lately and can't post my usual email address on a public site. You can send something to my alternate email and I'll remind you of my regular email from there. My alt email is my user name here, 11, at ymail dot com. My user name is nippstress.

Cynthia

• dianela7analabama
    last month

I love these pictures. I ordered this one this year.

• rosecanadian
    last month

Dianela - I know, right? :) :) It was an impossible to resist rose for me too.

• mmmm12COzone5
    last month

I was the same way, once I saw a picture of the bush I had to have it. It wasn't one that would stand out in the green house so I wouldn't have noticed it on my own. But the garden performance is spectacular. The flowers remind me of carnations and I like having different bloom forms in the rose garden.

• rosecanadian
    last month

mmmm - I'm hoping that the bees love it. :) Its more simple form may be welcoming for them. :)

• dianela7analabama
    last month

Carol I have looked at it several times and never got it because I wasn’t sure about the different colors in one plant. It does seem to be lovely I. These pictures and it is supposed to have great disease resistance so I couldn’t resist. I am hopping it does great for you too.

• rosecanadian
    last month

Thanks, Dianela :) :) We'll rock this plant. :)

• Jadae
    25 days ago

Easy on the Eyes is among the best Weeks has introduced in some time. I recommend it for Oregon.

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    25 days ago

Great rose! reminds me of Blue For You

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    25 days ago

I have it too , no pics but Carol and sultry , the bees do indeed love it ! In fact when I see it at the local nursery it is always crawling with them ! That’s why I ordered it last year . If the bees love it well so do i ☺️

• Markay MD-Zone 7A (8A on new map)
    Original Author
    24 days ago

Lilyfinch, I’m so glad to hear the bees love it!! I am so excited about this rose now!!

• rosecanadian
    24 days ago

Jen - that's great to hear! I hope to see that in my own yard. :) :)

• dianela7analabama
    12 days ago

First blooms on my Easy on the eyes. The picture doesnt do it justice, I love it.

She is on the left, big pot getto this year.

• mmmm12COzone5
    12 days ago

Dianela, Very nice! It will just keep getting better and better. I was amazed at how nice Easy On The Eyes turned out. However it was beautiful at all stages.

• rosecanadian
    12 days ago

Dianela - she's still a baby and already looks wonderful!! I'm so excited to be getting mine...it's in the mail and on the way!!

• KrystalW 9b SoCal
    11 days ago

Daniela, so pretty! Mine is on her third year and she’s loaded with buds!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations